Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Which program for a multi image layout?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

arhb
arhb e2 Member 72152 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom67 Constructive Critique Points
20 Dec 2012 - 9:20 PM

I'm doing an editorial fashion project, and wondered which program I could use to design the layout?
I've only really used photoshop, and dont know much about the other adobe programs that might be useful,
or if there is a freeware program that will do the job as well?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
20 Dec 2012 - 9:20 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

parallax
parallax e2 Member 5111 forum postsparallax vcard United Kingdom
20 Dec 2012 - 10:56 PM

InDesign is just about the best program out there. Or QuarkXpress.
They're pro level page layout programs and if your going to be dealing with printers, these are the ones to use.

arhb
arhb e2 Member 72152 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom67 Constructive Critique Points
20 Dec 2012 - 11:10 PM

Thanks Gary - I've just been looking at InDesign, after googling much the same question I asked here.
I think I need to read up a bit, maybe look at some beginner tutorials, and try a month trial with it.
I might be sometime Smile

User_Removed
20 Dec 2012 - 11:18 PM

I'm pretty expert in InDesign but for a recent photobook, which didn't have a lot of text, I used Photoshop to lay out the spreads.

Text handling in InDesign CS6 is streets ahead of Photoshop. I used Lynda.com tutorials to learn how to use it. You'll probably hate the way it deals with drop shadows etc if you're used to doing that with lots of layers in Photoshop.

What's the approx text to picture ratio for a typical page of your project? If it's just odd captions do the layout in PS

arhb
21 Dec 2012 - 7:58 AM

Thanks for your input Chris -
I would say the ratio is going to be between 1:4 and 1:2.
As this project is likely to take at least a year to get the images I want to use for it,
it will give me plenty of time to learn InDesign.
Be prepared for a PM or two Chris! Smile

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
21 Dec 2012 - 1:19 PM

When I am doing multi-image spreads I always use Photoshop with each image on its own layer. Photobook software is (in my experience) limited in this area.

arhb
21 Dec 2012 - 1:49 PM

Thanks Ian - do you incorporate any text within photoshop, or use different s/ware for the text?

I came accross this page layout software review -
PagePlus seems to do pretty well - anyone used that?

User_Removed
21 Dec 2012 - 2:38 PM

If you're going to learn PagePlus you may as well learn InDesign (and I don't mind the PMs). ID integrates better with other CS software - useful being able to copy and paste layers (and .psd files) between PS and ID.

If you can, just stick with Photoshop. PS CS6 handles text better than previous versions (plus the introduction of Paragraph Text a few versions back was a huge help, learn to use it)

I've used both programs in the past month for similar size projects.

I did a photobook recently in Photoshop by creating double page spreads 6543 pixels by 2551 and having pics and text on layers, got it printed for g/f for Xmas and she loves it (shrunk example of one of the pages here)

I did a spoof brochure for a friend's home gym using InDesign (pdf here)

You can see that I could have swapped programs and got pretty much the same results. However I wanted pdf output for gym thing but only needed jpg output for the photobook.

Where Photoshop isn't as flexible is when you move and resize text boxes (text doesn't reformat automatically in the same way as it does in DTP software). Also PDF and PrePress output support is nowhere near as comprehensive as it is in InDesign.

InDesign will drive you mad at first though because you have to do some things differently to the way you're used to doing them in Photoshop, eg you'll drag a box corner expecting that box to resize (as a Photoshop layer would), instead it just reveals more or less of the content. You soon get used to it though.

digicammad
21 Dec 2012 - 2:43 PM

I have incorporated text using PS, though not paragraphs of the stuff. I use CS2 and can't honestly say I have ever cursed the text handling.

I used PagePlus this year to create my calendar, using pages created in PS, but that was mainly because I needed to output as a PDF and my version of PS doesn't do that.

arhb
21 Dec 2012 - 2:58 PM

Nice PDF Chris, I remember seeing the photobook example recently when you were enquiring about the stroke tool in layer styles.

I'm almost sold on the InDesign as text is going to play a significant part,
and I like the idea of using programs that integrate.

Thanks again for the advice Smile

User_Removed
21 Dec 2012 - 3:00 PM

Quote: I have incorporated text using PS, though not paragraphs of the stuff

Yes, that to me is precisely where the key differences start to appear.

Some great tutorials on YouTube, who needs to subscribe to Lynda.com when there's these for free Smile

digicammad
21 Dec 2012 - 3:03 PM

If there are significant amounts of text then I agree PS is not your friend. If you already have InDesign that would be the way to go, if not then PagePlus is cheap and, although not integrated with PS, pretty good. You could do all your images in PS, import them to PP and overlay the text. The PDF output options are good and it also supports cmyk.

User_Removed
21 Dec 2012 - 3:25 PM

You never did say what final output is going to be? Notice in my pdf that I linked to that you can zoom as much as you want without text becoming pixelated. That kind of vector output can be important for print but not for screen.

arhb
21 Dec 2012 - 3:32 PM

Ultimately Chris, it will be a book, if all goes according to plan.

User_Removed
21 Dec 2012 - 3:40 PM

Definitely use proper DTP software. You need to know about things like page creep (notice how there's less space on inner pages in many books and magazines) you might need to generate a table of contents, you might need to change paragraph styles (fonts, justification etc) bookwide with one click. Look in many books and magazines and you'll see that the letter f followed by the letter i isn't displayed as fi but by a combined character which is more readable, proper DTP software gives you fine control of all that kind of thing

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.