Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Which magazines do you buy ?

c_evans99 11 7.0k 1 Wales
3 Oct 2006 1:52PM
I used to get B&W and while some of the content was very, very good (especially articles on 'past masters'), as lot of space was devoted to printing techniques for fairly poor photographs, and very little to exposure sdvice other than the inevitable articles on the zone system.

Ceri

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Fishnet 10 5.0k 5 United Kingdom
3 Oct 2006 2:02PM
I agree with them repeating themselves, I have been buying them on and off for 2 years now and it's got to the point where I don't need to buy it because I already have it in my folder, also I get fed up with PP and PM coming out on the same day and more often than not having the same theme.

I also think there are too many landscape articles but then that's probaly because I live in inner London and the chances of me ever getting out to the countryside are nil, therefore at least 70% of the mag is useless for me, so I just resent all landscape articles lol.
Just because you live in inner London doesn't mean you can't take landscape shots. Okay, I know you can't have fields of cows and sheep as far as the eye can see, but that shouldn't stop you going to some of the big parks in London. And what about urban landscape?
Goatsmilkuk 10 783
3 Oct 2006 2:12PM
I buy DCM but I'm starting to get a bit bored with it as it seems repetitive.

Stu
3 Oct 2006 2:15PM
It's difficult when you have to be back to pick the kids up from school and you have a small baby too, it'll be a long time before I get to do landscapes and I'm not too comfortable getting the camera out in the streets round here, especially since I was accosted in broad daylight and threatened with my baby being thrown into the road a couple of months back.

Anyway, that's by the by, no landscapes for me really Sad
jimbo_t 11 959 England
3 Oct 2006 2:15PM
I get EOS and PP and I usually pick up PM and OP. I tend to avoid the digital based mags as they don't talk about photography enough for me, they can be a bit too computer orientated for my liking.
james
MikeBonsall 8 474 3 Guernsey
3 Oct 2006 2:16PM
I tend to always buy Outdoor Photographer and some of the others when I'm bored at lunchtime. Yes I know they're a waste of money but I like looking at the pretty pictures!

I do find that magazines have gone down the same 'lazy' route as television. Why bother writing an original, in depth article when you can fill 10 pages with 20 ways to shoot this or that!

Someone did give me an old copy of Black & White Photography recently which was refreshing in it's in-depth approach.
3 Oct 2006 2:19PM
Perhaps it might be more accurate to say that they concetrate on a very narrow definition of landscape photography, one that requires you to arrive at a lonely spot when the light is fading...
stevekhart 8 4.5k 3 United Kingdom
3 Oct 2006 2:20PM
Professional Photographer
BJP
AP
Cbeebies weekly (so that my daughter is kept quiet whilst I read my mags!)
keithh e2
11 23.4k 33 Wallis And Futuna
3 Oct 2006 2:21PM

Quote:Perhaps it might be more accurate to say that they concetrate on a very narrow definition of landscape photography, one that requires you to arrive at a lonely spot when the light is fading...

on and on.......and on.....and on
Wink
3 Oct 2006 2:23PM
Yes I agree, it's always green fields and blue skies or else rugged coastlines, some urban landscapes would make a nice change.
3 Oct 2006 2:26PM
Give me MCM anyday - their articles on how to carry on photography a a hobby without hurting the war effort are just pure gold... or 'Photography' in its heyday when you could count on a Hardy feature, or Doisneau, whole series on acutance with wordy letters from the main protagonists, and technique sections that didn't start with a Beatonesque 'first buy a dedicated lens...'

Ceri
MikeA 10 1.2k England
3 Oct 2006 2:29PM
PM
Digital Photo Art Bi-monthly
Mono Bi-monthly
Lenswork Bi-monthly
and
RPS and Digit come which with the RPS subscription.
macroman 11 15.3k England
3 Oct 2006 2:34PM
None, except for the occasional odd one that has something of interest,But they are becoming as rare as hens teeth.
Hey, what about a epz magazine you could get on the newstands, for those who don't have internet connection? What do you think, Pete?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.