Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Which Photoshop to buy

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Peter_West
4 Sep 2011 - 1:21 PM

Hi All, I am restively new to digital photography, and I have also enrolled in a night school course which stars in a few weeks, but not decided on which Photoshop to purchase, Photoshop Elements 9, or the Photoshop Elements 9 & Adobe Premiere® Elements 9, or Photoshop Light room 3, any advice would really appreciated. Pete

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
4 Sep 2011 - 1:21 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64439 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
4 Sep 2011 - 1:29 PM

You can't go far wrong with the basic Elements 9. It'll have everything you need and more at a very affordable price.

The premier version is more for video editing and movies (which you might want, I don't know). If you're relatively new to imaging I can't see that Lightroom would be any use to you at this time. Maybe later when you've got some experience and know more about what you need.

sherlob
sherlob e2 Member 82325 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom125 Constructive Critique Points
4 Sep 2011 - 1:45 PM

Hi Pete.

If you have enrolled on to a night school course that qualifies as a higher or further education provider are you aware that you could also qualify for an educational licence for Photoshop CS5 and Lightroom 3? This brings down the cost of CS5 to approx £150 and LR3 to approx £60.

In terms of which product... it all comes down to what you want - i.e. what level your are aspiring to work at, and what your workflow will be.

Most users of Photoshop Elements (PSE) say that it does all they need. However, in my opinion photoshop (PS) does offer more flexibility than PSE, but comes at the expense of an additional cost and a steeper learning curve. Premier Elements - if I recall correctly isn't a photography package, but rather a package for video editing (I could be wrong, but you should check out the Adobe site for more info) - so this is unlikely to meet your needs unless you use your camera mainly for video. LR3 is an excellent package that acts as a fantastic image database and can become the hub of your workflow system. It offers some powerful editing options, but however useful these are they remain limited. E.g. For my personal work I find I need to edit nearly every image in PS - even if this is just to apply a degree of sharpening.

HTH's,

Adam

Peter_West
4 Sep 2011 - 1:46 PM

Hi Slowsong, Thanks for advice, really quick, yes that's one that might be the best for me, the more i read up,Pete

Peter_West
5 Sep 2011 - 9:13 AM

Hi Adam. thanks for that info, will check out what you said, interested on what you say about further education though, i will try and find more info on that, Pete

User_Removed
5 Sep 2011 - 9:31 AM

Pete,

Especially as you will be entitled to the Student price, I would thoroughly recommend using Adobe Lightroom 3 from the start. With it you have your Raw Converter, cataloguing, indexing and ranking system, and a very comprehensive set of photo-editing tools all in one package.

I use Lightroom as my main workflow management package but also have Photoshop CS5, SilverEfexPro2, HDR Efex Pro and Photomatix. That is gross overkill and I could do 95% of everything I ever want to do to an image in Lightroom.

You can download a full copy free from the Adobe website and try it out for a 30-day evaluation period.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 5 Sep 2011 - 9:32 AM
bigalguitarpicker

Elements with Premier Elements is a great package if you're interested in video editing. Student version of CS5 Extended cost me about £190 at student rate recently. Just starting out, I'd recommend CS5. Lightroom could come later, as Bridge is included with it. Some of my colleagues bought Lightroom and are well pleased with it, I've never needed it, Bridge does all I want.
Alex.

Ewanneil
Ewanneil  41118 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
5 Sep 2011 - 10:58 AM

Pete. You haven't told us what camera(s) you own or intend to buy. The reason I say this is that Lightroom 3 really comes into its own when dealing with raw images. Whilst you can work on JPEGs using LR3 you really only unlock its full potential when you import raw images.

It may be that your camera cannot shoot raw images or that you have chosen only to shoot JPEGs. If either is the case then I wouldn't go for LR3 at this stage. To me it would be a bit like buying an Aston Martin and only ever using it to nip down the street to buy a newspaper once a day. Don't get me wrong I absolutely love LR3 and when the time is right it should be at the top of your wish list.

In short, I would agree with Chris (Slowsong) and go with Elements 9 (or 10 if it has been released). You will be very pleasantly surprised by what it can do and the level of support available (on the internet and in magazines) is phenomenal.

SosFM
SosFM  581 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
5 Sep 2011 - 3:27 PM

I believe the problem with the educational licences is that it expires or you are unable to update it after a while. I think if you are new to it all get PSE9 and buy Scott Kelbys book on how to use it. CS5 will just confuse you. I have just got LR3 and am thinking of using it in conjunction with LR3 because from what I have seen of it it will be all I need. Also from what I understand so far about LR3 (and I have only had it a week) there is no save/save as facility you have to export your image that you have worked on into another editing software to save it.

Jestertheclown

Quote: I understand so far about LR3 (and I have only had it a week) there is no save/save as facility you have to export your image that you have worked on into another editing software to save it.

There's an "export/export with" facility which I don't use but I believe it does the same thing. (I could be wrong!)
As for CS5 being confusing, I'd say that, provided you've got some idea of how editing software works, it's a good deal easier to understand than Lightroom.

Jester.

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64439 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
5 Sep 2011 - 3:41 PM

Have you checked which software the course uses Pete? I bet they haven't forked out for full CS5. For learners I'd say it was far too sophisticated, but if you can get a good deal, and the lessons do use CS5, then you might as well get it. My money's still on Elements 9 (or 10) though. The college may even use earlier versions if they're strapped for cash.
Chris

Last Modified By SlowSong at 5 Sep 2011 - 3:42 PM
User_Removed
5 Sep 2011 - 3:53 PM

Quote: Also from what I understand so far about LR3 (and I have only had it a week) there is no save/save as facility you have to export your image that you have worked on into another editing software to save it.

No, No, No....

The Export facility in Lightroom is totally self-contained. No other editing software required.

The reason it has no "Save as" is that it never alters your original file. That is one of the HUGE benefits. Once you have made all your adjustments, you use "Export" to save your file as a Jpeg, Tiff or whatever you want - but your original Raw file remains unaltered and you can create as many virtual copies of it as your want, treat them all differently, save (sorry - export) as many results as you want.

Incredible flexibility and , as a bonus, especially for a beginner, Lightroom is far more intuitive and easily mastered than Photoshop. But Chris's advice is good - check what the college use.

SosFM
SosFM  581 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
5 Sep 2011 - 5:48 PM

LeftForum, I tried to private message you about your reply but your private messaging is switched off, i didnt want to clog the thread. I follow about exporting to CS5 or PSE for converting to jpgs or TIFFS and saving them but I dont understand what is the final action in LR3 when you have completed all your adjustments - how do you "finish"? if that makes sense.

BarrieNeilPhotography

By using "Export" as described earlier - that's the process of creating your output file. You select the photos you want to create a 'finished' file from and then export. The Export dialog gives you the various output option (file format, location for the output files etc etc)

Have you used the Lightroom 'Help'. It's very good and includes video instruction too.

Last Modified By BarrieNeilPhotography at 5 Sep 2011 - 5:51 PM
Peter_West
5 Sep 2011 - 6:56 PM

Hi all, Now stop it your all cunfusing me lol, my camera is a Panosonic FZ100, not sure yet what the college are going to use, might have confused you all, i tend to do that with people, i am only doing a night school couse which last for 10 x 2 hour lesson's, but hopefully i will be able to use more of the settings, but really thanks all the advice much appreciated, and who knows one day I might be able to put one of my pics on here, instead of deleting them of my card. Pete

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.