Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Which flash for my Canon 350d (and future models). Canon 270EX, Jessops 360AFD, S...

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    ought
    ought  3
    9 Dec 2010 - 1:01 PM

Hello there,
    I have a Canon 350d and I want to get a hotshoe mountable flash for it, mainly to use for bouncing indoors to take more natural photos of people. (I'll hopefully upgrade my 350d some time soon, so it needs to work on later models too)

I only have a budget of £100, and closer to £60 or £70 would be better.

I am considering these:

Canon 270EX, Jessops 360AFD, Sunpak PZ42X or Nissin Digital Di622 and would be most greatful for any educated opinions ;o)

Thank you!!

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    9 Dec 2010 - 1:01 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Nigeyboy
    Nigeyboy  5534 forum posts United Kingdom
    9 Dec 2010 - 2:27 PM

Can't comment on the others, but I have the Di622 for my 400D and it works fine. Sure, its basic and doesn't have all the bells and whistles that the Canon flash units have, but I have had no problems with it at all.

chrisheathcote
    chrisheathcote e2 Member 7237 forum postschrisheathcote vcard United Kingdom
    9 Dec 2010 - 2:40 PM

Like you I have a 350d, I was recently looking at the same things as you, what I found searching was that the build quality varied between models. My recommendation would be to either stretch the budget or save for a canon unit I paid £180 from jacobs for mine. Other options would be to look at 2nd hand 430ex or 550ex.

chrisheathcote
    9 Dec 2010 - 3:35 PM

A further note, whatever you get I'd make sure it has swivel/bounce facility, you'll find that in the long run it will give you more flexibility

collywobles
    9 Dec 2010 - 4:34 PM

The only one is a 580EX II. Colin

ought
    ought  3
    9 Dec 2010 - 5:00 PM

Thanks for the reply, but £100 is my limit, I really won't use it too often ;o)

chrisheathcote
    9 Dec 2010 - 5:16 PM

Dont take this the wrong way, but what is it you are wanting the flash for? Is it a case you are missing something or is it you feel you should have one

Chris

chrisheathcote
    9 Dec 2010 - 6:19 PM

http://www.ephotozine.com/classified-ad/sigma-ef-500-dg-super--flash-for-canon-5...

May be worth a look

ought
    ought  3
    9 Dec 2010 - 9:33 PM

As I said, mainly to use indoors to take more sympathetic photos of people, and groups, and of general situations.

arhb
    arhb e2 Member 62052 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom67 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Dec 2010 - 12:24 PM

With the budget you have buy a Yongnuo flash gun, and with the spare change, buy a RF-602 radio trigger/receiver set. This will allow you to use the flash off-camera, which will give you better portraits as the flash wont be sat on top of the camera, which doesn't look like a natural light source.

Flash gun

Flash trigger set

The flash in the link is ~£60, but they do cheaper guns.
    The only downside about this system, is that you have to set the flash manually, as opposed to having ettl funtionality, but it really isn't rocket science - just a matter of whether you want the flash brighter or dimmer.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.