Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Which mirror less

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

c40uk
c40uk e2 Member 179 forum postsc40uk vcard United Kingdom
31 Oct 2013 - 10:30 AM

I'm after a new camera and am going m43 now I'm stuck between omdem5 which are a good price , also like the g6 and gx7 but seem to be going round in circles. Reading reviews ,

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
31 Oct 2013 - 10:30 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mikehit
mikehit  46182 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
31 Oct 2013 - 11:39 AM

For general photography with high-quality output in a smaller package than a DSLR then any of the models will do you well - differences are smaller than most people's capability and it comes down more to handling and ergonomics. None of the above are particularly good at tracking in sports/wildlife and the new EM1 seems to be much better in that respect.
Personally I prefer the handling of Panasonic both the button layout and the menu structures which make it (to me) more intuitive and I think it has a slight advantage in low-light focusing; the EM5 has better dynamic range but I still have to consciously think about what I am doing with it, plus the EM5 in-body stabilisation is a bit better than the in-lens stabilisation of the Panasonic lenses and because of IBIS the Olympus lenses are cheaper and slightly smaller. I am sure these comparisons will also hold for G6 and GX7.
If the GX7 had been available when I bought the EM5 I may well have gone with that instead - I am surprised how much I used the rotating (detachable) viewfinder on the GX1 and it is one of the small things that appeal to me.

I would strongly suggest getting to a camera shop and handling them because the feel will be so important (more so, IMO, than for DSLRs). But as I say, any of them will do you well.

ChrisV
ChrisV  7727 forum posts United Kingdom26 Constructive Critique Points
31 Oct 2013 - 1:31 PM

I'd concur with the above. I have a G6 and it is a lovely little camera to use - it has a number of nice little bells and whistles like in camera HDR and a dedicated sweep panorama setting which works quite well. One note of disappointment for me with the camera is that it feels a little light/plasticky. The GX7 wasn't available at the time I bought it and although I haven't handled one, I would expect the build quality to be a lot better, the EVF superior and IQ [very marginally] better. But the EM5 is also well worth considering - it's well built, has dual controls [the G6 only has one, but it's a push dial that will go between shutter and aperture values in manual and in shutter/aperture mode doubles for exp comp], live bulb and the 5 axis IS. The GX7 is the first Panasonic to feature in-body IS, but only two axis.

Which one you go for will depend on how important any of these things are to you and your shooting/handling. If you can have a play with each, that would be ideal, but they're all good cameras. I'm in the fortunate position of [this morning] taking position of the EM1, which appears to have all the boxes ticked. I haven't got the battery charged yet so I'm waiting [impatiently] to try it. My first impression is that it's built like a tank - build quality equivalent to a pro-level DSLR, including the 12-40 lens. That does however mean it's also the biggest and heaviest m4/3 camera I've ever held, with or without the portrait grip. It's still tiny compared to my 5DII though.

Personally I'd love to have a GX7 too - but that would be just getting silly...

joshwa
joshwa ePHOTOzine Staff 3596 forum postsjoshwa vcard United Kingdom
31 Oct 2013 - 3:00 PM

We've just updated our Top 10 Mirrorless article here:
http://www.ephotozine.com/article/top-10-best-mirrorless-compact-system-cameras-...

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314957 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
31 Oct 2013 - 6:18 PM

Quote: I'm after a new camera and am going m43 now I'm stuck between omdem5 which are a good price , also like the g6 and gx7

The EM5, especially at these reduced prices, nothing else can match it at its price or with its features.

THere was a lot of fuss other the GX7, after I handled it it left my cold, its nothing all that special.

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 31 Oct 2013 - 6:20 PM
c40uk
c40uk e2 Member 179 forum postsc40uk vcard United Kingdom
1 Nov 2013 - 7:10 AM

must admit if the gh3 had in camera hdr and panoramic modes the choice would be easy . and yes the omd em1 does seem to tick all the boxes except the price

ChrisV
1 Nov 2013 - 11:51 AM

Yeah, it is looking pretty expensive at the moment and I'm sure the price will come down over time. By which time of course there will be something bigger and better to tempt us all.

