Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Which Macro Lens for Sony a65

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Deanoa65
    Deanoa65  1 Wales
    7 Jan 2013 - 7:49 PM

I recently purchased my first Digital camera. As a beginner I went for the Sony a65 and am looking to purchase a new macro lens. Having done some research I have identified the new Sigma 105mm and the Tamron 90mm as the front runners. However a colleague has mentioned that as the body has "Steady Shot" inside there is no need to buy a lens with built-in image stabilisation. How does the stabilization in the lens and the body interact with eachother? Do they aid eachother or counteract eachother? Some advice from an experienced user would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    7 Jan 2013 - 7:49 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

hobbo
    hobbo e2 Member 3797 forum postshobbo vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Jan 2013 - 6:25 AM

I have a SONY A55.................my most expensive but cracking lens is SONY's own 2,8/100 MACRO........you can see what it can do if you look at the earliest shots in my EPZ portfolio:

It make a fantastic ....Street photography....lens too, once you get used to it......

If your strapped for cash....you cant beat fitting a RAYNOX 125 to the front of an existing zoom lens...Google RAYNOX.....they are only circa 60.

Hobbo

strawman
    strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Jan 2013 - 11:20 PM

I picked up a sigma 105mm EX for not much at all and it is a good lens for the money I paid and the Tamron 90mm is a lens with a fan club. The versions I have used are the pre-IS ones. Generally the advice is to use one IS or the other, not both at the same time as they may interact and create blur. In the one review I have seen the in-lens IS did better than the in-body IS.

So you have the luxury of looking at some older 2nd hand lenses and using your in-camera IS or going for a new one. I have no doubt Sony's own macro lens is a cracker,(not used it) but I have found the Sigma and Tamron prime macro lenses to be good.

Deanoa65
    Deanoa65  1 Wales
    10 Jan 2013 - 4:53 PM

Thank you both for your advice - much appreciated. As a result I opted for the Tamron 90mm. Ordered through WEX and had great service. Unfortunately there seems to be an issue with the lens! On several occassions, as it goes through its focal range hunting for focus it will stop at full length, make a slight clunk noise and display an error message reading "support lens - adjust custom settings". The aperture will also go blank and flash! Have either of you ever experienced this? Looking through the web there are a few posts around it all of which seem to point at the connections?

strawman
    strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Jan 2013 - 12:45 AM

Hi sorry to hear that. Not used the tamron on a Sony so is it something specific to Sony? It could be lens contact issue reading some posts related to Sony cameras so clean the contacts and try again. If not just return to WEX, sorry it is not working out for you.

bikerbob
    bikerbob  12173 forum posts
    11 Jan 2013 - 7:59 PM

HI there I had a similar problem some years ago with aTamron 18-250 and the A100 it would work Ok for awhile and then lose the aperture reading and you could not shoot any images you had to remove the lens then refit and it would be Ok maybe for an hour a week maximum 3 weeks then same again Sony did not want to know only guarantee sony lens on sony cameras even though the lens worked perfectly on a friends A100 and a neighnbours A350. Problem was the aperture contacts between lens and camera were not aligned correctly. Have now got an A700 which I have had for about 4 years now and am using the same Tamron lens never had a problem. Could you maybe get a friend with a Sony camera and try the lens on and see if you get the same problem then you will know.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.