Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

  • NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here


Which lens


28 May 2008 1:24PM
Im looking to buy a 18/200 or better still 18/250 lens can anyone give me some advice on a good quality lens. Im using the pentax k100 D camera.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

strawman e2
11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
28 May 2008 1:36PM
Yes buy two lenses. sorry but megga zooms are always a compromise, and they will struggle to even match the performance of kit lenses.
28 May 2008 2:14PM

Quote:Yes buy two lenses. sorry but megga zooms are always a compromise, and they will struggle to even match the performance of kit lenses.


I have the kit lens,sigma 10 20 and Tamron 70 300 as part of my kit. From what your saying John would a 18/250 be worth the invesment. My reason for the enquiery is it does get a bit of a strain sometimes lugging all this around and you can bet your life if I do only stick one lens on the camera and go with that something will crop up needing a lens I left at home. Saying all of that I dont want to compramise too much on image quality. Thanks for your help once again.
strawman e2
11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
28 May 2008 2:21PM
Ah its all perspective, when I travel light I only take the 17-40, 50-200 and 10-20. :-0

Another way of thinking of it, the 18-250 will weigh as much as the 70-300 perhaps a bit more. so how heavy is your kit lens, not too much I bet. So is it worth it?

In my view not, but we each draw our own conclusion.
28 May 2008 3:09PM
Thanks for the advice John will take a bit of time and think this one over, but have to say it would be nice just to stick the one lens on the camera and travel light.
kenp e2
8 96 United Kingdom
28 May 2008 6:28PM
The Tamron 28/300 takes a bit of beating!......Kenp!
28 May 2008 11:43PM

Quote:The Tamron 28/300 takes a bit of beating!......Kenp!

Cheers Kenp yes I have seen a few photos from different focal lenghts and it seems to perform quite nicely.
30 May 2008 11:59AM
I have a Sigma 18-200 zoom which I use on my K10D. The prime aim for acquiring it was to minimise the kit I carry when walking (a body and single lens) and it covers the wide range of landscapes to semi-macro. At the longer end I tend to switch on the anti-shake. I try to keep away from max aperture and have found the results to be perfectly acceptable but, as one might expect, macro results are not as good as a dedicated macro lens (105 mm Sigma). Hope that this helps.
30 May 2008 2:43PM

Quote:I have a Sigma 18-200 zoom which I use on my K10D. The prime aim for acquiring it was to minimise the kit I carry when walking (a body and single lens) and it covers the wide range of landscapes to semi-macro. At the longer end I tend to switch on the anti-shake. I try to keep away from max aperture and have found the results to be perfectly acceptable but, as one might expect, macro results are not as good as a dedicated macro lens (105 mm Sigma). Hope that this helps.


Thanks for the reply Im going to look into this a little longer and may be ask at my dealers if it might be possible to try on both lenses, but I better wait till he is in a realy good mood LOL.
31 May 2008 9:07AM
Just a thought but I have already the Tamron 70/300 apart from the wider focal range of the 18/200 or 28/300 would either of the lenses offer better results at 70 onwards than my 70/300. My only reason for thinking of buying the lens is to lighten the load Im not into any one form of photography just like to shoot what catches the eye.
31 May 2008 3:35PM

Quote:Just a thought but I have already the Tamron 70/300 apart from the wider focal range of the 18/200 or 28/300 would either of the lenses offer better results at 70 onwards than my 70/300. My only reason for thinking of buying the lens is to lighten the load Im not into any one form of photography just like to shoot what catches the eye.

I am either in macro mode - shooting mainly insects, when I need specialist lenses or in general mode when I just need something light. I too have a 70-300 Sigma APO which I use for macro work (can't afford a 180 macro) along with the 105 macro. The 70-300 will probably be as good as the 18-200 and with longer reach, but you would need to carry another short zoom, e.g. 18-55 to cover any landscape work. This was the dilemma I was in when I got the 18-200.
psoucy e2
6 2 Canada
7 Jun 2008 12:20AM
I was thinking about buying the Tamron 28-300 VC so I don't have to switch lens to often and was wondering about 2 things.

How good is the stabilization? I have a Canon 17-85 IS wich is pretty good at stabilizing, I get the 3 stops promised by Canon.

My other point is about the lens 6.3 max aperture at 300mm. I own a Canon 400D and I wondered if the 6.3 would make the autofocus more difficult. I pretty sure it will but how big is the difference compared to a 5.6 opening?
strawman e2
11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
7 Jun 2008 12:25AM
The mega zooms are not too good at focusing, so at f6.3 hunting of focus in less than good light is to be expected. mix that with the optical compromises for mega zoom makes them less than ideal.
kenp e2
8 96 United Kingdom
9 Jun 2008 9:35PM
I beg to differ on the focussing powers of the 28/300 Tamron!...this is a much underated lens....it knocks spots off the 70/300 and other lenses in its class.........Check out my portfolio page4...Mr Heron!....taken hand held with my Istds,he was sitting on top of a building so the blue behind is pure sky!..lol
psoucy e2
6 2 Canada
10 Jun 2008 5:20PM
The image quality is stunning, the image is pin sharp. But it was taken in bright daylight. I was wondering how much of a difference the 1/3 smaller aperture made in lesser light. Let's say in a situation needing f8 @ 1/25 to get a correct exposure.

And nobody said anything about the VC. How good is it?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.