Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Which telephoto lens?

25 Mar 2013 8:51AM
I have canon 55-250mm telephoto lens, which I have used extensively. Sometimes result are good , sometimes not. Now I would like to buy a new telephotolens. Pl advice which is the best lens. Is canon 70-300 mm is good? is it very heavy?. I have canon 60d camera with prime lens18-55mm.
uma

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

MalcolmS e2
9 1.1k 13 England
25 Mar 2013 9:12AM
There are three canon lenses, which had you in mind?

Ef 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS USM @ 369. I have this lens and whilst it is not L glass it is very good and I cannot really fault it. it is quite light weight and with image stabilisation is quite versatile and can be hand held easily for long periods. There a few shots in my PF taken with it on a 40D. Here for instance. , here here, here, and here.

EF 70-300mm F4-5.6 L IS USM @ 1129 This is reputed to be a very good lens with excellent clarity, has image stabilisation but is quite heavy, particulalry if you were to carry it around all day.

EF 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 DO IS USM @ 1099. This is a different type of lens and has I believe what they call an element iwithin it called a Fresnel Lens which creates magnification by a numbe rof ciculer rings scribed on the what is basically a flat piece of glass. I have read that you can get good results with this but it can suffer from chromatic aberration due possibly to the Fresnel lens. it is likely not to permor as well as the other two in lower light or for action shots as it is F4.5 at its lower end.

Your choice depends on what you want to pay and what you are going to use it for. All three lenses can be used either on a crop sensor or full frame camera so that is not a consideration in this case. All three lenses are better then the 55-250mm that you are using at the moment.
Nigeyboy e2
6 537 United Kingdom
25 Mar 2013 9:16AM
Are you talking about the Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM or the 70-300mm L version? If its the first one, then I have used that lens on a few occasions. Its not a heavy lens, and would balance with your 60D quite nicely.

Image quality is pretty decent for the price (it has some UD glass in it, usually found in L class lenses!). AF is not stellar - its USM so is quiet, but it can take a while to lock focus. If you are shooting landscapes, portraits etc, not to much of a problem, but if its fast moving (is sports / wildlife), it may struggle a little.

The 70-300 L (that I have not used!), is a far superior lens from what I have read - fast and accurate AF and IQ. But at 4 times the cost of the USM version it should be!!

Here is the review for the L version right here on EPZ - Link

And here is a link for the non L version - Link

hope it helps!

Nige

Edit!! - D'oh!! Too slow as usual!!!!
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
25 Mar 2013 10:00AM
The 70-300 (non-L) is very good value for money - it was my first tele-zoom lens bought for my 30D and has a pretty good balance to the combination. I have got some decent shots of my dog running round l ike an idiot and of birds in flight so the AF tracking is pretty good: not "L" class but I got a good keeper rate. Sharpness to 200mm rivals the 70-200f4L (I have that lens as well) but it falls off a bit (not a lot) between 200mmm-300mm. Malcolm's pictures are pretty much my experience as well.

The 70-300 DO is a lens that some love some hate. For the small amount extra I would recommend the 70-300L.
capto e2
2 1.5k 7 United Kingdom
25 Mar 2013 10:19AM
I had the 70-300 non L and found it very good at times and less so at others. It was as expected weakest at the 300 end especially at max aperture, which is where I seemed to want it most times. I have since sold it and bought the L version. The difference in my opinion is worth every penny of the price. To sum up, the non L is a very good lens for the price, but the L version is the Rolls Royce and is not to big or heavy to carry around. There is a Canon cashback of 80 on the L at the moment. Martins have the 70-300L at 1030 and include a free Hoya filter, 950 after cashback .

http://www.martinscamerashop.co.uk/canon-ef-70-300mm-f4-56-l-is-usm-838-p.asp
25 Mar 2013 11:19AM
thanks for the inputs

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.