Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Which Eye?

brian1208 e2
11 10.4k 12 United Kingdom
22 Sep 2010 4:49PM
I've just given my wife her first, brief lesson in using an SLR and she found she could only focus using her left eye to the view-finder.

I hadn't thought of it before but I instinctively use my right eye (we are both right handed). I can use my left eye but it feels a bit odd so I wondered what is the way you do it?

Is there a general trend for left-handed vs right-handed people I wonder?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

andart 12 481 United Kingdom
22 Sep 2010 4:54PM
I am left handed and use my always left eye.

Strangely though, I can only text with my right hand - wish I was ambitextrous Wink
timbo 12 591 United Kingdom
22 Sep 2010 5:02PM
I'm left handed and left eyed but (if i ever do) play cricket i play right handed
Overread 6 3.8k 18 England
22 Sep 2010 5:19PM
Generally you end up being opposite eyed to your dominant hand - so if your left handed your right eyed - this is certainly true for me. However I tend to find it far more natural to handhold the camera and use my left eye. So generally I'm always using my left, though when on a tripod and following motion I will oft slip to using either eye (bonus of using the right is having the left able to see a slightly wide view of the scene)
cameracat 10 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
22 Sep 2010 5:21PM
Left eye for the viewfinder, Feels wierd using my right eye.....Smile

Not only that if your a Nikon shooter, Using your left eye means you can train your nose to move the focus point control pad......Grin

Look Ma no hands......Wink

I'm right handed for most things, But in some situations the left works better.....!!!

Wink
Pete e2
13 18.5k 96 England
22 Sep 2010 5:24PM
right handed and right eye
AlanPerkins 9 472 England
22 Sep 2010 5:25PM
right handed and left eye here
whipspeed e2
10 4.0k 22 United Kingdom
22 Sep 2010 5:26PM
Left hand & left eye, but I always keep both eyes open when I'm shooting.
Overread 6 3.8k 18 England
22 Sep 2010 5:31PM
Whipspeed out of interest what is your right eye looking at? I tend to find if I keep mine open its getting a blurry look at the back end of a camera body Tongue
EddieAC 9 685 2 United Kingdom
22 Sep 2010 6:31PM
Left handed and left eye here too.

Would also play cricket right handed just like timbo.
Ewanneil 4 1.1k 2 Scotland
22 Sep 2010 6:59PM
Left eye for me but otherwise curiously ambidextrous. For some things I'm left handed (throwing actions) and for others (playing golf) I'm right handed. Otherwise, I can do most things equally well/badly with either hand.

I agree with Cameracat about being a left-eyed Nikon user though - your hooter does tend to move the focus point around. I haven't been able to train mine yet but I'm working on it.
NexusImages 7 1.8k 4 United Kingdom
22 Sep 2010 7:01PM
Right handed, left eyed (as this is my stronger eye) and I text with duel thumbs! Tongue
GPTek e2
8 440 1 England
22 Sep 2010 7:12PM
Right handed, right eye but use the mouse mostly with my left hand......
geoffash26 10 2.5k United Kingdom
22 Sep 2010 7:17PM
Right handed... right eye...and for action/ fast moving stuff I shoot booth eyes open which doesn't work left eyed as the camera body gets in the way
spaceman 10 5.2k 3 Wales
22 Sep 2010 7:31PM
Left hand, left eye. It was a little annoying in the days of manual flm-winding because I had to take the camera away from my eye to wind on the next frame. Such is life for lefties. God hates us. Sad

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.