Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Which lighting kit? - any help greatly appreciated

Gaz_H 8 150 1 United Kingdom
28 Dec 2008 2:42PM
Although i'm predominently into landscape photography I initially got into photography to take high quality photos of the kids.

I would like to purchase a studio lighting kit for this reason - not something that is going to last for five minutes before I feel the need to upgrade but I don't want the rolls royce either. I would like to use both black and white backgrounds.

Any advice on what to get would be greatly appreciated as this is a new area to me. I was looking at these:-

Lastolite Lumen8 400 2 Head Softbox Kit
Kit includes:
2 x Lumen8 400 heads with power cables and modelling lamps
2 x 60cm EzyBox softboxes
2 x Lastolite air-damped stands
2 x 18.5cm standard reflectors
1 x Sync lead
1 x Wheeled carrying case

Flash energy 400 w/secs
Guide number (std reflector) 60 (m/100ISO)
Flash adjustment 5 stops
Recycling time 0.4-1.6 secs
Modelling lamp 230w
Fan cooling No
Auto power dumping Yes
Charge ready beep Yes
Reflector included Yes
Dimensions 41 x 18 x 21cm
Weight 2.5kg

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

monkeygrip 6 574 6 England
28 Dec 2008 2:55PM
Have a chat with Danny James at elemental he is a member on here and has his own studio and lighting business we recently did a shoot meet at his place and his kit is very good and competetive especially for fellow EPZ members.

He will not only give honest pros and cons of his lighting units but will give advice on what pieces of kit are best to buy for the type of set ups you want to do.

I dont think the moderators mind people giving his website out on here www.studio-flash.com

I recently bought the Interfit EX150 Mk2 kit and have had some great results from a very cost effective kit.

Good luck with your search.

Stu
30 Dec 2008 10:39PM
Thanks Stu - I've decided on a Interfit Stella X setup. I can get a 300w version for 408 from speedgraphics or a 600w version for 488.

Which would be the best one to go for? Mainly going to be used for small studio stuff but might want to expand to larger subjects in the future (ie. 20ft x 10ft steel ones).
rictac2 10 150 England
30 Dec 2008 11:36PM
Hi Gaz

Ask me for your spec/budget if you like, PM or email me through ePz directory.

Richard
PhotoSkill
31 Dec 2008 5:43PM
Hi Richard,

Budget is about 600 - 650 max. Req'd mainly for family portraits or small groups. I need to be able to work well with white backgrounds / floor coverings.

I was thinking of the Interfits because that gives me the cash to buy a 3rd Light unit for the white at a later date and it uses the S-bayonet but not sure on whether to go 300w or 600w.
sberlyn 7 426 1 England
31 Dec 2008 6:21PM
Gaz,

PM me.

S
tomcat e2
9 6.0k 15 United Kingdom
31 Dec 2008 6:48PM
You could try here Gaz.

Adrian
Gary_Fife 5 5
4 Jan 2009 9:53AM
Yeah I bought the Elelmental Lencarta setup and great have had Interfit before but preffered these.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.