Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Which Photographic Magazines (printed) do you read?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Gundog
Gundog  1624 forum posts Scotland
13 Aug 2013 - 9:44 AM

When I actually counted them, I discovered to my horror that I had subscriptions to 11 different photographic magazines. One of them was weekly, the others monthly so that was 14 or 15 magazines dropping through my letterbox every month. (Plus those that I brought home from the camera club's "magazine swap")

Thinking about it seriously, some were very repetitive, some were very elementary, some were just plain poor.....

So, a quick trip to the online banking and started cancelling direct debits.

Now I am left with just two - the two I consider the best - Amateur Photographer (weekly) and Practical Photography (monthly).

Strangely, those two are the same magazines as I was reading 50+ years ago.

What magazines do you read and consider worth buying?

(I should say that I have a total aversion to reading anything more substantial than chatroom discussions like this on a computer screen or iPad.)

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
13 Aug 2013 - 9:44 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

MichaelMelb_AU
13 Aug 2013 - 9:54 AM

Having affluence of magazines on newsstands I don't bother making any subscriptions. I just go online and check contents for free - then go and pick it up at newsagents. Or, if unavailable, buy a back issue cheep from wherever it is available. Have no set favourites either - buy only what I find interesting and useful. Digital age has it's own perks after all...Smile

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64431 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
13 Aug 2013 - 9:56 AM

I like to get AP because of the variety of content, and being weekly has bang up-to-date listings etc.. (and anyway, a month is too long to wait for a photo-read fix). I prefer Digital Camera to Practical Photographer, and always buy PhotoPlus, the mag dedicated to all things Canon. Sometimes I'll buy Advanced Photographer if there's something in it that I'm particularly interested in. I don't like reading things on the computer, and I can't relax in an armchair with a cup of tea either.

Last Modified By SlowSong at 13 Aug 2013 - 9:56 AM
Gaucho
Gaucho e2 Member 122260 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
13 Aug 2013 - 10:07 AM

If it were nice and cheap and available here it would have to be Amateur Photographer. As it is, I subscribe to Réponses Photo (monthly), which is excellent.

seahawk
seahawk e2 Member 7557 forum postsseahawk vcard United Kingdom
13 Aug 2013 - 10:31 AM

The only one I read regularly is 'Outdoor Photography' but I occasionally pick up others if there's something of interest.

mlewis
mlewis  91476 forum posts United Kingdom
13 Aug 2013 - 10:32 AM

I get Amateur Photographer.

Louise_Morris
Louise_Morris e2 Member 42324 forum postsLouise_Morris vcard England
13 Aug 2013 - 10:33 AM

Only subscribe to Photo Plus because of it being totally Canon - find it an "easy" read - good to pick up/put down and do that a lot over the month or so!! Occasionally buy Outdoor Photography when I'm browsing the shelves in the supermarket - and that can be really a interesting magazine too.

JJGEE
JJGEE  96303 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
13 Aug 2013 - 10:33 AM

Over the years I have bought / read most of the magazines, some whose name I cannot even remember ... was there one something like People In Camera ( PIC ) ?

A few times when on holiday in Germany, Austria, Switzerland I have bought some, not that I could read them but for the pictures and sometimes the technique articles you could follow through just from the images / diagrams ( studio lighting set ups for example )

I subscribed to BJP ( when it was weekly ) for a while and even epz's own fpme ! !

AlanTW
AlanTW  11342 forum posts
13 Aug 2013 - 10:35 AM

Outdoor Photography and, occasionally, Black & White Photography

petebfrance
13 Aug 2013 - 10:43 AM

I usually don't read any but for the last few months have been getting Chasseur d'Images. Some good features, techniques, interesting tests etc. Whether or not I'll continue getting it, though.....

sherlob
sherlob e2 Member 82324 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom125 Constructive Critique Points
13 Aug 2013 - 11:16 AM

I have been disappointed with many magazines in the past: practical photographer, digital photographer, etc etc... Most of these seemed to be targeted at relative newbies to photography, but what really got my goat as a subscriber was when the same articles started to reappear year on year (with some minor updates to the text). In some cases they even used the same bloody images.

Advanced photographer offered a better option, but I find myself bored with this these days and I confess to having not read that last few issues and toying with the idea of cancelling my subscription (which I have had since issue 1).

The only magazine I really rate currently is Black & White Photography. I find its content refreshing - an emphasis often on photography that gives preference to the aesthetic - much of which, IMHO, isn't main stream in terms of the images you usually find in photo mags. The features are also usually very good - I especially like the column 'A fortnight at f8' by Tim Clinch.

Adam

franken
franken e2 Member 123127 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
13 Aug 2013 - 11:18 AM

I buy the occasional AP and that's about it.

Ken

cuffit
cuffit  7173 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
13 Aug 2013 - 11:26 AM

I am with Sherlob, you only need to buy 12 monthly issues to get the usual stock articles common to most magazines and then just pick and choose if a magazine is offering a review or article of particular interest. I still enjoy them though and usually cannot resist one every month or so. If I was to choose one - probably Amateur Photographer. Chris

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64431 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
13 Aug 2013 - 12:01 PM

You've reminded me about B&W Photography, Adam. Don't know why I don't buy that, I guess I get stuck in my ways. I do like to get a weekly or a monthly though as kit changes so rapidly these days, and although I have most things I could ever need (want is another matter), I do like to keep up.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318443 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
13 Aug 2013 - 12:07 PM

Speaking from the other side as someone who's edited magazines it's a real tricky issue dealing with the same subjects in different ways. The problem is while holding on to subscribers and regular readers you also have to entertain new readers who won't have read previous issues. So certain subjects have to be repeated. And there's only so many ways the same thing can be written. I really liked PhotoIcon, but like all portfolio magazines they have a hard time surviving and that one only managed 10 issues.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.