Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Which Digital Camera?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

JBMk1
JBMk1  1
20 Nov 2012 - 5:03 AM

Hi
I am looking to buy my 1st semi decent camera to start taking images as I love playing with digital manipulation software, just for fun, not a job or anything but bored of using other peoples images I find on the internet when I have an idea. I also live by the coast and see a lot of military ships go by so need decent zoom and video with zoom options. But as a care worker on minimum wage on teeny budget. (Saving up to get a really good SLR when i'm not so broke). I initially thought the samsung would be better as it is same price as fujifilm in tesco but with 70 off so technically the more expensive.
I have been looking at Samsung WB150 and Fujifilm FinePix S2980.
Fujifilm FinePix S2980 : Personal Advantages, start getting used to manual SLR esque settings, fast shutter speed for inpromptu pics
Samsung WB150 : Personal advantages : Size for portability, easy to use.

I have read reviews and they seem to be 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. I couldn't care less about sharing my photos online so this feature is neither good or bad to me.

Given my requirements and pic quality always going to be most important thing to me as I can learn quickly, any suggestions which to go for??? Any help appreciated. I've gotten myself quite confused. Thanks a lot. Jo

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
20 Nov 2012 - 5:03 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JBMk1
JBMk1  1
20 Nov 2012 - 5:17 AM

PS. Or suggestions of other cameras in this price bracket. Husband gonna kill me as I've told him I have definately decided but changed my mind again. Also will consider if only digital zoom on video mode if retains good image quality.

Also so you know I aren't an idealist, I know I'm not going to get the quality of an 800 camera but the camera is only as good as it's handler right? I know this as both my father and brother have mega expensive cameras with lens's costing twice my budget and on my wedding day the pics my step sister took with her 50, 6 year old point and shoot from argos were by far the better quality images. I know I also need to get good to do my equipment justice.

KarenFB
KarenFB Junior Gallery Team 84283 forum postsKarenFB vcard England163 Constructive Critique Points
20 Nov 2012 - 5:37 AM

Hi Jo, welcome to EPZ! Smile

The one thing we can't tell you is what camera to buy! Smile For a start, none of us would agree and it all depends on how a camera feels in your hands! If you scroll to the top and click on the magnifying glass by your name, you will be offerred a 'search box' - type in 'What Camera' and you will be offerred over 27,000 forum comments! Smile

Personally, I went with a Bridge Camera because I was a complete beginner and wanted to make sure photography was for me before I spent thousands on cameras and lenses. The first camera I used was second hand and quite old, but it did give me the confidence to go out and buy a new camera in that level. I wanted a good 'Macro' facility (my Canon S3IS has 0cm ability!) - saying that it only has 6 mega pixels and 12x zoom, the 12x zoom doesn't really give me the quality I want, but is something I can live with.

It sounds like the zoom function is something you would value, so the higher the better (though the higher the pricier!).

When you do find a camera you are happy with, I would recommend you looked at a few reviews before buying! If you can actually borrow one from a friend/relation even better! Smile As you say, 6 of one and half a dozen of the other! Enjoy! Grin

User_Removed
20 Nov 2012 - 7:44 AM

Quote: Hi Jo, welcome to EPZ! Smile

The one thing we can't tell you is what camera to buy! Smile For a start, none of us would agree and it all depends on how a camera feels in your hands!

You would certainly get umpteen different, unhelpful answers!

But I don't go with the "how it feels in your hands" bit. Until you know what you are going to be doing with your hands when shooting, it is really not possible to know how you want it to feel.

But, as a word of encouragement, my wife and I each contributed 6 photographs for our 2013 family calendar. I took mine with a 2000 dSLR (and about 5000-worth of lenses) and she took hers with a wee 350 compact. Quite honestly, looking at the printed images on the calendar no-one could tell which photo was taken with which camera. And the same would apply if she had used a 50 compact.

So, decide upon the minimum spec that would meet your requirements and buy the least expensive camera that meets that spec.

Good Luck.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 20 Nov 2012 - 7:44 AM
mikehit
mikehit  56485 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
20 Nov 2012 - 8:36 AM

Regards you two choises, both manufacturers have good reputation so you need to think about how you will use it. Do you want to take it with you everywhere you go in which case the Samsung seems better, or will you have a project in mind and then take the camera, and for that the bulk of the Fuji will not be so significant.
When looking at camera specifcations make sure you are looking at the optical zoom: the mega 40x zoom (or whatever it is some manufacturers claim) is often a 10x optical zoom plus a 4x digital zoom with the latter being no different to you cropping the picture in post processing.

