Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Which EPZ photographer has the most distinctive style?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

iainhamiltonphotography

janeyO, john tisbury, kitsch, horse just for starters but there are loads lol

certainly aint me im still trying to find mine lol lol

Iain Smile

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
12 Aug 2008 - 10:50 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
12 Aug 2008 - 10:53 PM

Although many people cant tell what images are mine by looking through the gallerys many claim to be able to tell what threads are mine just by looking at the title so i suppose i have a style of my own in some respects. james

JamesBurns
12 Aug 2008 - 11:11 PM

Quote: Although many people cant tell what images are mine by looking through the gallerys many claim to be able to tell what threads are mine just by looking at the title so i suppose i have a style of my own in some respects. james

James, we're talking about photography...

RogBrown
RogBrown  73001 forum posts England10 Constructive Critique Points
12 Aug 2008 - 11:49 PM

James, you really are a treasure. What would EPZ be without you? Smile
Rog

JamesBurns
12 Aug 2008 - 11:53 PM

Quote: James, you really are a treasure. What would EPZ be without you?
Rog

{raises hand}
Can I answer that one?
{/raises hand}

RogBrown
RogBrown  73001 forum posts England10 Constructive Critique Points
13 Aug 2008 - 12:07 AM

Quote: raises hand}
Can I answer that one?
{/raises hand}

Certainly you can, but I just have to say that, whenever I see Jame's name at the top of a thread, I just know that we're going to get something incisive, thought-provoking, controversial, but most of all, funny. More power to his elbow I say! Smile
Rog

Sus
Sus  93183 forum posts England9 Constructive Critique Points
13 Aug 2008 - 12:30 AM

I do tend to click before looking at who the photographer is, and find myself surprised by often clicking on the same people.

I wouldn't say they have a stereotyped style - but Imagio, MNphoto, sometimes urbanite, even justjas - I was getting bored with 'oh look at me can't I take an arty shot' and looking at photos that people obviously felt passionately about the subject, without trying to jazz it up with hypersaturation or fancy processing - well jas and imagio and ...sorry forgotten name that chap that lives down in the SW whose work I admire - they stand the test of time when Big Rocks In Front of Super Smooth Sea will die away.

MediumSizeUnavailable

Can I ask what is so distinctive about for example Keith's railway shots? Or landscapes? Not meaning to stirr trouble here, but what is it that makes them so distinctive that you immediately would recognize it as a KeithH upload, just from looking at the thumbnail?
to me it could be just as well be an upload by a number of other epz photographers who do the same kind of shots, and who are very good at it. do you guys see that just from the thumbnail? I mean, I'm not that much into landscape photography, so what is it that makes - for example - his photos so distinctive from other good photographers ? Style-wise I mean.

Most DaveU photos are very easily recognizable as a thumbnail (even when he - or his feet - don't feature in them Smile ).
Tom Hoops has a very distinct style.
François - fb101 nudes are quite easy to pick out from the gallery.
Hermin, can't miss him really Smile
Rarindra.

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014644 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
13 Aug 2008 - 6:18 AM

csurry

Paintman
Paintman e2 Member 7845 forum postsPaintman vcard United Kingdom173 Constructive Critique Points
13 Aug 2008 - 6:58 AM

I think Nigel pye, John Tisbury, PMorgan, Neil Higgins and Jolli have styles I can pick out easily from the thumbnails.

joolsb
joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
13 Aug 2008 - 7:17 AM

I think a lot of people are just pointing out contributors who take great pictures. Take Cheryl, for example. She's a damn fine wildlife tog but I don't think her style is particularly distinctive.

Style has nothing to do with preferred subject matter or use of particular post-processing techniques. It goes much deeper than that. IMO, it's more about what you bring to any given shooting situation and how you approach it - choice of viewpoint, choice of lens, detail or vista, choice of lighting, and, most importantly, pursuing a personal vision.

So, with all this in mind, and trying to stay away from the 'usual suspects', I would nominate Urbanite and riprap007 .

Last Modified By joolsb at 13 Aug 2008 - 7:17 AM
stolzy
stolzy  83753 forum posts7 Constructive Critique Points
13 Aug 2008 - 7:56 AM

Quote: ... many claim to be able to tell what threads are mine just by looking at the title so i suppose i have a style of my own in some respects ....

Priceless! Nice one, James.

javam
javam  91083 forum posts United Kingdom19 Constructive Critique Points
13 Aug 2008 - 9:10 AM

Some have already been mentioned, but for me, DaveU, Tandberg, Ade_mcfade, Csurry, Kitsch, Sut68, the_collector, jolli, David Constable, Codiac, pmorgan, to name but a few that spring to mind.

Neil

Geoffphoto
13 Aug 2008 - 9:14 AM

Still no mention..........sigh - I'm not playing any more !! Sad

Last Modified By Geoffphoto at 13 Aug 2008 - 9:15 AM
csurry
csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
13 Aug 2008 - 9:19 AM

Distinctive style, No.

Recognisable images from the thumbnails, Yes.

But is that necessarily a good thing?

I can recognise the work of many members through a "style", but generally it is a post-processing style. Applying a vignette or a certain border is not photographic style.

A distinctive style of photography would like Jools said mean something different to me.

I suspect that there is some element of style in some of my work, certainly my results tend to be quite different from others shooting at the same time of the same subject. My post-processing is very simple so I suppose what is in the RAW file is the style element. Which usually involves a narrow DOF, careful focussing and a pre-planned composition. My photography is probably about what to include in the image, whereas many landscapers are about what to exclude. Hard to explain that probably, but that's how I think about it.

I suspect that the people with a true distinctive style probably get very few votes and little attention in the gallery.

Grin

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.