Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Which speedlight?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    grahampartington

Hi everyone - I'm pretty new to the website but hope you can help me.

I have a Nikon D5000 and want to add an external flashgun for regular portrait style shots. Any recommendations please. Also any recommendations for a fixed focal length lens (if thats the right terminology) for portraits/group shots?

gp

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    29 Jan 2011 - 3:28 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

StrayCat
    StrayCat e2 Member 1014800 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Jan 2011 - 5:54 AM

I don't know anything about portraits/group shot lighting, but I had a Nikon SB600 for 4 years, and would get another now if I was still with Nikon. The 800 is very popular with enthusiasts and pros, and I'll wager the new 700 is going to popular as well.

User_Removed
    29 Jan 2011 - 10:52 AM

I use an SB600 and am very pleased with it.

Having said that, most of the magazine gurus seem to recommend the Nissin range of speedlights as giving a better performance for price ratio and they are all available for the Nikon.

cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Jan 2011 - 1:04 PM

A decent Nikon SB-800 will serve you well, I have had mine since they where first introduced, It has done a lot of work and still never misses a shot, In fact its so good I was not tempted to replace it with the newer more expensive SB-900, Nice though it might be, The upgrade if you could call it that, Did not offer any significant improvements over the SB-800.....Grin Just a shiny new toy....Smile)))

Maybe the SB-1000 will, If and or when they appear....Wink

BigRick
    BigRick  92085 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Jan 2011 - 5:25 PM

for the budget concious, then two SB-600, or for unlimited cash, then two SB-900 with two softboxes.

grahampartington

Thanks for your replies everyone much appreciated.
    gp

sitav
    sitav  4
    3 Feb 2011 - 10:25 PM

I'd recommend the Nissin Di866, much cheaper than a Nikon speedlight with many of the same features... check it out!

BananaFrog
    5 Feb 2011 - 12:52 PM

I agree with sitav. I attended a lighting workshop at Damian McGillicuddy's studio last saturday. He used these and the results were most impressive. I've just ordered two myself and already own an SB-800.
    Glyn

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.