Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Which type of photo gets most votes?

Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
25 Jun 2013 2:33AM
I`ve found I get more comments with voting switched off, people can`t click and run Smile

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
25 Jun 2013 7:10AM
Oh, I couldn't handle it without votes Paul.Tongue
richmowil e2
5 279 1 England
26 Jun 2013 10:32AM

Quote:I`ve found I get more comments with voting switched off, people can`t click and run Smile

They just run!!
pulsar69 10 1.6k 6 United Kingdom
26 Jun 2013 10:44AM
Just as a point of interest then :

I sell my landscape work. To me then it is a very useful reflection of how much commercial potential a print has how many votes it gets as i am not vote rigging in fact hardly even bother voting. If i get a good raft of votes on a photo that tells me people like it plain and simple, and if people like it, it therefore follows that i has potential to sell. Granted it doesn't necessarily translate into sales numbers exactly but its a very good indicator.

In that was and that way alone the vote system is perfect is it not ?
arhb e2
7 2.5k 68 United Kingdom
26 Jun 2013 11:39AM

Quote:Just as a point of interest then :

I sell my landscape work. To me then it is a very useful reflection of how much commercial potential a print has how many votes it gets as i am not vote rigging in fact hardly even bother voting. If i get a good raft of votes on a photo that tells me people like it plain and simple, and if people like it, it therefore follows that i has potential to sell. Granted it doesn't necessarily translate into sales numbers exactly but its a very good indicator.

If the high/low voting actually translates into good/bad sales, it is a good indicator.
However, there does seem to be a contrast between images that other photographers like(on epz for eg), and what the general public like.
When I had images displayed on facebook, the response was quite different to epz vote response.
keithh e2
11 23.4k 33 Wallis And Futuna
26 Jun 2013 12:07PM
The vote numbers on EPZ have no bearing on the commerciality of an image.
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
26 Jun 2013 12:27PM

Quote:Just as a point of interest then :

bizarrely enough - I found that "the public" seemed to prefer the bright, happy shots to the dark, brooding... which is the exact opposite of what you got votewise
keithh e2
11 23.4k 33 Wallis And Futuna
26 Jun 2013 12:33PM
Nobody buys a photo of Scarborough with a storm howling in and looking drab and moody and then says to their neighbours "We went here on holiday."

They might buy a photo of Scafell under a storm cloud and say "I climbed that!"

The biggest thing with landscapes is believability. Most people will turn away if they think it never existed anywhere near like the photograph in the first place.
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
26 Jun 2013 12:40PM
I sussed that out years ago when I did a calendar for a mate's milk company (Bowland Fresh - lancashire's premier milk!)

It was all stuff from the Ribble Valley

Everyone in the village and all the farmers in the valley got one for Xmas

They all seemed to mention the bright, sunny shot of Ribblehead Viaduct, but thought some of the more "classic EPZ style" broody shots were "miserable". These were shots which got loads of EPZ love...

Was a good education back in 2006
pink 11 1.9k 5 United Kingdom
26 Jun 2013 1:28PM
Precisely why we should shoot in two ways if we want to sell the odd image, do your own stuff for the likes of epz, camera club etc and then some commercial stuff to sell.
When showing prints to family and friends they often comment on the 'dark and broody' images but never seem to want a copy.
Nowt as strange as folk!
Ian

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.