Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Which ePHOTOzine sub menu do you use?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
roxpix
roxpix  102236 forum posts Scotland11 Constructive Critique Points
30 Mar 2010 - 8:16 PM

But the new layout makes no allowence for the most popular sub-heading selections

Take 'Community' for example, the most popular sub-heading links are the ones furthest away from the heading itself, pure nuts!

Directly under 'Store' we have Instruction Manuals!!

I think it's safe to assume that the most popular sub-headings need to be directly adjacent to the heading itself, it doesn't matter that we can track anywhere on screen to click a sub-heading, we shouldn't need to, it's pretty basic web rules

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
30 Mar 2010 - 8:16 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

roxpix
30 Mar 2010 - 8:31 PM

Having just looked at the old layout the only heading that comes off the page is directories (on 1280x768) and even with bigger layout there is still only a couple that come close (sledgehammer to hang wallpaper it would seem)

Actually a better idea would be to simply amend the coding so that the old drop down menu style would hold say a maximum of 10 sub-headings vertically before it doubles up & sticks an adjacent vertical column on the right hand side of the first column for the next 10 sub-headings, it isnít rocket surgery, & it keeps 'most popular' directly next to the heading

Point is that the sub headings should never be to the left of the option weíve chosen, itís not natural

ChrisTom
ChrisTom  672 forum posts United Kingdom
30 Mar 2010 - 8:33 PM

What is a V5 sub menu ?.
Sorry I am not at all computer savvy.

davidburleson
davidburleson ePHOTOzine Staff 72236 forum postsdavidburleson vcard United Kingdom
31 Mar 2010 - 9:45 AM

roxpix, you have some very valid points about the drop downs. However, reading the reasons that you find it bad can easily be overcomed with a few design changes to the position of the submenu links.

The advantage with these 'mega drop-downs' is that it allows us to group items and gives us more flexibility to add and position things into the menu.

Member feedback is the best way for us to understand the ideal way to mold these drop-downs to work. You will find that on many other popular sites that have alot of areas like us that this approach is becoming more and more popular.

roxpix
31 Mar 2010 - 10:11 AM

Hi David, thanks for the feedback, I actually raised the sub-menu positioning back on 17th Feb but not as a suggestion so it may have been lost in the 50 page thread re Forum Upgrade

As a suggestion for the menu bar at the top, can we have the Photography Gallery immediately under the Photos tab as the first option?

At the moment there are 14 Gallery options in the box directly under Photos and the general Photography Gallery option is actually off to the left, who reads right to left!

Frequent user/members will soon get used to it but visitors are going to be lost

In fact the content in the three Ďboxesí for Contribute, Popular & Browse should perhaps be looked at re alignment to the menu option, as the most popular option gets further from the header tab as a user works across the screen

So I agree that re-positioning the sub menus so that relevance to the header menu is a consideration is a good way to go

Jestertheclown
31 Mar 2010 - 11:20 AM

I don't like either version of the new menus for all the reasons already stated.

In fact, to get from here to another section of the site, I click on my portfolio page and use the old menus from there.

Jester.

lawbert
lawbert  71641 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
31 Mar 2010 - 1:51 PM

That little tweak has done wonders for me, It is much easier to navigate directly to the Photo Gallery Smile

roxpix
31 Mar 2010 - 1:52 PM

What's this I see.....'Photo' sub-menus make a lot more sense, thanks for taking it on-board & illustrates (to me at least) that the other main menu headings should follow this format

Diana
Diana  72011 forum posts Netherlands19 Constructive Critique Points
25 Apr 2010 - 12:22 PM

Can we just have the old way of viewing the forums back please?

mohikan22
mohikan22  102180 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
25 Apr 2010 - 12:35 PM

^^ i agree.

Diana
25 Apr 2010 - 1:11 PM

There is a European directive to make all sites manageable and http://www.disabilitystandard.com/access.php

this also might be a worthwhile read, when I said earlier that the forums made me seasick, it was ridiculed but itís a common problem with people with dyslexia and other such wonderful abilities and gifts it just becomes a disability in a non dyslexic world

http://www.icaew.com/index.cfm/route/122877/icaew_ga/en/Technical_and_Business_Topics/Guides_and_publications/Small_Business_Update/Is_this_your_problem_Making_your_website_compliant_with_the_Disability_Discrimination_Act

cant do that link thing on here either now crikey how hard is all this ???

Last Modified By Moderator Team at 25 Apr 2010 - 2:05 PM
Diana
25 Apr 2010 - 1:14 PM

see what I mean?

here you go

cant do linkys now on this its way too hard

http://www.disabilitystandard.com/access.php

Last Modified By Moderator Team at 25 Apr 2010 - 2:04 PM
Diana
25 Apr 2010 - 1:16 PM

heres the other one

I wont come back to this cos I cant read the forums but I hope you take a look at the links and desingn something accessible for all and not just 'perfect' pepes Smile

http://www.icaew.com/index.cfm/route/122877/icaew_ga/en/Technical_and_Business_Topics/Guides_and_publications/Small_Business_Update/Is_this_your_problem_Making_your_website_compliant_with_the_Disability_Discrimination_Act

Last Modified By Moderator Team at 25 Apr 2010 - 2:04 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.