Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Which tele zoom on the D800?

thewilliam 6 4.8k
21 Jul 2012 11:35AM
The 18-55DX is a great little lens and, optically, it's far better than we're entitled to get for the price. The mechanics leave a bit to be desired but then we get what we pay for.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
21 Jul 2012 8:51PM

Quote:The 18-55DX is a great little lens and, optically, it's far better than we're entitled to get for the price. The mechanics leave a bit to be desired but then we get what we pay for.

William,

Why are you recommending a DX lens for an FX camera?
woodworth 2 25 United Kingdom
27 Jul 2012 6:00PM
Currently I'm considering the Nikon 80-200/2.8 AFD (the second to last two touch version) as a possible solution as it isn't as big as the 70-200/2.8 and a second hand one is usually in the 500-600 area which suits me perfectly. The lack of VR maybe an issue, I'm not sure.
peterjones 12 4.0k 1 United Kingdom
27 Jul 2012 6:21PM
Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't the D800 auto-deliver a cropped sensor if a DX lens is used to the tune of about 18Mpx? I am not suggesting a DX lens should be used with a D800 but if needs must?

There is some credence to the suggestion that camera shake will show up more on a sensor with more pixels than a lesser sensor presumably because the shake is effecting more pixels pro rata though in my own experience the difference is marginal; I suspect I will save up my pennies and buy a D800 at some stage and as usual probably NOT use a tripod Sad Sad and I will see for myself.

In the end test results, other people's invaluable experiences and opinions notwithstanding it is up to the individual to examine his/her results at 100% and compare lenses cheap and cheerful or rare, expensive, sexy and desirable, the results can be quite startling. Just as an example only and not to wander off at a tangent I am amazed at the quality of image exhibited by old Nikon manual lenses.

Peter.
woodworth 2 25 United Kingdom
27 Jul 2012 8:18PM
The 18-55 DX lens is a complete red herring, so please lets get away from it. The op was about a tele zoom for a D800, I think thewilliam either posted in the wrong topic or has a sense of humour and is teasing us! Wink
peterjones 12 4.0k 1 United Kingdom
28 Jul 2012 12:55PM
Lets really analyse the 18-55, so much fun GrinGrin
thewilliam 6 4.8k
28 Jul 2012 6:30PM
I'm not sure how that comment about the 18-55 came to be in this thread.

While on the subject of DX vs FX, one colleague frequently uses DX lenses on her D800 because the auto-crop gives a more manageable file size! She hadn't understood the full implications of file sizes that were 3 times bigger than she'd been used to handling: like needing to buy a more powerful computer.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.