Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Which Photoshop? Starting out.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Bren1986
    1 Apr 2014 - 2:48 PM

Hello folks,

Can anybody tell me which is the best version of photoshop to start out with with a mac.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    1 Apr 2014 - 2:48 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Overread
    Overread  63746 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Apr 2014 - 2:51 PM

Honestly I'd head over to Adobe's main website and sign up for their Photoshop and Lightroom package deal that they have on at present. 10 or so a month and you get both programs in their latest and most powerful versions to use.

The other option is to find a copy of the previous version of CS and use that. Newer is nearly always better and the last version is the last one Adobe made which is fully stand-alone

sherlob
    sherlob e2 Member 82313 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom125 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Apr 2014 - 3:18 PM

I suppose the logical question to ask is - do you really need PS at all? What will you be using it for? E.g. which features do you want to make use of?

Stillbase
    Stillbase  260 forum posts Wales
    1 Apr 2014 - 4:03 PM

If you want to own a photo editing package, there are several on the market for less than 100 and once you have bought it, it is yours. But if you want the very best with every conceivable bell and whistle most of us will ever need, or wish to go into digital art, then it has to be Photoshop. But unless you manage to get a second-hand version from ebay for example (from CS6 downwards), Adobe will only let you rent it. Currently the combined Photoshop/Lightroom package costs me just under 9 a month. I will be interested to see what that rises to in 10 months time.

For the last 10 years I have also been using Photoshop Elements and the latest version I have is 12 (I bought it before the Photoshop deal was announced). Even with my Elements experience I have found the full Photoshop to be a steep learning curve and every time I find a new feature in Photoshop, more often than not it is there in Elements as well.

If Adobe put up the PS/LR package prices at the end of this year I will go back to Elements, which along with the NIK and Topaz filters I have bought seperately can do virtually everything I will ask it to do, but only in 8 bit, not 16 like PS.

Also investigate Lightroom which you can own.

Jestertheclown

Photoshop CS6.
    Not cheap but still available, at least, for the time being and you will own it.
    If Adobe are to believed, this is to be the last ever standalone version of Photoshop and it won't be around forever.
    The alternative is to head down the rental route which, as is hinted at above, may well not remain the bargain that it seems to be at the moment.

Dave_Canon
    1 Apr 2014 - 5:13 PM

If you are starting out Photoshop Elements will provide all you need for now and you are unlikely to outgrow it for some time. When and if you outgrow Elements, you will have a much better idea of what you need and can then consider whether to add Lightroom or even take out the monthly Photographic Creative Suite subscription. I have a fairly broad view of this because I have Photoshop CS6, Lightroom 5 and Elements 10 as well as the Creative Suite.

Dave

MorrisS
    1 Apr 2014 - 5:26 PM

Can anyone actually tell me what the latest PS actually does better.
    I mean im still running CS3 suite, and not really felt the need. Some annoying translations if moving between illustrator, but always ways around.

Finding the change from CS6 to the CC beneficial?

Jestertheclown

Quote: Finding the change from CS6 to the CC beneficial?

I'm referring to Photoshop here:
    I've had installed CS2, CS5 and CS6. Like yourself, I didn't see much point in upgrading from CS2 because it did everything I wanted to be able to do. Consequently, I didn't bother with CS3 or 4.
    I moved to CS5, after trialling it because, by then, several years down the line, CS2 had become old hat and I finally migrated to CS6 because my employers paid for it.
    Since then I've trialled CC and although it's OK, it's certainly not light years ahead.
    Obviously, there are some differences but I don't think that it's capable of doing anything significant that I can't do using CS6 (or CS5 for that matter, with a little perseverence).

Last Modified By Jestertheclown at 1 Apr 2014 - 6:13 PM
    robthecamman
    1 Apr 2014 - 7:10 PM

iv a mac and stick with iphoto

Dave_Canon
    1 Apr 2014 - 7:19 PM

PS CS3 was a big step from CS2 and CS4 had some useful additions. Since moving from CS4 to CS6, I have found very few useful additions and probably could have stuck with CS4. I now have PS CC and have yet to see any improvement for Photographers over CS6. Part of the reason is that most of the editing is now done in Lightroom and I used Nik, Topaz or Oloneo for enhancements so there is little left for PS to do. At the end of the first year of CC, I will be reconsidering whether it is worth it, if few useful upgrades emerge.

It also begs the question as to what upgrades would we want for Photoshop?. Any thoughts?
    Dave

puertouk
    puertouk  21065 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Apr 2014 - 11:10 PM

First of all, what do you want to do in post production? Do you want to change your images or do you want to just enhance them? Lightroom 5.3, is the latest incarnation from Adobe and is a must in any photographers post production workflow. It is an amazing piece of kit, which will cost you 89.99 from all outlets, so go to PC World and get the disc. Next we have Photoshop Elements 12, which again is Adobe's latest offering in the Elements guise. The best price I've seen is 60.50 at Amazon. The best price for Photoshop CS6, is through, iSoftware.co.uk. They had it at 329.99 for a download version or 399.99 for a boxed version. You can also get the extended version through them as well, but unless you're into 3D, not worth the extra.
    Hope this helps.
    Stephen

bobby55
    bobby55  4 United Kingdom
    2 Apr 2014 - 12:34 PM

I used a borrowed copy of photoshop cs3 for a while , also The Gimp which is free, however I always find my way back to good old Paintshop Pro, Ive just purchased X6 Ultimate for under 40.00 but there is a 30 day fully functional free trial so try before you buy.

AndyMurdo
    AndyMurdo  833 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
    2 Apr 2014 - 7:26 PM

Hi Bren, I would keep it simple, as you are new to editing, go for Adobe's Elements 12, comes with both Mac & Windows versions in the box, It is renowned for it's user friendly interface (the full Photoshop CS is quite complex by comparison with lots of facilities you may not need to begin with) it also has a lot of help built in for those who are new to the game including a guided edit mode, so you can build your skills quite easily, It also includes a cut-down version of the Adobe Raw converter so you can deal with raw files as you advance. when you have found your feet you could always add Lightroom and even the full CS if needed later. Note: Elements is often bundled with Premiere Elements, which is the program for editing video & sideshows, which may be useful if you do a fair bit of that sort of thing, but Elements 12 has its own slide show creation mode even if a little more basic. Good luck, Andy M

Jestertheclown

Another extremely capable yet all too often overlooked editor to consider is Serif PhotoPlus.
    I cut my editing teeth on an older version of this and it was, at that time, more capable than the then current version of Elements.
    Neither come remotely close to matching 'proper' Photoshop but they'll give you some idea of how the various tools work.

NikLG
    NikLG  91736 forum posts England
    3 Apr 2014 - 7:53 AM

As some have stated already, if you are working solely with photos ( 'simple' adjustments, cropping etc. ) and not looking to do much else, then the full blown Photoshop is probably too much for you.. You would be better off with Lightroom or something like that.
    On the version side, there is a lot of new stuff in latest Photoshop that you won't get in older versions, but it again depends on wether you'd ever use such features. Perspective matching, de-blurring etc etc.

I have a subscription to Photoshop and Illustrator which is about 30 odd quid a month and use Photoshop for about 8 hours a day for all sorts of things, but there is still probably half of it that I don't use or need...

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.