Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

which flash!

clicknimagine 4 221 88
3 Apr 2010 11:48AM
i have prepared myself to purchase a flash, i have found one a cheap option called Yongnuo YN460-II as a speed light, power can be reduced to 1/64 level(1/20000 seconds), i have already purchased a cheap radio trigger from ebay to trigger the flash off camera for the use of any purpose, and also build a sound trigger with the help of a friend for high speed photography,

but as this flash is very cheapGrin, i am in a doubt, whether it is reliable or durable, can anybody please tell me? or is there any other way out?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

discreetphoton e2
10 3.5k 20 United Kingdom
3 Apr 2010 12:19PM
As it doesn't appear to have any TTL communication modes, you may find it is a very steep learning curve. However, if you're into manual settings then it will be fine. Just be prepared to do a lot of moving between your shooting position and flash Smile
clicknimagine 4 221 88
3 Apr 2010 12:24PM
thanks friend, yes it is manual, but i have not other option for TTL, or can you name some where i can find TTL and Manual assuming my budget is about $100...
arhb e2
7 2.4k 68 United Kingdom
3 Apr 2010 2:13PM
I use the Yongnuo speedlite alongside a 580EX2, and it is very reliable, unlike the radio triggers I also purchesed from them.
As mentioned, no TTL, but also big contrast in power/light output when fired next to 580EX2.
Suffice to say, when using at 1/64 power, it's not that bright.
clicknimagine 4 221 88
3 Apr 2010 2:26PM
well thanks a lot friend, i have made a search through the web, i have found one called sunpak PZ42X, the cost is obviously more, but it has manual and TTL both, as well as the power can be reduced to 1/64 level, ( 1/13000 second ), will it be sufficient for high speed photography? if at the 1/64 power level Yongnuo can not produce sufficient brightness, then i think for high speed photography, it may not be very helpful, what do you all think?...
arhb e2
7 2.4k 68 United Kingdom
3 Apr 2010 3:44PM
That sunpak looks good for the price - recycle time being the only possible dis-advantage.
As to whether 1/13000 is fast enough, for HSF work, contact Cognisys - I'm sure they will give you better answers than I can.
clicknimagine 4 221 88
3 Apr 2010 4:58PM
thanks a lot friend, very helpful link you have given...

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.