Didn't know you were considering the GH3 - great build, great ergonomics and reputedly the best video from any DSLR of any type in terms of output quality [not of primary importance to me]. It's also looking like something of a bargain if you compare it against the EM1 - which unfortunately it also looks slightly dated against. But I'm sure the bangs and whistles aside [principally PDAF for focus tracking], the brilliant EVF and so on - there's probably only differences in IQ at the highest ISOs.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314957 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
1 Nov 2013 - 12:31 PM

Quote: Yeah, it is looking pretty expensive at the moment and I'm sure the price will come down over time

Guess it all depends on how well they sell, it was a good 18 months before the price of the EM5 started falling.

I thought it was a pretty good value including that new lens, the GH3 with the 12-35mm sold for a similar price early on.

But I do like the GH3, its a nice camera.

mikehit
1 Nov 2013 - 12:56 PM

I suspect the EM1 price will drop quicker than the EM5 price did - the EM5 was a real gamechanger and it was a good year before anything else really competed against it either by reputation or overall quality (it is still probably the benchmark). Now the EM1 has competition from GX7, EM5, GH3, EP5... and that is only in the MFT stable and choice depends on your preference for image quality, functionality, ergonomics and price point. We are really spoiled for choice now.

ChrisV
1 Nov 2013 - 1:00 PM

I haven't had a lot of time to play, but the new lens looks like a bit of a cracker. I've taken some tricky shots of an awful subject [don't ask], wide open[f2.8 - flat subject] @ISO1000 that look sharp as a tack at 100%. The dynamic range is also impressive - a black letter on a black background [seriously!] being quite distinguishable.

I did frighten the life out of myself yesterday when first firing up the camera and it seemed to be focusing only manually [other lenses were OK]. I then realised I'd inadvertently pulled back the sleeve on the front focus ring that sets it into manual [I've never had a lens that's worked that way before].

It ought to be good glass for the money I suppose, but the cheapest way of getting it was in the kit - which was a significant motivator for me choosing the combo. I wanted a fast, quality zoom as much as a sturdy primary m4/3 body.

Steppenwolf
1 Nov 2013 - 2:47 PM

The EM1 looks pretty good. The only trouble is - from my point of view - is where are the long primes? You can get 4/3 lenses and an adaptor but they're very slow according to DPR. The other thing that worries me is the EVF configurability - can it be set up "effects on/effects off" to allow for a bright sunny day? The reviews don't say.

Paul Morgan
1 Nov 2013 - 3:05 PM

Quote: The EM1 looks pretty good. The only trouble is - from my point of view - is where are the long primes?

How long do you want to go.

There was talk of Panasonic working on something, can`t remember what it was now, but long fast primes will cost.

Personally I would be happy with the little Sigma 60mm (120mm equ) I wouldn`t need anything longer Smile

[quoteI did frighten the life out of myself yesterday when first firing up the camera and it seemed to be focusing only manually [other lenses were OK]. I then realised I'd inadvertently pulled back the sleeve on the front focus ring that sets it into manual [I've never had a lens that's worked that way before].

It ought to be good glass for the money I suppose, but the cheapest way of getting it was in the kit - which was a significant motivator for me choosing the combo. I wanted a fast, quality zoom as much as a sturdy primary m4/3 body
[/quote]

Yes its similar to the 12-50mm in that respect though obviously better made, physically and optically, I believe the lens is fairly compact, I`ve not seen one as of yet to hold in the hand.

You should be enjoying the IS Smile

zaini041
1 Nov 2013 - 6:14 PM

Even one of the masters in photography, Ansel Adams, didnít expect to get more than 12 great photographs each year.
(link removed by moderator)

Last Modified By Moderator Team at 1 Nov 2013 - 6:18 PM
mikehit
1 Nov 2013 - 6:24 PM

Quote: There was talk of Panasonic working on something, can`t remember what it was now, but long fast primes will cost.

If I recall correctly it is the 150mm f2.8 and costs is predicted to be in the range of $3000. Due out mid next year.

Quote: Even one of the masters in photography, Ansel Adams, didnít expect to get more than 12 great photographs each year.

LOL! And I bet his rejects would be floor droppingly brilliant if I had taken them!

Paul Morgan
1 Nov 2013 - 8:49 PM

Quote: If I recall correctly it is the 150mm f2.8 and costs is predicted to be in the range of $3000. Due out mid next year

I can`t see many selling at that price, sigma will probably come along release something similar for 300 quid Smile

There is a bunch of primes for M4/3, I can`t remember who makes them but they sell for many thousands each, I believe the lenses optimized for Cine.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.