Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Which type of photo gets most votes?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

csurry
csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
23 Sep 2008 - 4:59 PM

Quote: Another thing as well, what sells, and sells very well, are images that may not do well on here

I knew Scholey had found an outlet for all them blurry shots somewhere!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
23 Sep 2008 - 4:59 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

PatrickSmith
23 Sep 2008 - 6:25 PM

Interesting discussion about Ansel Adams. But times change. Just think if the #1 most popular song writer from the 1930's were to try to break into the pop charts of today?

Ansel's shots have been 'done,' so we are looking for something different now. But I would guess that if EPZ had begun in the 1930's, Ansel would have lots of EC's and comments in his PF!

Patrick

Cj-Photography
23 Sep 2008 - 6:31 PM

One thing I did notice, was that when you win an EC or anything, I don't think it is added as the lastest, I think it actually goes in line with the date you uploaded it, so it probably never gets seen if its taken more than a week to get there.

Foxfire
Foxfire  10322 forum posts United Kingdom
23 Sep 2008 - 7:14 PM

I value a really good comment, with more that just one syllable, but actually states why the viewer liked it, or suggestions on how to improve the image.
We can all learn from others suggestions and perspective of ones work.
As far as getting your photo to EC or "Feature of the Week", is like winning the lottery and I do not always agree with choice. That is what Art is all about, very subjective to personal likes and dislikes.

For some reason I am not certain how much value I put on EC, as this is a one persons view and that does not certify that it qualifies for "brilliant"

Neither do I agree that only Neeeekeed woman and heavy manipulated/HDR images get a lot of attention. I have seen some awesome, Portraits, Wildlife, Engineering and Architectural shots, get the full appreciation and approval by the EPZ members, because they are so good.

Last Modified By Foxfire at 23 Sep 2008 - 7:16 PM
MediumSizeUnavailable

Quote: One thing I did notice, was that when you win an EC or anything, I don't think it is added as the lastest, I think it actually goes in line with the date you uploaded it, so it probably never gets seen if its taken more than a week to get there

Makes little or no difference for the HCs and ECs. Only for the RCs your photo will hardly/not get any additional views if it took a long time to get to that RC status as it will appear way down the RC gallery pages. But perhaps rightly so.

Speaking of which though, think it might be a good idea if photos in the user award gallery are displayed by the times that they received the award, rather then by the time the photo was uploaded.

Just Jas
Just Jas  1225739 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
29 Sep 2008 - 12:26 PM

Quote: When I started selling to clients wanting images, I had to get out of my mindset that club photography had got me into, its the same with EPZ.

Club (and epz) photographers tend to produce 'photographs for photographers'.

In other words following the currently accepted club style , (pseudo arty?)

Professional photographers produce photos which they find sells to their market niche - not necessarily the same thing.
jas

Strobe
Strobe  61254 forum posts United States
29 Sep 2008 - 1:35 PM

Quote:
Speaking of which though, think it might be a good idea if photos in the user award gallery are displayed by the times that they received the award, rather then by the time the photo was uploaded.

hear hear

GaryR
GaryR  71348 forum posts England
29 Sep 2008 - 1:46 PM

I like the system of clicks. For a (long term) beginner like me it give a confidence boost to know that some people like one of my images. I would never give somebody a vote because they voted on mine and I wouldn't expect a vote in return for a vote.

An RC, whilst appreciated, simply means that 30 or more people like something about the image. It does not necessarily mean that it is a great image. Each individual knows whether they got clicks by return, so they are only kidding themselves if they take it as a sign that they are a great photographer.

I always give positive comments because I don't feel I have the experience or ability / skill to tell people where they could have improved an image.

I always try to comment on pictures that grab my attention even if they are not of a subject matter that I normally like. Certain subjects will always do better than others because they are more popular and therefore have a much greater appeal.

I guess at the end of the day votes can help, but you have to accept them for what they are.

Gary.

KatieR
KatieR  106197 forum posts6 Constructive Critique Points
29 Sep 2008 - 1:52 PM

I was mooching through the Gallery this morning and picking the odd shot to view.

I don't find the number of votes an issue any more - it's a worry that has long since passed me by, thank goodness - and I don't even have a problem with the clique thing either.

However, I am concerned about:
(a) some people's eyesight, and/or
(b) the things people are prepared to say, or not.

Now, there is always a place for encouragement and pleasantries amongst friends, but when a picture is severely out of focus, I find it astonishing that not one single person out of literally dozens has apparently noticed. I find it yet more disturbing that a number of people also write "great focus, pin sharp!".

So, is it my eyes? I've recently had them tested and am even wearing my glasses this morning. My screen is good - very sharp, I think. I can clearly see that many of my own shots are far from "pin sharp"... most in fact!... and I would expect to be told so if I uploaded a duffer and had stated it was otherwise.

Should I be more understanding? Do eyes and monitors really vary so much? Perhaps there is an in-joke that I am missing.

Anyway, I am befuddled.

User_Removed
29 Sep 2008 - 2:05 PM

Quote:
Perhaps there is an in-joke that I am missing.

An in-something, certainly.

KatieR
KatieR  106197 forum posts6 Constructive Critique Points
29 Sep 2008 - 2:07 PM

insanity?

insanitary?

csurry
csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
29 Sep 2008 - 2:29 PM

Quote: However, I am concerned about:
(a) some people's eyesight

Funny I had exactly the same thought this morning - I was going to suggest that ePZ could go into partnership with Specsavers Wink

I do wonder sometimes if some people have ever seen a well focussed image, it seems an awful lot have not.

Almost worth pointing out some examples Grin

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110181 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
29 Sep 2008 - 2:36 PM

Quote: Quote:When I started selling to clients wanting images, I had to get out of my mindset that club photography had got me into, its the same with EPZ.Club (and epz) photographers tend to produce 'photographs for photographers'.

In other words following the currently accepted club style , (pseudo arty?)

Professional photographers produce photos which they find sells to their market niche - not necessarily the same thing.
jas

and there are even a few left who just shoot the images that they like! Wink

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014036 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
29 Sep 2008 - 2:41 PM

Quote: I was going to suggest that ePZ could go into partnership with Specsavers

Maybe as well as the grey calibration strip at the bottom of the screen, we should have an eye chart too!

Foxfire
Foxfire  10322 forum posts United Kingdom
29 Sep 2008 - 3:13 PM

Ok guys I agree with all of you, I have got the shakes, stomach cramps. Help me and please please come to my page I need my daily fix of votes, plenty of kudos. I even dance naked in my room for you right now, just gimme gimme gimme. :0 Smile

Last Modified By Foxfire at 29 Sep 2008 - 3:14 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.