Buying second hand can often get you an excellent deal, and if you do so through a shop you often get a limited (3- or 6-month warranty for example? I have had good dealings with London Camera Exchange and they arrange for delivery if you need it:
http://www.lcegroup.co.uk/Secondhand-Search/?Order=Latest&View=Grid&SHMa...

cats_123
cats_123 e2 Member 104023 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland25 Constructive Critique Points
20 Nov 2012 - 9:55 AM

Hi and welcome. I started off with a bridge, which was fine for learning soem of the basics, but I soon found that althouugh it had a x12 zoom there was a lot of noise in the images (probably due to hand shake). Not sure what your budget is, but you could probably get a refurbed DSLR and a zoom lens that will serve you better. Suggest you look at Tamron and Sigma lens which both perform well (all have their faults of course). In particular you might like to have a look at this `blog' on here where a Tamron 18-270 was road tested for a year.
Tamron 18-270. If you don't want to `mess around' changing lens etc...this might be a good choice and it's not too expensive. Good Luck Smile

MacroMeister
20 Nov 2012 - 9:58 AM

Jo

You might want to read this. DPreview are a very good resource for getting info on camera and lenses. This is their camera buying guide Buying guide

And this is really useful (also DPreview) - it's a camera feature search which allows you to narrow down your search to just a few makes/model/price camera search Click on 'show advanced filters' to widen the search.

You said quality is important. Well, you need to consider sensor size for that. Sensor sizes are compact, fours/thirds, APSC, and full frame, and they go in size from quite small to large in that same order. Although four-thirds and APSC are similar sizes. The cameras you mentioned are, I think, compact size. I used to have a FujiFilm bridge camera and it was compact size - had a lot of noise problems. But I'm sure they have improved since then. Generally speaking the larger the sensor the less noise you will have and the larger you will be able to print at high quality.

You might want to consider second-hand due to the budget thing. My 24-105L lens and my old 5D were both bought used, and I had no problems. Buy from a quality used company. NOT on Ebay. Try and get a 6 month warranty. Some offer it.

You could also go to a good serious camera shop (if you can) not BOOTS! Tell them your budget. Ask them what three cameras they would suggest for your specific needs (tell them what those needs are). Write down the details and prices. Under no circumstance buy anything while you are there - even if they have the greatest offer of the century. Go home and look up the three cameras on DPReview under 'cameras' and see what they say. Post the details back here and ask people here about them. When you have made a choice, go to Google and key in the make/model number and press 'shopping' on the left of the screen. That will give you a restricted list cutting out all the web stuff about the camera (which you don't need now you have decided) and will list all suppliers and the price. Pick an appropriate price, but makes sure it comes with all the normal warranties etc.

Wait for the Amazon van to arrive. I'd choose a day when hubby is at work. It's generally considered the best thing to do. Wink

Last Modified By MacroMeister at 20 Nov 2012 - 10:04 AM
MacroMeister
20 Nov 2012 - 10:08 AM

Sorry, I meant to add... if the camera shop prices are comparable to the web, you really might want to go back and buy from the camera shop - especially as they gave you some help. A lot of small or medium chain stores now price match web prices.

User_Removed
20 Nov 2012 - 10:56 AM

Quote: Sorry, I meant to add... if the camera shop prices are comparable to the web, you really might want to go back and buy from the camera shop - especially as they gave you some help. A lot of small or medium chain stores now price match web prices.

.... but be careful. Some of those chain stores won't even match their own web prices if you walk into the shop.

For example, Jessops' online price for the Samsung you have shortlisted is 99 but you may find that their in-store ticket price is higher.

And I had a crazy experience in PC World recently where the web price for an item I wanted was considerably less than their in-store ticket price and they would not sell it to me in the store for the web price. So I went home, ordered it on-line for "collect in store in one hour" and went back to the very same store to pick it up at the web price. Absolutely insane!

