Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Which mirror less

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

c40uk
c40uk e2 Member 182 forum postsc40uk vcard United Kingdom
10 Nov 2013 - 10:05 AM

well i`m am getting the g6 for sure it feels nice in the hands although a little bit plastic if you know what i mean am, but i like the shape and size , im just stuck between getting it body only or the with the 14 -140 . cause with the 100 quid cash back it dont make it a bad buy , but i wont rush,i will sit on it another week . .
and let us know which way you go royboy ,
cheers andy

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
10 Nov 2013 - 10:05 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

RobboB
RobboB e2 Member 777 forum postsRobboB vcard United Kingdom
10 Nov 2013 - 12:28 PM

I am sure those that have been mentioned are all great cameras and just to confuse things even further here's a vote for the Fuji XE1. I have had it a few weeks now. I wanted something that was a travel camera but more capability than my pocketable X10. I have been really impressed with its ease of use. The lenses are super sharp and it is so much more travel friendly than my 5DII and all the lenses.

c40uk
10 Nov 2013 - 1:07 PM

robbo only reason im leaning to panasonic is the shape , and a few of the things like panoramic hdr and wifi ,i know there all cracking bits of kit and will all perform well beyond my means .shame the g6 is not alloy and weather sealed

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64438 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
10 Nov 2013 - 1:27 PM

Quote: Well i`m am getting the g6 for sure it feels nice in the hands although a little bit plastic if you know what i mean am, but i like the shape and size , im just stuck between getting it body only or the with the 14 -140 . cause with the 100 quid cash back it dont make it a bad buy , but i wont rush,i will sit on it another week . .
and let us know which way you go royboy ,
cheers andy

Well I can recommend the 14-140. It's not the fastest lens but it covers a great range and is excellent for a carry-about. Can't fault the quality.
x

Steppenwolf
10 Nov 2013 - 2:28 PM

It says a lot that pro's who usually use FF cameras are impressed enough by the quality of the M4/3 offerings to buy them - and do most of their photography using them. When Olympus designed the 4/3 system they started from scratch (in the digital age) so it's no surprise that the sensor size they chose was an excellent compromise between quality and usability. It looks to me like the APS-C mirrorless cameras (Sony, Fuji, Samsung, Canon) have possibly backed the wrong horse, but maybe it's too early to judge.

There is another mirrorless CSC though that hasn't been mentioned - Nikon Series 1. I reckon this is superb. It's possible that the 4/3 sensor may be too large, given the advances in technology, because this camera seems to almost match M4/3 with a CX sensor, with all the consequent savings in lens size - the equivalent of the 35mm 70-200mm (30-110) is considerably smaller than most of the other formats' kit lenses. Sadly, though the cameras are great, they're let down by the lenses. In fact all the CSCs are let down by the lens range when compared with the DSLR systems. You still need a DSLR/SLT for some work.

Last Modified By Steppenwolf at 10 Nov 2013 - 2:35 PM
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315372 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
10 Nov 2013 - 8:13 PM

Quote: only reason im leaning to panasonic is the shape , and a few of the things like panoramic hdr and wifi

All modern camera`s are capable of these things, don`t get bogged down with the these minor specs promising more, you will loose out in the end Smile

ChrisV
ChrisV  7786 forum posts United Kingdom26 Constructive Critique Points
10 Nov 2013 - 9:52 PM

Quote: Robbo only reason im leaning to panasonic is the shape , and a few of the things like panoramic hdr and wifi ,i know there all cracking bits of kit and will all perform well beyond my means .shame the g6 is not alloy and weather sealed

The G6 is a very nice camera to use and the 14-140 is a cracking little lens - I was very pleasantly surprised by how well it performed. I must admit once I twigged to the panorama mode, I did use it quite a bit - the implementation of that, the HDR and the WiFi are all very well done. WiFi and HDR are now as Paul refers (at least in later models) ubiquitous features and, as you've observed, the build quality is a bit of a let-down. I thought that when I acquired the camera, but since getting the EM1, it does feel a bit like a toy in contrast.

Prices and deals make it look not unattractive though and with the 14-140 it is a compellingly light and compact do-anything combo (not a fast lens of course, but not bad given its range). I'm not sure I wouldn't be more tempted by the EM5 if you can get it for a similar price, but the 14-140 kit if you want that lens, does make for a pretty good package deal. When I bought mine there was a 150 trade-in offer which made the body virtually free if you take Panasonic's (very steep!) list price of the lens at face value.

