Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

which tripod?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    blackybell
    6 May 2011 - 10:23 PM

Hi there, i got a MIRANDA pro video 1 tripod, but the quick release plate is missing, is better to ditch this tripod and spend my money and get a better one (the miranda i inherited so cost nothing),

If buying a another one any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    6 May 2011 - 10:23 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

scottishphototours

Try doing a search on the top right of the screen for "tripods" - you'll be amazed the results you get... Wink

sherlob
    sherlob e2 Member 82324 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom125 Constructive Critique Points
    7 May 2011 - 9:41 AM

Welcome to the site Tony.

It depends largely on what you do, or want to do with your photography. Those doing landscape, travel, portrait, studio, still life and macro may all want slightly different things. Similarly, those who are dabbling occasionally with photography as a bit of fun, oppossed to those who take their hobby far more seriously (or professionally) will have different expectations.

Did your Miranda serve you well? Did it break as a consequence of you pushing it past its build quality and spec? If you answer yes to the first question, but no to the second - consider buying something cheap and cheerful. If you answer yes to the second question, then its probably time to upgrade to a better spec'd model.

Rgds,

Adam

cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    7 May 2011 - 11:16 AM

Quote: Try doing a search on the top right of the screen for "tripods"

Awesome advise, Any idea how to narrow that down from the 60 odd pages dating back to before 2006, How about " Tripods in the last year or so "......Grin

The search facility whilst being quite useful for members who know how to get the best from it, Can be a nightmare for a " New Member " to navigate easily.....Sad

Though it has to be said its a whole lot easier to refer to the search box, Rather than offer some friendly advise.....Wink

lobsterboy
    lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014137 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
    7 May 2011 - 11:27 AM

Quote: Any idea how to narrow that down from the 60 odd pages dating back to before 2006, How about " Tripods in the last year or so "......Grin

Click on Date and it puts them in date order for you.

blackybell
    7 May 2011 - 11:33 AM

I am mainly looking at taking buildings/landscapes pending if i get arrested or not(from pc plod) buti have never used the miranda so i cant comment what it is like, the way i look it,the money i spend buying bits for this tripod i could put to and more a expensive one and get better quality.

I had a look at some different tripods but i like to go peoples experiences.

sherlob
    sherlob e2 Member 82324 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom125 Constructive Critique Points
    7 May 2011 - 12:18 PM

Ok. I miss understood. I thought you'd been using the Miranda. No matter - have you done an eBay search for spare base quick release plates? I don't know the exact model you have, but the miranda tripods I have seen in the past have been reasonable entry level units, but are more intended for video.

What is your budget?

For landscapes you need a sturdy tripod to help maintain stability in all weathers. I know all tripods are supposed to be sturdy, but some are definately better than others, and in a strong wind a tripod that is too flimsy will simply give you blurred images. On the other hand - your likely to be carrying the ruddy thing around - so weight is an issue too. Often in both landscape and architectural photography you'll want to work from a low position, and often the ground will be uneven. A tripod that allows each leg to be angled independantly is an advantage here.

As a ball park figure you'll be looking around 90-130 for a good model. Remember that most decent tripods have detachable heads - so either ensure your chosen model includes a head, or budget for one.

Finally, brands... most users on here seem to be fans of Manfrotto. Whilst they do make some lovely gear I find that they don't stand for the level of abuse I put my tripods through - lasting on average a year (I really do abuse my tripods though). My last tripod was by Indura - this was a reasonable bit of kit and I'd recommend them. However - 2 yrs later and the twist lock mechanisms in the legs have finally given up on me (sea water corrodes just about anything over time regardless of how you clean your kit). Recently, I purchased a Giottos aluminium model. So far its been excellent - but having only used it a couple of times I don't feel its been fully tested yet. I decided against the equivilant Manfrotto as the release lever for the angle position on the legs of the manfrotto looks somewhat flimsy to me and in the past I have had a model where this broke.

Good hunting...

blackybell
    7 May 2011 - 4:02 PM

Cheers folks, i will have a look, on the web/ebay.
    Much appreciated.

FanPilot
    FanPilot  329 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    7 May 2011 - 4:28 PM

I and my (soon to be ex) wife have a Cobra tripod each. (I bought mine some 15 years after I bought my wifes). They may be cheap, but they are quite sturdy (I have seen some real flimsy ones).

Well, my wife lost her quick release plate, but it was a simple remedy to replace. (Well, it was for me anyway). Basically, the QR plate is triangle shaped but the top of the triangle removed if you see what I mean. All I did was make another one... the screw thread is a standard size, how I retained the screw was to make the screw as well and up near the head, undercut the thread, so that it could screw into the QR plate (which has a screw thread) and then will just sit there (as the thread on the plate will just sit in the undercut space on the screw).

Worked well for me.

I did something similar when I made my own panohead.

Robert_Malcolm
    7 May 2011 - 10:42 PM

Don't ask me. I have 5 tripods. I can recommend to sherlob that he stops abusing tripods. It's pretty pointless calling a tripod names - they never listen.

Seriously, you buy what you need. Make a list of needs (maximum weight, height, load capacity, flexibility {which is why the Manfrotto 055xProB is popular}) and any other deciding factor.
    My video tripod weighs 4.5kg and it gets tough to carry around after a few hours (with a lot of other gear). The Manfrotto comes in at 2.3kg with a head, but not one for video (liquid is essential) but I've used it for occasional fixed shots.

One thing I will say is buy the best to fit your criteria that you can reasonably afford. If you don't you will buy again as soon as you realise the limitations of your purchase.

Last Modified By Robert_Malcolm at 7 May 2011 - 11:08 PM
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.