MacroMeister
20 Nov 2012 - 11:19 AM

Quote: Sorry, I meant to add... if the camera shop prices are comparable to the web, you really might want to go back and buy from the camera shop - especially as they gave you some help. A lot of small or medium chain stores now price match web prices.

.... but be careful. Some of those chain stores won't even match their own web prices if you walk into the shop.

For example, Jessops' online price for the Samsung you have shortlisted is 99 but you may find that their in-store ticket price is higher.

And I had a crazy experience in PC World recently where the web price for an item I wanted was considerably less than their in-store ticket price and they would not sell it to me in the store for the web price. So I went home, ordered it on-line for "collect in store in one hour" and went back to the very same store to pick it up at the web price. Absolutely insane!

Yes, I agree, it is crazy. And it makes the business of buying kit (especially for novices, such as Jo) very difficult. But you just need to be careful. Decide budget, what you really need as well as what you want, then compare prices and go for the best. Lord! we haven't even got to that business about the difference between US and UK prices... don't go there...Wink

Last Modified By MacroMeister at 20 Nov 2012 - 11:20 AM
SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64443 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
20 Nov 2012 - 11:56 AM

One shop I went into had the item I wanted but at a higher price than was shown on their website. Luckily they had terminals that customers could use in-store to order the item, then wait for it to come down from the stockroom. How's that for bonkers! Grin

User_Removed
20 Nov 2012 - 1:54 PM

Quote: One shop I went into had the item I wanted but at a higher price than was shown on their website. Luckily they had terminals that customers could use in-store to order the item, then wait for it to come down from the stockroom. How's that for bonkers! Grin

I think Argos do that.

I wonder what PC World would have said if, instead of going home and ordering online, I had asked to use one of their computers to do it from their store? Should have thought of that!

MacroMeister
20 Nov 2012 - 5:08 PM

Quote: One shop I went into had the item I wanted but at a higher price than was shown on their website. Luckily they had terminals that customers could use in-store to order the item, then wait for it to come down from the stockroom. How's that for bonkers! Grin

It's all part of the beautiful experience of living in a wonderful world...GrinSadSmileTongueWink Enjoy!

Last Modified By MacroMeister at 20 Nov 2012 - 5:09 PM
JBMk1
JBMk1  1
20 Nov 2012 - 5:34 PM

Hi all.
1st thanks for the many many posts and the very warm welcome.

I took your advise and scoured the shop and the reviews. I tried both phones and decided the Samsung was probably better for me as I am going to get an SLR in the next 18 months so a compact I can shove in my hand bag and be like a reporter, never without your camera and use the SLR when I know what I am doing for genuine projects.

The Samsung felt more sturdy then the bigger Fujifilm as it is a metal body (And I am a clutz and likely to break it - will be more careful with one I spent half a months wages on than one at 100 Smile This was poss the best advise I had in this as like I said the camera specs are so comparable. I did however carry on looking at reviews on here (some of the most comprehensive reviews I have seen as customer reviews are full of people complaining about problems with the camera as they haven't learnt how to use it - thanks reviewers) which lead me to find a very similar Samsung (WB700) which doesn't seem to be available in the shops but is online and looks very similar to the one I was looking at slightly better in spec but none of the Wi Fi gimmickry!!

The negatives on your review were things that don't really apply to me (Motion capture which I'll prob use but I tend to take staged shots and I prefer the imperfections of a spontenious shot. I don't always want the "best". Sounds odd but this is how I work, with the imperfections of real life. Beautiful. The Pros in the review being some cool filters I can play with (love the old film filter) and metal tri pod hole.

I'm amazed what you can get these days for 100!! I missed the old film cameras so much as early digital you pressed the button and some point years later I got a photo of my dog's bum!!! Glad this has been sorted. Well done manufacturers.

Right told Mr Jo I have changed my mind again have been given the compulsory glare and he has changed the order, again!

Looking forward to my birthday so I can have a play Smile

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315393 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
20 Nov 2012 - 5:35 PM

How tight is your budget, I know its tempting to buy the cheapest but its not always good.

If you can stretch to 200 there`s now plenty of CSC`s + Kit lens deals for less than 200.

Or how about looking at second hand or ex demo, again lots of the better compacts go for less than 200.

This Ex demo still comes with a two year warranty.

http://www.lcegroup.co.uk/Used/Olympus-XZ-1_63294.html

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.