Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Which graphics card for Photoshop

Leif e2
10 722
25 Mar 2009 8:52PM
Does anyone have first hand experience regarding a suitable graphics card for Photoshop?

I have a Compaq SR5726UK PC, with on board Geforce graphics, and VGA output. I'd like a DVI output for optimum screen quality which means a new (PCI-Express) graphics card. But, for Photoshop does the graphics card do much? Would a Geforce 9500GT be worth buying or would it be wasted and should I get a more basic unit? (I assume graphics cards give you processing for games, not PS. I might be wrong.) BTW I don't do games, though I do use the DVD player and a USB TV tuner device, though the latter seems to work fine.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

riprap007 e2
10 1.6k 37 England
25 Mar 2009 8:57PM
any cheap PCI graphics card is fine for photoshop, as its (usually) 2D performance you want, and all cards for the last 5 years are more than adequate
Leif e2
10 722
25 Mar 2009 9:23PM

Quote:Any cheap PCI graphics card is fine for photoshop, as its (usually) 2D performance you want, and all cards for the last 5 years are more than adequate

Thanks.
Leif e2
10 722
25 Mar 2009 9:24PM

Quote:Choose your card carefully as newer versions of Photoshop take advantage of the GPU.

I suppose I should have said that I use CS2. I'm a cheap skate, and it does all I need.
Tony_W e2
7 128 5
25 Mar 2009 11:00PM
If you're buying a pci-express card, I'd recommend getting one that will work best with the latest version of photoshop as per the advice given by Chris. You never know when you may upgrade photoshop and the card should last you a good few years if chosen wisely.
Tony
cameracat e2
11 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
26 Mar 2009 2:01AM

Quote: last 5 years are more than adequate

That used to be the case, But a recent forum post on here asking for help with image issues and CS4 highlighted the need for a GPU with more grunt and the latest compatability with MS add ons, especially those in Vista.......!

Half decent cards are not that expensive these days, Shop around and you can get something like a Nvidia 9500GT or 9600GT with 512mb ram or more, For around the 60 quid mark......Smile

A good and powerful graphic card, Will take workload of the CPU as well, Thus you should get a small overall improvement in system performance......Smile
riprap007 e2
10 1.6k 37 England
26 Mar 2009 9:40AM
Leif is not using CS4 though
riprap007 e2
10 1.6k 37 England
26 Mar 2009 10:33AM
that's 'cos I don't expect everyone throws money at upgrading to the latest bloated new version of PS
Strobekid e2
8 369 United Kingdom
26 Mar 2009 11:00AM

Quote:That's 'cos I don't expect everyone throws money at upgrading to the latest bloated new version of PS

Actually, I've heard a lot of googd things about CS4 - 64 bit support, live clone tool preview, etc. It's a bigger jump than CS2 to CS3, IMO. As has been said, though, it using CS2, pretty much any card that's been released in the last 5 years should do the trick. But even for general PC use like watching films, especially if you intend on watching Blu Ray on your PC anytime soon, I would recommend getting a reasonably up to date card, which supports at least Direct X 9, or if possible DX10.
riprap007 e2
10 1.6k 37 England
26 Mar 2009 11:24AM
I was, and the advice stands
Leif e2
10 722
26 Mar 2009 3:21PM
There's no need to squabble. You've all given good advice which I appreciate. I will probably go for a Geforce 9500GT or similar, on the grounds that it is not much more than the cheapest card, and I MIGHT need the extra grunt. But I'll wait a while, cos I've just splurged out on a TV tuner.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.