Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Which SLR performs best at high ISO settings?

Imagine23 8 241 United Kingdom
10 Oct 2008 3:18PM
Hello,
I was after some advice as to which is the best SRL (full frame) in terms of noise performance at high ISO levels. I'm a fan of using natural light, and so this is a big consideration in my next purchase. Apologies if this has been covered before, I had a look through the archive but couldn't find what I was looking for. Any advice, or links to previous discussions, gratefully received.
Thanks,
Lynn

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
10 Oct 2008 3:19PM
Nikon D3, D700
Canon 5D, 5D MKII
take your pick
strawman 10 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
10 Oct 2008 3:26PM
As you are Canon users, and assuming you have Canon lenses that are good, wait and see how the 5D MKII does, it should be in the shops before the end of the year.

If not the D3 and D700 sound good, though the good old 5D still performs well.
10 Oct 2008 4:15PM
Hi, yeah I have got all canon stuff at the moment, but I've heard great things about the Nikon D3, in terms of its performance at high ISOs. I just wonder if the difference is significant enough for me to move across from Canon to Nikon? For example, is the difference between the Canon EOS 1Ds MkIII and the Nikon D3 very noticeable? I've have no first hand experience of either.
Thanks, Lynn
cambirder 10 7.2k England
10 Oct 2008 4:37PM
Do you really need a pro speced body? Seems you are using a 350D with kit lens at the moment, so lenses should be your priority before splurging out thousands on a new body.

Looking at your portfolio, I would say a tripod might be the best option, shooting interior shots in natural light does not need high ISO's just a steady platform.
User_Removed 12 7.3k 6 United Kingdom
10 Oct 2008 4:37PM
Hi Lynn

In answer to your last question, undoubtedly (and I have owned the 1Ds 3 and now own the D3) though they are very different camera for different purposes so it would be inappropriate to be making a direct comparison between a 1Ds 3 and a D3.
CathyT e2
8 7.3k 18 United Kingdom
10 Oct 2008 4:53PM
Barrie's sitting on the fence..... Wink
edrhodes 9 521 12 United Kingdom
10 Oct 2008 5:12PM

Quote:It's also got a proper full-frame sensor

So has the D3 last time I looked...
samfurlong 8 2.5k United Kingdom
10 Oct 2008 8:21PM
Nikon D3 is the best you'll currently get, although the 5DMKII is going to be even better so wait. If you want a pro specced body and can't wait for a MKIV or change to Nikon then the MKIII is very very good upto 3200 (although not as good as the nikon).
10 Oct 2008 8:36PM
Thanks for the comments everyone. Cambirder I've not updated my profile for ages, I am still using a 350D but I have all L-lenses on it now (with is why I'm wondering if a swop to Nikon is the way forward!). I need fastish shutter speeds as the low light shots I do tend to be of moving subjects. Barrie, thanks for your comment - I am specifically interested in the ISO performance, rather than anything else, how did you find the two performed in this area, compared to each other? Sam I've heard the D3 is the best but maybe it might be a good idea to try out the MKIII like you suggest so I don't have to sell all my lenses!!
10 Oct 2008 8:50PM
Canon also promised that the 1D 3's AF system was like nothing you had ever seen before.... they were right there too Grin
mark_delta 7 1.3k
10 Oct 2008 8:57PM

Quote:Canon also promised that the 1D 3's AF system was like nothing you had ever seen before.... they were right there too

I found this out the hard way after leaving the old mkii at home !
it stopped working if the sun came out !
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
10 Oct 2008 8:57PM
Oy, just because you switched to the dark side, doesn't mean you can trash the bright side... :-p
10 Oct 2008 8:59PM
Grin Grin
Leif 9 722
10 Oct 2008 10:50PM

Quote:
I like this casual unprocessed 25600 ISO shot

Crikey, that fabulous and very large shot has convinced me to throw away my Nikon tat. Scuse me while I munch the table leg.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.