Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Which to buy? suggestions.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    User_Removed
    12 Nov 2012 - 2:20 AM

Hello Fellow Ephotoziners

I currently have a Nikon Coolpix L120

But i am looking to upgrade to a more usable camera one which I can have for awhile, ability to purchase attachments etc!

I looked around which my current price range and came up which a couple of possible candidates, but user input and recommendation would be perfect.

Fuji S4530 >Review/Specs< http://www.very.co.uk/fuji-s4530-14-megapixel-digital-camera---red/1081743265.pr...

Panasonic DMCLZ20 ( Lumix ) >Review/Specs< http://www.very.co.uk/panasonic-dmclz20-16-megapixel-digital-camera---black/1146...

Fuji FinePix S2980 >Review/Specs< http://www.ephotozine.com/article/fujifilm-finepix-s2980-digital-camera-review-2...

That's the one's I have had my eye on, I thank you all in advance. If you need more information let me know Smile

-Alex

Last Modified By Moderator Team at 12 Nov 2012 - 8:22 AM
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    12 Nov 2012 - 2:20 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Focus_Man
    Focus_Man  4481 forum posts United Kingdom631 Constructive Critique Points
    12 Nov 2012 - 8:55 AM

Hi Alex
    Whatever you do end up buying I hope you get lots of pleasure from it. It seems you may well be on a tight budget here with the models you are suggesting, but given your mention of "............. ability to purchase attachments etc......" the range of accessories will be limited.

Did you exclude DSLRs deliberately? There is a dated Nikon the D3200 which has had excellent reviews, better than some higher priced Nikons, which can be found with very good offers which would, I feel, be well worth your consideration. The range of lenses etc is much larger and perhaps better able to fulfill your future needs for adding on to.

User_Removed
    12 Nov 2012 - 9:22 AM

FocusMan has a point. When you talk about a range of attachments, it sounds as if you may be looking for more flexibility than the cameras you suggest may provide.

The earlier CSCs (and by "earlier, we only mean a year or two old - given how rapidly new models come out) are now selling new for well under 300 and, with these, you have the opportunity to purchase additional lenses, etc., as and when funds allow.

ChrisV
    ChrisV  7768 forum posts United Kingdom26 Constructive Critique Points
    12 Nov 2012 - 2:50 PM

If you are thinking of going down the DSLR route, if I were starting out and on a limited budget, I'd be strongly considering the Pentax k30 - it's a fantastic camera for the money. Great high ISO performance, weather sealing [weather sealing at that price!], good ergonomics and in body IS.

Pros will very probably largely stick with the CaNikon duopoly [I'm tied into Canon], but the big two will charge more than double for a camera with these features. It isn't quite so good for video as some other cameras [no HDMI, dedicated video button or external mic ports], but other than that I don't thin there's anything to touch it at this price-point.

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315182 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    12 Nov 2012 - 7:08 PM

I take it your on a very tight budget.

There are two ways you can go, either get a compact with a fairly decent set of features, a hot shoe is recommended for expandability.

Or get a cheap CSC, Olympus, Panasonic etc.

CSC`w with lenses start at around 200 second hand, high end compacts a little less.

Buying new, both can be picked up for under 300, but if you want expandability I would avoid the sub 200 compacts.

Paul_Anthony
    12 Nov 2012 - 7:48 PM

If you could stretch your budget a little then something along the lines of the Nikon 1 V1 could be a good choice. Great features, interchangeable lenses and user friendly.

Good luck whatever you choose though.

Regards

Paul

User_Removed
    12 Nov 2012 - 8:30 PM

Thank you for all the messages, and input. I will have a look at all the information and see how far I can actually squeeze Smile

Such a short budget because moving back to Canada, in May. So new camera for the leaving pictures and to last me awhile in Canada.

Again thanks very much, ill put all the advice to good use.

-Alex

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315182 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Nov 2012 - 12:16 AM

This is a pretty good deal.

http://www.wilkinson.co.uk/olympus-e-pm1-mini-af-14-42-ii-r-silver.html

Niknut
    Niknut e2 Member 4559 forum postsNiknut vcard United Kingdom60 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Nov 2012 - 5:07 PM

Alex...from your three choices, the Panasonic LZ20 is a clear winner......if it's as good as my Pan. FZ45, then you
    won't regret it.......note the name on the front of the lens (Vario Elmarit.....in other words a Leica lens !!!)......

At 129 you can't go wrong !!!!......hope that helps.Smile

Last Modified By Niknut at 17 Nov 2012 - 5:08 PM
    Paul Morgan
    17 Nov 2012 - 5:12 PM

Quote: note the name on the front of the lens (Vario Elmarit.....in other words a Leica lens !!!)......

Lol some ones been sucked into the marketing Smile

Niknut
    Niknut e2 Member 4559 forum postsNiknut vcard United Kingdom60 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Nov 2012 - 5:51 PM

Try telling that to Panasonic !!!......Tongue

AlexandraSD
    18 Nov 2012 - 1:44 AM

The Lumix LZ20 was really high on my what new camera to buy next list, but the lack of a hotshoe did put me off, but Panasonic though, i admit that the brand was enough to put me off, despite that fine Leica lens. But there is nothing inherently wrong with this camera, in fact i came very very close to buying one this week, in red, but another camera won.

I never rated Fuji camera's, their film was the stuff of legend, but after 20 minutes with my Dads old fuji bridge camera i felt suicidal! It was alien to me, but after using simple SLR's for 20 odd years the fuji just looked a complicated mess.

Buying a new camera is never easy, unless a specific model has just come out that you really need badly, and you just go out and buy it, before i bought my 350d i had a 3mp HP compact camera, utter rubbish, so the choice was made for me when canon bought the 350d out, this time however it has taken me several weeks to finally settle on a new camera, and after 20 years of SLR's i decided it was time to streamline which made choosing my next camera even more tricky.

But i am the last person to take camera advice from, i would have bought the Lumix LZ20 weeks ago if they did them in yellow Wink

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.