Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Which one ARGH!!!!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Stotty2910
25 May 2012 - 3:01 PM

Hey

Iv recently decided to go for a dlsr camera.
iv decided that i liked the nikon over the canon and other as it feels better in my hand.
I asked on here which would be beter for a begginer D3100 or D5100.
I went to look at these two cameras again the otherday. But what i shouldnt have done was pick up the D7000 ooopppsss Tongue I instantly fell in love with the camera the feel the photos (from just playing around in the shop) to useablility everything basically.

Now i have the problem of deciding weither i want to spend 1000 on a camera.
Do you guys think I would be as satisfied with the D3100 or D5100 over the D7000 (the one i really like). Should i go for What i like or what is practical for a beginner??????

Cheers Stotty2910

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
25 May 2012 - 3:01 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

pulsar69
pulsar69  101611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
25 May 2012 - 4:01 PM

The D7000 is still fine for a beginner but will give you loads of room to grow photographically , and then you wont need to buy another camera in a year when the 5100 is too basic , there - justification for you - this is the way with photography , now just go out and buy it .... Wink

Stotty2910
25 May 2012 - 4:15 PM

HaHaHa I like your way of thinking Wink

Anymore suggestions are welcome Grin

779HOB
779HOB  2998 forum posts United Kingdom
25 May 2012 - 4:22 PM

I think if you have really fallen in love with the 7000 then you should go for it - if not, you might just have a feeling of wishing you had. For 900 it seems like a pretty decent DX body.

saltireblue
saltireblue Site Moderator 43572 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway23 Constructive Critique Points
25 May 2012 - 4:25 PM

You have seen it, tried it, want it.
Buy it.
End of.

Then spend the rest of your life wondering if you should have gone down the Canon road after all.Tongue

Malc

ikett
ikett  3328 forum posts England
25 May 2012 - 4:27 PM

I have a 7D Canon's nearest to D7000, I tried a friends 600D almost the same sensor as the 7D, and no doubt capable of excellent results, but it just felt not quite right.
If you can buy the 7000 buy it, or you'll always be thinking "If only". By the way terrible hobby this photo game, there's no such thing as spare cash, cause you'll always need this or that. Or this AND that. Still love it thoughWink

Stotty2910
25 May 2012 - 4:35 PM

From what im reading it seems to me that the d7000 is the way to go.

Unfotunatly Malc I have held the canon and like ikett said it doesnt feel quite right and i have held most of the recent canon range.
Like i said it is alot of money and i have done alot a research of what to buy. I bet the people in jessops are sick of seeing me and youtube just bring up camera reviews instantley HAHAHA!!!!! TongueTongueTongue

I will post on here tomorrow which is when i will hopfully be getting the camera if jessops let me have finiance Grin

hopefully i will have some good photos for review soon Grin
can't wait

Stotty2910

sherlob
sherlob e2 Member 82256 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom120 Constructive Critique Points
25 May 2012 - 4:56 PM

Go for the one you want, but only if you can afford it. Otherwise, go for the one you need.

Remember also that you are buying into a system, and not just buying into a camera. Have you looked at the accessories, lens etc you might need? E.g. when I bought my second DSLR I was really miffed when I found most of the accessories I had bought to go with it no longer fitted.

Adam

PS ... and whatever you buy - for goodness sake enjoy it.

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53515 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
25 May 2012 - 5:34 PM

You said the 3100, the 3200 is also released - did you try that.

You also need to budget for lenses, a camera that good will easily outperform the initial kit lens you get with it.
Oh and tripods are worth their weight in gold.
Oh and separate flash guns with radio triggers.

BTW, what types of genres are you most interested in?
Is this just a hobby?

Certainly go for what feels good, but be wary or spending all your money on the camera itself, that's the bit that depreciates the fastest from the list above.
Also small note, most SLR camera's don't come with a memory card.

Good luck.

EDIT " if jessops let me have finiance "
DON@T spend that much on finance - grief! go much cheaper!

Last Modified By JackAllTog at 25 May 2012 - 5:37 PM
puertouk
puertouk  21052 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
25 May 2012 - 5:48 PM

Why not take a look at the new Nikon D3200 with 24 million pixels!
Stephen

Steppenwolf
25 May 2012 - 5:51 PM

The D7000 is a great camera and is the one I would get if I were buying a Nikon. You can get it cheaper than 1000, BTW, look on froogle. Nikon were offering 89 cashback on the D7000 last month, but maybe that's ended.

The trouble with the cheaper Nikon cameras (D3xxx and D5xxx) is that they don't have in-body AF motors. This means that you are restricted to using AF-S lenses - i.e. those lenses that have internal focus motors. This may not be a big disadvantage if you're starting your Nikon system from scratch but it does mean that you can't buy s/h AF lenses and retain autofocus, which is limiting. It might even be cheaper in the long run to buy the D7000 than the one of the entry level cameras.

uzi9mm
uzi9mm  378 forum posts United Kingdom
25 May 2012 - 7:44 PM

if i was you id hold out for the pentax k30 which seems to tick all the right boxes thats what id be looking at if i was in the market for something new.

Stotty2910
25 May 2012 - 8:45 PM

As has been mentioned before i think in the long run it may work out cheaper for me to get the better body. If i start collecting lenses for one camera and then upgrade the body my lenses might not fit etc.

If i get the better body i can learn using it and will proberly not need to upgrade the body as quick as i would if i had the d3100 or d5100.

As for types of photography im not quite sure i dont really want to just do one type i would like to experiment with the kit lens and see what i like the most.
Ino you cant do everything with the kit lenses but i will be able to get a good idea of what i like taking pictures of and eventually buy the lenses for that type.

Uzi9mm I havent looked at the D3200 i will have a look tomorrow. video reviews seem to like it maybe that would be the way to go iv seen this on jessops.
http://www.jessops.com/online.store/products/85613/show.html

Cheers Stotty2910

strawman
strawman  1021997 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
26 May 2012 - 12:17 AM

General the advice is if in doubt spend more on lenses, camera bodies come and go and many people replace them every 3 or so years but lenses tend to be held onto for longer. If you can afford it get the whole kit at once, if bit at a time then perhaps prioritise lenses over body.

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114484 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
26 May 2012 - 12:55 AM

My advice would be to go for mid budget, 60d et al. Something you won't necessary out grow overnight, but Strawman's advice above is probably the most sensible an answer you're likely to get....

Ade

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.