Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Which type of photo gets most votes?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314973 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jun 2013 - 2:33 AM

I`ve found I get more comments with voting switched off, people can`t click and run Smile

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
25 Jun 2013 - 2:33 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

StrayCat
StrayCat  1014498 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jun 2013 - 7:10 AM

Oh, I couldn't handle it without votes Paul.Tongue

richmowil
richmowil e2 Member 5240 forum postsrichmowil vcard England1 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jun 2013 - 10:32 AM

Quote: I`ve found I get more comments with voting switched off, people can`t click and run Smile

They just run!!

pulsar69
pulsar69  101611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jun 2013 - 10:44 AM

Just as a point of interest then :

I sell my landscape work. To me then it is a very useful reflection of how much commercial potential a print has how many votes it gets as i am not vote rigging in fact hardly even bother voting. If i get a good raft of votes on a photo that tells me people like it plain and simple, and if people like it, it therefore follows that i has potential to sell. Granted it doesn't necessarily translate into sales numbers exactly but its a very good indicator.

In that was and that way alone the vote system is perfect is it not ?

arhb
arhb e2 Member 72151 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom67 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jun 2013 - 11:39 AM

Quote: Just as a point of interest then :

I sell my landscape work. To me then it is a very useful reflection of how much commercial potential a print has how many votes it gets as i am not vote rigging in fact hardly even bother voting. If i get a good raft of votes on a photo that tells me people like it plain and simple, and if people like it, it therefore follows that i has potential to sell. Granted it doesn't necessarily translate into sales numbers exactly but its a very good indicator.

If the high/low voting actually translates into good/bad sales, it is a good indicator.
However, there does seem to be a contrast between images that other photographers like(on epz for eg), and what the general public like.
When I had images displayed on facebook, the response was quite different to epz vote response.

Last Modified By arhb at 26 Jun 2013 - 11:40 AM
keithh
keithh  1022815 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jun 2013 - 12:07 PM

The vote numbers on EPZ have no bearing on the commerciality of an image.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014747 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jun 2013 - 12:27 PM

Quote: Just as a point of interest then :

bizarrely enough - I found that "the public" seemed to prefer the bright, happy shots to the dark, brooding... which is the exact opposite of what you got votewise

keithh
keithh  1022815 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jun 2013 - 12:33 PM

Nobody buys a photo of Scarborough with a storm howling in and looking drab and moody and then says to their neighbours "We went here on holiday."

They might buy a photo of Scafell under a storm cloud and say "I climbed that!"

The biggest thing with landscapes is believability. Most people will turn away if they think it never existed anywhere near like the photograph in the first place.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014747 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jun 2013 - 12:40 PM

I sussed that out years ago when I did a calendar for a mate's milk company (Bowland Fresh - lancashire's premier milk!)

It was all stuff from the Ribble Valley

Everyone in the village and all the farmers in the valley got one for Xmas

They all seemed to mention the bright, sunny shot of Ribblehead Viaduct, but thought some of the more "classic EPZ style" broody shots were "miserable". These were shots which got loads of EPZ love...

Was a good education back in 2006

pink
pink  111446 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jun 2013 - 1:28 PM

Precisely why we should shoot in two ways if we want to sell the odd image, do your own stuff for the likes of epz, camera club etc and then some commercial stuff to sell.
When showing prints to family and friends they often comment on the 'dark and broody' images but never seem to want a copy.
Nowt as strange as folk!
Ian

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.