Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Which DSLR is ideal for a rookie?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Jrmond
    Jrmond  2 United Kingdom
    12 Oct 2012 - 2:09 PM

I want to get this D40 I found for exchange at godigging.com and I was wondering if its the right choice for me to get into photography! Does it matter that the model is old?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    12 Oct 2012 - 2:09 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

SimonGrindle
    12 Oct 2012 - 2:14 PM

I was researching this for ages, and I eventually went with the D3100 Nikon - I paid 370quid for it brand new with the 18-55mm VR lens!

And its perfect for me, even has a programmed guide in the menu which tells you how to create different shots.

Jrmond
    Jrmond  2 United Kingdom
    12 Oct 2012 - 2:20 PM

Does that stand for all Nikons or just for the 3100?
    I am intrigued by the idea of exchanging for it, cause at the moment i am sort in cashTongue

PinkK
    PinkK  580 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    12 Oct 2012 - 4:13 PM

I started with a D40 with a 18-55mm kit lens, was/is a great camera. I learnt so much with it and achieved so much using it. I have recently upgraded to a D5100 and a 18-105vr kit lens and haven't looked back Grin

Newdevonian
    12 Oct 2012 - 4:15 PM

Quote: Does that stand for all Nikons or just for the 3100?
    I am intrigued by the idea of exchanging for it, cause at the moment i am sort in cashTongue

No. The more complex / expensive bodies assume a higher level of knowledge.

213hardy
    213hardy e2 Member 6570 forum posts213hardy vcard England
    12 Oct 2012 - 4:19 PM

I started with and still use my D3000, it has the 18-55 kit lens, but in addition purchased a 55 -300mm, this works for meSmile

Den

cozzmic
    cozzmic  2
    12 Oct 2012 - 5:05 PM

Get a second hand Nikon D5000, Cracking little camera, easy to use even in low light when you push the ISO. Had mine since 09 and have taken over 45000 pic's with it and still good as new.

Snapster
    Snapster e2 Member 2121 forum postsSnapster vcard England
    12 Oct 2012 - 7:51 PM

Personally I would at least pick a few cameras up and have a play with them before buying one.
    You tend to get a feel for what's right for you.
    Go through the menu options, what works best for you could be a nightmare for someone else.
    Have a think about the areas of photography that interest you, it will help you decide about the lens or lenses you require.
    Using the internet is great, but you can't beat hands on Tongue

Homebug76
    Homebug76  2 United Kingdom
    12 Oct 2012 - 10:17 PM

I have seen that on the Cex website you can pick up a D3000 body for quite cheap for now, they have a few more auto focus points than the D40 and the guide and menu is quite a bit more up to date than that of the D40. The D60 is a great camera too and has a few more mega pixels in its armory. Also what would sway me would be the price of a D40 because I have noticed they can still be a bit pricey. But having used a few Nikon's I would happily settle for a D60 or a D3000/D3100 if I had to rewind a few years and start again! Hope that helps a little bit! Grin

Sundowner2005
    13 Oct 2012 - 5:26 AM

I bought a second hand D40 from e bay i am very pleased with it.It came with a 18/55mm kit lens i added a 55/200mm kit lens.I am not a pro by any means but i find it very easy to use as for the pixel count that does not bother me as i am very happy with the results if like me you take photographs for pleasure its spot on i can go up to A4 size photographs with no problems it all depends how far you want to go but for me it just the job.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.