Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Which mirror less

20 Nov 2013 2:49PM
Good on you! Enjoy!
steve

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

pluckyfilly e2
8 293 33 United Kingdom
5 Dec 2013 8:39PM
Dare I reopen this thread! I am also finding it more and more difficult to use the heavy camera's and lens - I notice a brief comment on the Nikon1 and am interested in the V2 - any comments appreciated.
TIA Ann
Steppenwolf 3 971
6 Dec 2013 8:23AM
I've got a V1 and it's a good camera. The only faults with the camera are that a) it doesn't have a PSAM mode dial - silly omission and b) it insists on giving you a review of the shot you've just taken. However, both of these quirks have been corrected on the V2.

The main problem with Nikon 1 is that the system is very sparse at the moment - in particular the range of lenses is limited. I've also been a bit disappointed with the quality of the lenses. It's understandable considering that they're pretty cheap but Nikon don't seem to have realised that the cameras deserve high quality lenses so where are the premium grade lenses? Of course none of the CSCs match DSLRs in this respect but I think the lenses on m4/3 and NEX are better. I think Nikon may be wary of competing with their DSLRs, which is a pity.
pluckyfilly e2
8 293 33 United Kingdom
6 Dec 2013 8:30AM
I thought I would be able to use my existing lens using the V2 tho beit with an adaptor!

Thanks for your input I appreciate it, I was going to keep the 5200 for those times I am needing that little bit more from my photography (wildlife) for instance.
Steppenwolf 3 971
6 Dec 2013 9:08AM

Quote:I thought I would be able to use my existing lens using the V2 tho beit with an adaptor!

I guess you could but the Nikon 1 series is 2.7 crop factor so you'd need to bear in mind a 1.8 factor relative to the D5200, so it wouldn't be any good for wide-angle work - unless you've got some seriously wide AF lenses. Also you'd be kind of defeating the object since the lenses are the heavy part of most kit. You'd need to check how well the adaptors work too - do they offer full functionality and what are the compromises in IQ and focus speed, etc etc.

If you want something lighter and don't want to compromise on IQ I'd ebay your Nikon stuff and go m4/3. I use my V1 as a pocket camera for which it's excellent (especially at the 270 sell-off price). But it's not in the same league as my Sony stuff and I suspect that Nikon have no intention of letting it compete with their DSLRs.
pluckyfilly e2
8 293 33 United Kingdom
6 Dec 2013 9:43AM
I have already put my D3200 (unused) on EPZ and I am seriously thinking of getting the Nikon1 V2 - undecided as yet re the lens I own for use with the D5200

thanks again for your input
pluckyfilly e2
8 293 33 United Kingdom
6 Dec 2013 8:33PM
What about the Fuji X100s ???
Paul Morgan e2
13 15.7k 6 England
6 Dec 2013 8:37PM

Quote:What about the Fuji X100s ???

Its a lovely little camera, I just love it, but would you be happy with a fixed none zoom lens.
pluckyfilly e2
8 293 33 United Kingdom
6 Dec 2013 8:43PM
I would keep the D5200 but use the Fuji when I feel less inclined to change lens (cold weather for instance) I am tempted but one has to be realistic I can't keep spending and trying and changing my mind - I would like something good but light and I started out with a Fuji but I guess the non interchangeable lens could be an issue but if lens for the Nikon1 V2 are restricted it seems I might not be changing lens anywaysWink
Paul Morgan e2
13 15.7k 6 England
6 Dec 2013 9:24PM
Why not just add a nice little compact to your collection of camera`s, something like the Fuji x20, its a lovely little camera.
pluckyfilly e2
8 293 33 United Kingdom
6 Dec 2013 9:47PM
I will look at that now, thanks Paul
pluckyfilly e2
8 293 33 United Kingdom
7 Dec 2013 8:46AM
I have decided after all that, to hang fire on buying any new kit but thanks to those that offered help and advice it's appreciated - thank you
Ann

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.