Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Which lens is best for Nikon D80?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    laurenculbert

I'm relatively new to SLR photography and have just brought a Nikon D80. I have a standard lens for it but the pictures look brilliant but not as clear as I would like. Can anyone recommend a lens that will produce really nice crystal clear images? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    4 Jul 2013 - 9:36 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Coventryphotog
    Coventryphotog Junior Member 1149 forum posts United Kingdom
    4 Jul 2013 - 10:15 PM

If you say what sort of images to like to shoot, macro, portraits, landscape and so on - and which lenses you already own i'm sure someone will be able to help.....until then it would all, be pretty pointless and of little assistance to you Smile

Of course crystal clear images are not arrived at solely by buyng new lenses.....

Hope you enjoy your new purchase.

Last Modified By Coventryphotog at 4 Jul 2013 - 10:16 PM
    GarethRobinson
    4 Jul 2013 - 11:04 PM

mention a budget also.

Post some examples of the images you have taken and not retouched and explain what you see is wrong with them. This will help others to see if its user error, camera, lens etc and then they can advise.

Last Modified By GarethRobinson at 4 Jul 2013 - 11:07 PM
    thewilliam
    4 Jul 2013 - 11:36 PM

The Nikon standard lens is capable of very good results, so do a few checks before you spend any money.

Two very common causes of slightly fuzzy pictures are incorrect focusing and camera-shake.

1. Make sure that auto-focus is switched on. There is usually a switch on the camera and lens.
    2. Select the appropriate focusing point - your intended sharpest part of the picture that you're taking.
    3. Take some pictures with the camera on a tripod or braced against something solid to eliminate camera-shake.
    4.. Check the ISO is set to a value that won't give excessive noise like 200.
    5. Set the "mode" of the camera to P so that the camera selects a good combination of shutter speed and aperture.

laurenculbert

Thanks for your replies. The budget I will be looking at is no more than 200. I think it is mainly the ISO setting I am getting wrong but thought a better lens might help too. I like either portrait photography (of dogs) or outdoor and action photography (again of dogs). I have added two pictures which I have taken below so you can see what I mean about the 'fuzziness'. Thank you for your suggestions you have added already, I will give those a go.

dsc-0167.jpg

dsc-0023.jpg

thewilliam
    7 Jul 2013 - 11:01 PM

Remember that ANY lens can only focus on one distance at at any one time.

Anything that in front of the focus point, or behind it, will get progressively less sharp and that's what I see in both examples. You get greater depth of field by stopping down.

Pushendu
    Pushendu  1 India
    9 Jul 2013 - 8:35 AM

Hi brother,
    If its helpful, I will like to share some experience.
    High ISO is what I can see in the 2nd picture. Which can't be corrected by any lens, its the property of camera sensor. Well, what you can do is, try to take pictures in good light, not at late evenings, this gives more freedom.
    And, photographing dogs had two parts, one is being friendly with them and feed them cookies or,some light deit food constantly in shoot. And, shooting in between 12-4 pm with sufficient light. So that camera adjusts for,fast enough shutter speed and less ISO.

Another thing is, keep your aperture small, means big value like 11-14 for good depth of field. This will give more freedom even if subject move. And, change your focus mode to AI SERVO. This is for locking focus of moving object and even if you turn your camera little bit. This helps a lot.

Shoot on AV (aperture) mode. I hope it helps a little.
    Thanks and Cheers!

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.