Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

White balance

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    mex
    mex e2 Member 6mex vcard United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Jan 2009 - 2:42 PM

hi all, can any k10d users tell me what is the best white balance setting for portraits/ glam portraits/ skin tones.
    thanks

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    1 Jan 2009 - 2:42 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Chrism8
    Chrism8  7743 forum posts England13 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Jan 2009 - 3:43 PM

Shoot in Raw and modify afterwards.

Page 2 and 5 of my p/f have a couple of recent portraits in home studio conditions.

Chris

Last Modified By Chrism8 at 1 Jan 2009 - 3:47 PM
    julesm
    julesm  101698 forum posts United Kingdom7 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Jan 2009 - 3:49 PM

Quote: Hi all, can any k10d users tell me what is the best white balance setting for portraits/ glam portraits/ skin tones.
    thanks

there isnt a best WB for any type of pic? Its all to do with the colour temperature you take the pic in, and what you want it to look like?
    I'd take some time to understand WB before bothering what to set it to, and then consider shooting in Raw so you can change it afterwarsds anyway?

Jules

JJGEE
    JJGEE  96223 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Jan 2009 - 5:17 PM

Quote: Raw so you can change it afterwarsds anyway?

But, you can change the WB with jpg & tiff as well.

tepot
    tepot  94416 forum posts United Kingdom
    1 Jan 2009 - 5:30 PM

shooting digital you can experiment on the fly, and yes you can alter your tones in software.

Centurion
    Centurion  91243 forum posts England
    1 Jan 2009 - 6:14 PM

Invest in a grey card and adjust later in software. Much quicker than custom wb during the shoot.

julesm
    julesm  101698 forum posts United Kingdom7 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Jan 2009 - 10:25 PM

Quote: Quote:Raw so you can change it afterwarsds anyway?But, you can change the WB with jpg & tiff as well.

No not really. Try the two and youll see the difference.

froggma
    froggma  51 Constructive Critique Points
    4 Jan 2009 - 11:24 AM

Mex,

Both my K10 and 20D cameras tend to err on the cold side when I use auto wb. I have only recently been changing wb settings to suit the scene and getting warmer/more pleasing images that require less post processing. My subjects are static and my set up uses a tripod etc so no hurry for me and I don't use flash which, for portraits, you may well do. Take a few test shots at different settings and choose the one you prefer. I only shoot raw and can change the wb if needed but prefer to get it something like in camera, I'm a bit old fashioned like that. If you shoot jpegs then this is your only option really. Look at my PF at St Chad's Chapel, this was taken using the daylight setting on WB, the auto setting rendered it very cold with a blue cast, daylight setting gave me the pleasant warmth I was looking for.

Martin

Last Modified By froggma at 4 Jan 2009 - 11:24 AM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    mex
    mex e2 Member 6mex vcard United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
    9 Jan 2009 - 11:50 PM

thanks to all, martin thanks am going to shoot in raw tomorrow( im out me comfort zone here), so i will put up my first pic as is thanks again for the help, cheers to all.
    mex

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.