Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Which tele zoom on the D800?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

thewilliam
21 Jul 2012 - 11:35 AM

The 18-55DX is a great little lens and, optically, it's far better than we're entitled to get for the price. The mechanics leave a bit to be desired but then we get what we pay for.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
21 Jul 2012 - 11:35 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
21 Jul 2012 - 8:51 PM

Quote: The 18-55DX is a great little lens and, optically, it's far better than we're entitled to get for the price. The mechanics leave a bit to be desired but then we get what we pay for.

William,

Why are you recommending a DX lens for an FX camera?

woodworth
woodworth  225 forum posts United Kingdom
27 Jul 2012 - 6:00 PM

Currently I'm considering the Nikon 80-200/2.8 AFD (the second to last two touch version) as a possible solution as it isn't as big as the 70-200/2.8 and a second hand one is usually in the 500-600 area which suits me perfectly. The lack of VR maybe an issue, I'm not sure.

peterjones
peterjones e2 Member 123987 forum postspeterjones vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
27 Jul 2012 - 6:21 PM

Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't the D800 auto-deliver a cropped sensor if a DX lens is used to the tune of about 18Mpx? I am not suggesting a DX lens should be used with a D800 but if needs must?

There is some credence to the suggestion that camera shake will show up more on a sensor with more pixels than a lesser sensor presumably because the shake is effecting more pixels pro rata though in my own experience the difference is marginal; I suspect I will save up my pennies and buy a D800 at some stage and as usual probably NOT use a tripod Sad Sad and I will see for myself.

In the end test results, other people's invaluable experiences and opinions notwithstanding it is up to the individual to examine his/her results at 100% and compare lenses cheap and cheerful or rare, expensive, sexy and desirable, the results can be quite startling. Just as an example only and not to wander off at a tangent I am amazed at the quality of image exhibited by old Nikon manual lenses.

Peter.

woodworth
woodworth  225 forum posts United Kingdom
27 Jul 2012 - 8:18 PM

The 18-55 DX lens is a complete red herring, so please lets get away from it. The op was about a tele zoom for a D800, I think thewilliam either posted in the wrong topic or has a sense of humour and is teasing us! Wink

peterjones
peterjones e2 Member 123987 forum postspeterjones vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jul 2012 - 12:55 PM

Lets really analyse the 18-55, so much fun GrinGrin

thewilliam
28 Jul 2012 - 6:30 PM

I'm not sure how that comment about the 18-55 came to be in this thread.

While on the subject of DX vs FX, one colleague frequently uses DX lenses on her D800 because the auto-crop gives a more manageable file size! She hadn't understood the full implications of file sizes that were 3 times bigger than she'd been used to handling: like needing to buy a more powerful computer.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.