I took the GX1 with the 14-140 to a gig recently (as a punter) because I knew I might well get away with using that where anything remotely DSLR shaped (especially with a larger lens) would likely be confiscated. I was in the gods and I set to shutter priority and shot 80-150/s (not a lot of frenetic movement on stage). At a pixel level the images were a little on the soft side, but ISO kept itself between 200-1250 and at 50% size (full screen on an iPad retina which easily equates to an A4 print) they look (on the whole -you have to expect a few misses) sharp, noise free and well coloured - mostly shot from my lap! G6 would have yielded marginally better results, but it's likely I wouldn't have held on to that...

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315372 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
11 Nov 2013 - 11:11 PM

Quote: WiFi and HDR are now as Paul refers (at least in later models) ubiquitous features and, as you've observed, the build quality is a bit of a let-down

Its not so much that there ubiquitous features, with auto HDR its just that there fully automated and churn out jpegs, automated panoramic modes are just the same, all fine if your happy making do with what the camera churns out.

Panoramic`s and HDR are simple enough to do without having this all automated.

ChrisV
12 Nov 2013 - 1:45 PM

Whilst you can always achieve better results in software post-capture [particularly if you shoot in RAW] really good HDR and stitching software can be quite expensive and does require a bit of skill to get perfect results. You can pick up cheap/free software that does the job, but in my experience the results are not significantly better than the easy to use in-camera stuff.

Maybe I'm just looking at the wrong programs - any recommendations?

Paul Morgan
12 Nov 2013 - 3:51 PM

Try Picturenaut Chris, its free and does a pretty good job.

http://www.hdrlabs.com/picturenaut/
http://www.twin-pixels.com/hdr-cathedral/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfsEHBWbfTY

c40uk
12 Nov 2013 - 5:06 PM

Same here to be honest I don't have photoshop or any program I just had what came with my canon , so my post production and computer skills are very limited , so things like in camera HDR ect are a good thing for the likes of me .

ChrisV
12 Nov 2013 - 6:03 PM

Quote: Try Picturenaut Chris, its free and does a pretty good job.

http://www.hdrlabs.com/picturenaut/
http://www.twin-pixels.com/hdr-cathedral/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfsEHBWbfTY

Forgot to mention I'm Mac-only. I usually do HDRs [rarely though] in Photoshop.

It's a few years ago now, but I had a project in which I wanted to do 180%+ panoramas of indoor spaces. Nothing I tried worked effectively and in the end I gave up and did some outdoor ones [much easier]. The Pro software for the Mac at the time cost over 600 - which I couldn't justify for the one job. I've just done a quick and dirty panorama of the office I'm in now with the G6 and apart from white balance being off [which I could easily get a manual reading on] it would do the trick.

I did quite enjoy taking a few sweeps around Italy back in September - I'm not sure I'd have bothered so much if I were post-processing them. If I knew I was going to go for a huge print out of it, I'd take the trouble of capturing separate frames.

It really depends what you're going to use the output for - I'd agree important jobs would be better done with a greater degree of control over the results, but I'd guess the majority of photos produced with these effects are done in-camera. Horses for course and all that - if this sort of thing appeals [including the art filters] and they potentially add little to the cost of the camera I can see the logic and little harm in the manufacturers including them.

Paul Morgan
12 Nov 2013 - 11:16 PM

Panoramas, I don`t do that many, when I do my little x10 is good enough for me Smile

It also has a kind of HDR setting but this is done using the hardware and produces images of 6 mp instead of 12, it works quite well.

RoyBoy
RoyBoy  9171 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
14 Nov 2013 - 5:38 PM

Well that's it. Following my earlier post (page 4) I popped into town yesterday and ended up coming home with an OMD-E1 and the new 2.8 kit lens. I have today taken some test images and I am very pleased with the apparent quality and camera overall performance. I also installed the Smartphone app and this is great too. I can't wait to give the camera a proper outing.

Perhaps I may end up ousting a few images, something I haven't done for a while due to a variety of reasons.

I will now need to buy an adaptor to enable me to use Canon and Pentax K fit lenses with the OMD. Does anyone have any recommendations as to the best place to bug these from?

mikehit
mikehit  56475 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
14 Nov 2013 - 5:58 PM

Congratulations....but I am a little jealous!

Amazon is pretty good for things like adapters.

Last Modified By mikehit at 14 Nov 2013 - 5:59 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.