Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Which EOS

twistor 11 80 United Kingdom
1 Jun 2005 1:42PM
Hi all,

I have been using a Minolta A1 for about a year and a half but am getting bored. The depth of field, lack of ability to change lenses and general tedium of what is otherwise a great camera - for beginners - makes me want to move to a more pro cam like the Canon EOS. The trouble is which one should I go for. I want something that's gonna last and at the same time is gonna be a fun learning process, give great results and doesn't feel like a 10 pack of ciggies in my hand. I had a look at the 350 but I hated the feel.

If anyone can give first hand advice etc I would be most greatful. 800 is about my limit. I have a friend at Canon that can get a 25%.

Thanks in advance,

Twistor

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

sillyconguru 10 4.4k
1 Jun 2005 1:46PM

Quote:which one should I go for

Neither, get a Nikon! Don't go for cheapness, go for quality Wink>
twistor 11 80 United Kingdom
1 Jun 2005 1:50PM
Just out of interest why. I have read some pretty poor revues about Nikon. I've read some great reviews about the EOS 20D. Which Nikon and why?
sillyconguru 10 4.4k
1 Jun 2005 1:54PM
The 20D is a fabulous camera, it's no-wonder that you've read good reviews (out of your budget though).

Where have you read poor reviews about Nikons? I can't say that I've seen any. Don't write them off, handle some different DSLRs (including Pentax and Minolta). You may find that one suits you better.
bailey73 e2
11 357
1 Jun 2005 1:56PM
If you would like a Nikon I have a D1X available as I moved over to Canon yesterday - I have struggled to get accessories, lenses etc for my Nikon.....hence the change.

I will say Nikon do produce some very good reliable cameras but the 20D is fantastic.

Darren
u08mcb 10 5.8k
1 Jun 2005 1:58PM
20D is gettable for that price if you buy internationally.
sillyconguru 10 4.4k
1 Jun 2005 2:08PM
Or, with a 25% discount. Doh!
DanSig 9 288 Iceland
1 Jun 2005 2:11PM
well.. the 20D is great, but don't forget that you will not take any pictures with the camera only, you will need a lens and a compactflash card Wink

but the 20D gets the highest reccomendation everywhere, even from many nikon users Wink
MDR_Photo 10 872 England
1 Jun 2005 2:16PM
Cheeper option, if you like the technical stuff to do with the 350D and don't want to go up to the 20D is to try the 350D with a battery grip, I've read that helps with the feel?

Michael
da_nige 10 1.2k Scotland
1 Jun 2005 2:22PM
With a budget of 800 try to get a used 10D and some lenses and memory etc. It all adds up

Neil
steve_kershaw 9 2.3k 4 United Kingdom
1 Jun 2005 3:04PM
GET THE 20-D

then save up for some good lenses flash etc, you can allways add to a good camera
mattw 10 5.2k 10 United Kingdom
2 Jun 2005 5:58AM
Shame about the feel of the 350D isn't it - you either love it or hate it. try it with a battery grip, however the price would not be far short of the 20D anyway.

I am going to be contreversial here. If you have a limit of 800 - then have a look at the 300D. Still a good camera, and bigger than the 350D. You should be able to aford the camera AND CF card, AND a lens or two.

Mattw
Seconded!
2 Jun 2005 7:01AM
I often use my dad's 10D and it is absoloutley great. It produces cracking images, and is solid without being heavy! Isn't that what you are after?

We have just got a Canon EOS 3 and it is also brilliant, so it looks like the mid-range canon SLRs are what you are after.

Good luck.

Andrew
strawman 10 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
2 Jun 2005 7:23AM
ld get the 300D new and some lenses. The 20D looks good too. The D70 with kit lens and cash back must be tempting though. Too many choices. Try them and see what you like.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.