Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

White balance

mex Plus
7 23 3 United Kingdom
1 Jan 2009 2:42PM
hi all, can any k10d users tell me what is the best white balance setting for portraits/ glam portraits/ skin tones.
thanks

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Chrism8 8 756 14 England
1 Jan 2009 3:43PM
Shoot in Raw and modify afterwards.

Page 2 and 5 of my p/f have a couple of recent portraits in home studio conditions.

Chris
julesm 11 1.7k 7 United Kingdom
1 Jan 2009 3:49PM

Quote:Hi all, can any k10d users tell me what is the best white balance setting for portraits/ glam portraits/ skin tones.
thanks

there isnt a best WB for any type of pic? Its all to do with the colour temperature you take the pic in, and what you want it to look like?
I'd take some time to understand WB before bothering what to set it to, and then consider shooting in Raw so you can change it afterwarsds anyway?

Jules
JJGEE 10 6.5k 18 England
1 Jan 2009 5:17PM

Quote:Raw so you can change it afterwarsds anyway?

But, you can change the WB with jpg & tiff as well.
tepot 10 4.4k United Kingdom
1 Jan 2009 5:30PM
shooting digital you can experiment on the fly, and yes you can alter your tones in software.
Centurion 10 1.2k England
1 Jan 2009 6:14PM
Invest in a grey card and adjust later in software. Much quicker than custom wb during the shoot.
julesm 11 1.7k 7 United Kingdom
1 Jan 2009 10:25PM

Quote:Quote:Raw so you can change it afterwarsds anyway?But, you can change the WB with jpg & tiff as well.

No not really. Try the two and youll see the difference.
froggma 6 19 1
4 Jan 2009 11:24AM
Mex,

Both my K10 and 20D cameras tend to err on the cold side when I use auto wb. I have only recently been changing wb settings to suit the scene and getting warmer/more pleasing images that require less post processing. My subjects are static and my set up uses a tripod etc so no hurry for me and I don't use flash which, for portraits, you may well do. Take a few test shots at different settings and choose the one you prefer. I only shoot raw and can change the wb if needed but prefer to get it something like in camera, I'm a bit old fashioned like that. If you shoot jpegs then this is your only option really. Look at my PF at St Chad's Chapel, this was taken using the daylight setting on WB, the auto setting rendered it very cold with a blue cast, daylight setting gave me the pleasant warmth I was looking for.

Martin
mex Plus
7 23 3 United Kingdom
9 Jan 2009 11:50PM
thanks to all, martin thanks am going to shoot in raw tomorrow( im out me comfort zone here), so i will put up my first pic as is thanks again for the help, cheers to all.
mex

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.