Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Which software to get ?

k13wjd 6 108
5 Jul 2008 8:01PM
hi folks....

just wondering which software i should be getting....already got cs3.....but looking for something a bit more user friendly though.

would need to handle raw files.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

PLCimagery e2
8 77 1 England
5 Jul 2008 8:12PM
Hi.

I think whatever you get it will take a bit of time to find your way around.
If I were you rather than buy more imaging softwareI would invest in a book or buy some photo mags that walk you through various processes. Digital Photo mag do a cd with very good lessons on how to do things in CS. CS 3 is pretty much the best programme out there.

Pete
k13wjd 6 108
5 Jul 2008 8:15PM
so i just need to learn how to use it properly !
PLCimagery e2
8 77 1 England
5 Jul 2008 8:21PM
Yep. It maybe a bit daunting at first but spend some time on it and the basics will soon fall into place.
StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
5 Jul 2008 8:32PM
What you need is 123di. It is an e-book, with interactive colour animated tutorials on everything. It leads you through like you're a child, even I learned from it.

123di.com
k13wjd 6 108
5 Jul 2008 8:52PM
great...that will give me a start...

i used to use paint.net
k13wjd 6 108
5 Jul 2008 8:53PM
found the full version....its downloading right now....thanks denny
5 Jul 2008 9:26PM
I would go for Lightroom myself.
It works seemlessly with Photoshop but offers so much more for a photographer. Try downloading the beta version of Lightroom2, it's great, what with a superb catalogue system, editing, and simple web modules you can't go wrong. If you do decide to try it, have a look at the tutorials at...
http://www.jkost.com/lightroom.html
these are some of the best you'll find, including those for Photoshop.
Go for it and enjoy.
Mike
k13wjd 6 108
5 Jul 2008 9:29PM
great....123 has downloaded - full version...

i'll download lightroom 2 as well....

the more the merrier
StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
5 Jul 2008 10:49PM
123di covers Lightroom, Elements 1,2,3,4,5,6, Photoshop 7, to CS3, and all the Nikon editing and RAW conversion programs. Just minimize it to your acessory bar when you're working, and you have instant info available for any of them.
KenTaylor e2
10 3.0k 2 United Kingdom
6 Jul 2008 9:05AM
I might as well give Lightzone another plug. If only they had the marketing power that Adobe have.
Ken
k13wjd 6 108
6 Jul 2008 12:24PM
getting confused now guys....too many options...
StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
6 Jul 2008 8:38PM
If you're just starting with Adobe, try Elements 6.0. It will give you an excellent intro. You probably will never need any more. I'm still using Elements 3.0.
backlash 7 2 United Kingdom
7 Jul 2008 9:45PM
On my computer at present I have installed Photoshop CS2, Photoshop Elements 5 and PaintShop Pro 10.
I own many previous versions of Photshop, all the versions of Photoshop Elements upto ver. 5. I have also owned every version of PaintShop Pro since its shareware days, I have stopped at version 10 and unsure about updating it further as they are all getting to be copies of each other. Sadly some are loosing their roots and focusing solely on 'Camera'. PSP used to come with Animation Shop but stopped at around vers 8/9 so I had to extract it from one of my earlier versions. Elements is great for my family and my wife has found it easy and lots of uses in card making and scrapbooking with her digital pics. I use Photoshop CS2 or Paintshop Pro ver 10. I find the design and drawing much quicker with PSP but to choose between the two ? ... In a hurry I open PSP as it is faster to use and STILL has the best, quickest and easiest straightening tool for vertical and horizons. On the whole, as someone who uses different types regularly, they are all the same it just depends on you on the day but I suppose I have a bias slightly towards PSP. Hope this does not confuse the issue even more, reards D
EyeDeal 6 55 United Kingdom
17 Jul 2008 8:14AM
Lightroom seems to be the most convenient and efficient tool for digital photo. It's even better than Canon's great tools.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.