Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Which Email Client do you use ?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    devlin
    devlin  4651 forum posts India39 Constructive Critique Points
    12 Dec 2010 - 8:22 PM

Just looking to install an email client on my Win 7 64 bit netbook, for my gmail account. Thought id check for suggestions Smile

Cheers

PS: - Outlook and Live Mail are not in the running Smile

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    12 Dec 2010 - 8:22 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

devlin
    12 Dec 2010 - 8:35 PM

Thanks Chris is there a reason why you prefer the older version ?

devlin
    12 Dec 2010 - 9:34 PM

hmmm cant do anything about the tabs but i guess the minimize add on is available, just did a search on the addons and came up with the below Smile

Minimize Add On

cambirder
    cambirder  107202 forum posts England
    12 Dec 2010 - 9:46 PM

Quote: I hated the way the newer one worked in tabs, it didn't suit me but the dealbreaker was that v2 has an addon that allows it to be minimised to the system tray,

Tabs are set by default, but are user configurable so you get the option of opening messages in a new tab, a new window or the existing window. That addon is no longer developed, but there are alternative options

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    WilliamRoar
    13 Dec 2010 - 8:04 AM

I used to use Windows Live Mail 2011, before I downgraded.
    After downgrading, I went back to Windows Mail.

devlin
    13 Dec 2010 - 8:23 AM

Quote: I used to use Windows Live Mail 2011, before I downgraded.
    After downgrading, I went back to Windows Mail.

well Live Mail is certainly feature packed..but i find it a bit heavy on system resources given my config and resources

cats_123
    cats_123 e2 Member 104030 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland25 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Dec 2010 - 8:48 AM

Have tried Thurnderbird/Windows Live Mail 2011/Incredimail....but couldn't get any of them to recognise all of my accounts...am trialling Gmail (thanks to William) and it seems to be working Smile

devlin
    13 Dec 2010 - 8:56 AM

Quote: Have tried Thurnderbird/Windows Live Mail 2011/Incredimail....but couldn't get any of them to recognise all of my accounts...am trialling Gmail (thanks to William) and it seems to be working Smile

Not too sure but i think we have got our wires crossed here Smile iam talking about an email client to configure your webmail accounts...gmail is a webmail account much like hotmail, yahoo etc configurable for POP access on any email client Smile unless gmail have their own email client ?

User_Removed
    13 Dec 2010 - 10:48 AM

I used Pegasus for many years and changed to Thunderbird about 3 years ago. Have always updated when new versions came out, so now on v3.1.7

I think it is superb.

(Yes - the changes between v2 and v3 were quite significant and took a little getting used to. But perseverance paid off.)

devlin
    18 Dec 2010 - 9:59 AM

thanks guys..decided to go with thunderbird Smile must say its pretty slick Smile

devlin
    18 Dec 2010 - 2:38 PM

ok i installed the thunderbird, set up pop access for gmail account, but it doesnt seem to be downloading all the emails together, everytime i say get mails it downloads in a batch of say 100 and then i need to do "get mail" again, is there any setting i need to change to have them all downloaded at one go ?

nuthernut
    nuthernut  4 Scotland
    19 Dec 2010 - 10:50 AM

Gmail......say more....brilliant and secure!

devlin
    19 Dec 2010 - 11:37 AM

Quote: @OP There's some advanced POP settings in Gmail but I guess you'll have looked at those, maybe in the folder settings on your version of Thunderbird, where the retention settings are.

yes i did look at the gmail settings there's not much there, it just controls the dateline from which the downloads begin, couldn't find anything in the retention section either...it just controls the way messages are deleted / stored etc...and now its taken to downloading 20 per send receive instead of the 100 earlier..at this rate its gonna take me all week to download my stuff Smile

User_Removed
    19 Dec 2010 - 12:26 PM

We're maybe at cross purposes here. My normal e-mail is a standard POP3 system to my regular e-mail address via my ISP.

I do have a couple of gmail accounts that I use when I don't want to give my normal e-mail address (I would never trust gmail for any "proper" purpose - or any other web-based e-mail system for that matter, but Google is the most worrying), and I simply have those gmail accounts configured to automatically forward any incoming mail to my regular e-mail address. Those messages are, therefore, held on my ISP mail server until I open Thunderbird, whereupon they are all automatically downloaded into my Inbox along with my normal e-mails (or the Junk folder for those that get weeded out by my spam filter).

There is no limit on the number of e-mails that Thunderbird will download at one go - if I have been away from home for a few days, it can be several hundred.

So, without really understanding the problem you are experiencing, I suspect it must be with gmail rather than Thunderbird.

devlin
    19 Dec 2010 - 2:18 PM

Thanks Guys i guess the issue is with gmail after all Smile...ahhh well iam upto dec 2009 i guess i should be caught up by tomorrow..yes the web interface is good from a search perspective, however i was also keen on creating an offline repository as well, since i use this ID for all my online transactions records in terms of my investments...and some of those records are crucial Smile

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.