Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

White Balance

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    AdrianTurner
    19 Jul 2004 - 11:32 AM

Has anyone heard of or better still experience of 'ExpoDisc White Balance and Exposure Filter' available on eBay for 58.71.

Does this sounds too good to be true.

The seller states;
    'ExpoDiscs are multi-element filters that friction-fit into the front of your camera lens to provide you with the ideal tool to achieve White Balance on the First Proof, without the problems caused by gray or white cards. They are faster, easier and more consistent than all other options.'

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    19 Jul 2004 - 11:32 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

AdrianTurner
    19 Jul 2004 - 2:08 PM

Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139495 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    19 Jul 2004 - 2:44 PM

Sounds like a rip off. A white handkerchief does me fine! Lol!!

AdrianTurner
    19 Jul 2004 - 3:02 PM

CB,
    I'm still on a steep learning curve here, are you saying that you use a known white object in a reference shot and use this for all other shots under those specific lighting conditions or are you placing the handkerchief over the lens to create a custom white balance?

Or am I totaly barking up the wrong tree?

Adrian

tim franklin
    19 Jul 2004 - 4:39 PM

Yeah, you can do that. Anything that is either a true white or has a mid-tone grey. I bought a Gretag mini color chart for such purposes. For me that would only be occasional but its simple to just put it in shot, take a frame then carry on. Once back at base you can click on the white (or grey) patch to establish your white balance, which can then be applied to other shots taken in those lighting conditions.

As for the ExpoDisc, I've heard of this. There used to be a similar item for puting over your lens in order to use the camera's meter to take incident light readings. I guess this is much the same. IIRC, using a white aerosol top or plastic beaker thingy can be as effective.

AdrianTurner
    19 Jul 2004 - 4:50 PM

Cheers Tim,
    just to clarify, IIRC,- what does this mean?
    using a white aerosol top or plastic beaker thingy can be as effective again are we talking of placing this over the lens and if so, is this to create a custom white balance within the camera setup?

tim franklin
    19 Jul 2004 - 5:01 PM

IIRC - If I Recall Correctly.

That's right. Place over the lens front. To use it for an incident reading, point the camera towards the light source and take a meter reading. Set that on the camera in manual.

For the ExpoDisc, read about it here, which is what I am going to do now!

AdrianTurner
    19 Jul 2004 - 5:05 PM

Thanks again Tim.

User_Removed
    19 Jul 2004 - 5:06 PM

I understand that the top from a 'tube' of Pringles works just as well!

AdrianTurner
    19 Jul 2004 - 5:11 PM

Thanks Barrie, any idea how much they go for on eBay, there must be someone selling them on there. LOL!

tim franklin
    19 Jul 2004 - 5:18 PM

top from a 'tube' of Pringles

Shame those only come in one "filter size", eh! Wink

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.