Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Which Eye?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110307 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
22 Sep 2010 - 4:49 PM

I've just given my wife her first, brief lesson in using an SLR and she found she could only focus using her left eye to the view-finder.

I hadn't thought of it before but I instinctively use my right eye (we are both right handed). I can use my left eye but it feels a bit odd so I wondered what is the way you do it?

Is there a general trend for left-handed vs right-handed people I wonder?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
22 Sep 2010 - 4:49 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

andart
andart  12480 forum posts United Kingdom
22 Sep 2010 - 4:54 PM

I am left handed and use my always left eye.

Strangely though, I can only text with my right hand - wish I was ambitextrous Wink

timbo
timbo  12591 forum posts United Kingdom
22 Sep 2010 - 5:02 PM

I'm left handed and left eyed but (if i ever do) play cricket i play right handed

Overread
Overread  63770 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
22 Sep 2010 - 5:19 PM

Generally you end up being opposite eyed to your dominant hand - so if your left handed your right eyed - this is certainly true for me. However I tend to find it far more natural to handhold the camera and use my left eye. So generally I'm always using my left, though when on a tripod and following motion I will oft slip to using either eye (bonus of using the right is having the left able to see a slightly wide view of the scene)

Last Modified By Overread at 22 Sep 2010 - 5:30 PM
cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
22 Sep 2010 - 5:21 PM

Left eye for the viewfinder, Feels wierd using my right eye.....Smile

Not only that if your a Nikon shooter, Using your left eye means you can train your nose to move the focus point control pad......Grin

Look Ma no hands......Wink

I'm right handed for most things, But in some situations the left works better.....!!!

Wink

Last Modified By cameracat at 22 Sep 2010 - 5:22 PM
Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318446 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
22 Sep 2010 - 5:24 PM

right handed and right eye

AlanPerkins
22 Sep 2010 - 5:25 PM

right handed and left eye here

whipspeed
whipspeed e2 Member 104043 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
22 Sep 2010 - 5:26 PM

Left hand & left eye, but I always keep both eyes open when I'm shooting.

Overread
Overread  63770 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
22 Sep 2010 - 5:31 PM

Whipspeed out of interest what is your right eye looking at? I tend to find if I keep mine open its getting a blurry look at the back end of a camera body Tongue

EddieAC
EddieAC  9681 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
22 Sep 2010 - 6:31 PM

Left handed and left eye here too.

Would also play cricket right handed just like timbo.

Ewanneil
Ewanneil  41118 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
22 Sep 2010 - 6:59 PM

Left eye for me but otherwise curiously ambidextrous. For some things I'm left handed (throwing actions) and for others (playing golf) I'm right handed. Otherwise, I can do most things equally well/badly with either hand.

I agree with Cameracat about being a left-eyed Nikon user though - your hooter does tend to move the focus point around. I haven't been able to train mine yet but I'm working on it.

NexusImages
22 Sep 2010 - 7:01 PM

Right handed, left eyed (as this is my stronger eye) and I text with duel thumbs! Tongue

GPTek
GPTek e2 Member 8437 forum postsGPTek vcard England1 Constructive Critique Points
22 Sep 2010 - 7:12 PM

Right handed, right eye but use the mouse mostly with my left hand......

geoffash26
geoffash26  102506 forum posts United Kingdom
22 Sep 2010 - 7:17 PM

Right handed... right eye...and for action/ fast moving stuff I shoot booth eyes open which doesn't work left eyed as the camera body gets in the way

spaceman
spaceman  105166 forum posts Wales3 Constructive Critique Points
22 Sep 2010 - 7:31 PM

Left hand, left eye. It was a little annoying in the days of manual flm-winding because I had to take the camera away from my eye to wind on the next frame. Such is life for lefties. God hates us. Sad

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.