Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Which type of photo gets most votes?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
miptog
miptog  83529 forum posts United Kingdom61 Constructive Critique Points
22 Sep 2008 - 10:40 PM

It always dismays me that some exceptional work on this site gets very little attention, whilst other good but average work gets much more attention.

Moral of story:
1. Clicks do not mean that you are a good photographer.
2. Load that same image on other sites and see what votes it gets!

EDIT:
Having stated that, some of the most helpful people and friendly people freely share their expertise, and in most cases, people improve their level of photography. But it would be oh so nice not to have these little cliques, and pleasant comments.

Last Modified By miptog at 22 Sep 2008 - 10:44 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
22 Sep 2008 - 10:40 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Just Jas
Just Jas  1225716 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
22 Sep 2008 - 10:57 PM

That's the way the cookie crumbles!

JBA
JBA  5341 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
22 Sep 2008 - 11:27 PM

It also seems to depend on how good an image looks at thumbnail size. Subtly good stuff is harder to spot and gets less attention than more graphic images.
Breasts and sunsets stand out. . . if you get me drift. . .
No problem with it, just an observation. The format of the site inevitably influences what is viewed most.
I suppose it's faintly depressing, but it does show 'what people like' . I've always found 'what people like' to be pretty depressing on the whole anyway Smile . . . I mean some people like Jeremy Clarkson. . .

Jon

User_Removed
22 Sep 2008 - 11:31 PM

I've absolutely no Idea Wink

dougv
dougv Site Moderator 108357 forum postsdougv vcard England3 Constructive Critique Points
22 Sep 2008 - 11:40 PM

If you look at the main gallery and sort on views descending and then change the sort filter to votes descending you will see some of the same shots but the results are definitely different.

It seems that nudes have more views than votes.

Smile

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014556 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
22 Sep 2008 - 11:47 PM

you looking for knockers Doug, the secret's out Wink

Just Jas
Just Jas  1225716 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
22 Sep 2008 - 11:48 PM

It's a long queue! Wink

KenTaylor
KenTaylor e2 Member 92967 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
23 Sep 2008 - 12:03 AM

We have a broad general site for absolute beginners and long standing pros.
Just bear in mind that a click denotes you like it, good or bad based on a learning curve.
Should you want serious and high standard photography there are sites out there that meets that criteria that is non competative. You do though have to be prepared for rejection if not up to standard.
Ken

G73photography
23 Sep 2008 - 12:41 AM

this almost looks like a click clique thread in disguise.... we not had one for a while, about what pics get most votes, ive found flowers tend to get a lions share of people votes, its easy, stick on a pic of a average quality flower, vote anyone and everyone you can and watch you votes roll in, i dont get as many votes as i used to, theres two reasons for this... 1, I dont use the site as much as i use to, and 2, i stopped giving happy clicks and only really vote for images i really like rather than return voting, theres alot of users out there who get nowhere near as many as opposed to the usuall uploaders of average stuff who get between 50 and 100 click per image, Ive see some cracking landscapes that get nowhere near enough votes or praise, im sure im not the only one who thinks that votes are mainy how popular you can be. but also there are some great pics out there that ARE deserved of their clicks and awards. steps down from soap box,

Last Modified By G73photography at 23 Sep 2008 - 12:42 AM
StrayCat
StrayCat  1014210 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
23 Sep 2008 - 12:59 AM

Ah! Clicks, EC's, HC's, POTW, they're all just a drop in the bucket compared to a Blue Heart. You relative newbies don't know the feeling, and of course, you never will. It's gone; in the past; History; etc. Well, at least we have something to tell the great grandchildren around the hearth on a cold winter's night, with the Northern Lights dancing in the sky. There was definitely magic in those hearts; they could raise the lowest spirits, and cheer a person with their warmth. Do you oldtimers remember? I'll bet some of you go back that far, and you'll be getting on in years now, but if the old memory still works, it'll bring you a bit of cheer now and then. Ahhh...the memories.

G73photography
23 Sep 2008 - 1:42 AM

lol it sounds a bit before my time, Wink

StrayCat
23 Sep 2008 - 1:49 AM

Ehhh Sonny, a young lad are ye? There are many stories in the Epz Library, The Blue Hearts is just one of them. Telling stories about Clicks to your grandkids is just not going to be the same, is it?

StrayCat
23 Sep 2008 - 1:53 AM

Pete missed the boat on the Blue Hearts. When they put out that clothing line there awhile ago, just imagine how items with blue hearts would have sold. Of course Big Bri, Ade McFade, KeithH, Boyd, and the rest of them would have bought them all, left none for the rest of us, that's if Jas and CB didn't get them first.

Miles Herbert
23 Sep 2008 - 7:14 AM

I miss Blue Hearts ... so much more personal then just "Votes", so much more friendly and welcoming. In them days it felt worth while tending to and nurturing your click-clique, carefully fertilising photos with "nice image" comments... before reaping the rewards of your labours with a mighty harvest of Blue Hearts...

Sigh.....

csurry
csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
23 Sep 2008 - 8:28 AM

Oh but before blue hearts there were votes out of 5. Now that was interesting!

Not many shots ever got less than 5 unless you were a noobie. If you voted less than 5 on someones shot they would surely return the favour Wink

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.