Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

White balance

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    tepot
    tepot  104416 forum posts United Kingdom
    15 Aug 2012 - 2:05 AM

I am using my Canon 5D on auto white balance (AWB) setting and all my images are coming out a tad on the warm side, no problem as i can cool them in my .RAW program but i was wondering the best setting for getting it right in camera, i was shooting with flash in this instance.

Terry.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    15 Aug 2012 - 2:05 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
    15 Aug 2012 - 7:12 AM

Hi Teapot. What is the cameras colour temp. set at?
    Mine is set at 5200K most of the time which seems to work out suitable for most things.

isleofmull
    15 Aug 2012 - 7:44 AM

Switch the white balance setting from "auto" to "flash".

Nick_w
    Nick_w e2 Member 73852 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Aug 2012 - 7:49 AM

If you shoot RAW why worry? For critical shots use a 18% grey card to calibrate at the start of the shoot.

User_Removed
    15 Aug 2012 - 10:27 AM

I think the slightly warm results are just a Canon thing. As Nick_w says, why worry? If you do worry, then just set an import preset to compensate.

There is a thread on WB and Raw in the Digital Cameras section which you might find illuminating.

tepot
    15 Aug 2012 - 9:20 PM

The colour temp in the camera is set to 5200, but if i set the WB to auto, it tends to pick it's own value depending on the scene.

Yes i used to use Nikon and my shots were definately a little cooler out of the camera, it's definately a canon thing. I'll have to set my white balance to 4900 in the menu since thats were my personal preference lies, but how do i make it shoot at that temp all the time?

Terry.

justin c
    justin c  104519 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Aug 2012 - 9:55 PM

You just set the temperature to 4900 and then select Custom White Balance and it will remain on those settings until you decide to change them.

User_Removed
    16 Aug 2012 - 10:33 AM

Terry,

As Justin says, you can easily set the camera to shoot at the same colour temperature all the time. But why would you want to? (unless you were shooting everything in a controlled environment with totally consistent lighting).

Outwith such a controlled environment, theoretically you need to use a different WB setting for every shot you take. Either you adjust the WB on the camera before every shot or you adjust it in Lightroom or ACR (or whatever) afterwards.

Or, like most of us, you leave the camera on AWB and accept that for most of your shots, with the option of adjusting later if you feel the need.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    mlewis
    mlewis  91476 forum posts United Kingdom
    16 Aug 2012 - 12:26 PM

I usually leave my Canon on Daylight white balance and adjust in Lightroom if I think an image needs the white balance to be something else.

tepot
    16 Aug 2012 - 10:25 PM

ok thats makes sense.....

thanks guys

Terry.

bluehouse
    bluehouse  2
    21 Aug 2012 - 8:14 AM

Yeh thats right.

lj090876
    lj090876 e2 Member 3lj090876 vcard United Kingdom
    21 Aug 2012 - 9:03 AM

I usually set it to what I am doing ie. flash, daylight, not got my head around custom white balance yet. If I can I take a test shot before I start the real shots with a piece of white paper and then use Lightroom to ajust the white balance. The only thing I find a problem using AWB is every shot can be different even if you are taking the same shot.

Jestertheclown
    21 Aug 2012 - 11:24 AM

Quote: The only thing I find a problem using AWB is every shot can be different even if you are taking the same shot.

That'll be the case whichever setting you choose to leave it on.
    Like probably everyone else, I've tried all the fiddling about with various settings between shots, or from one day to the next and I concluded long ago that, providing you've got Lightroom or something similar, then using AWB was just so much easier.
    The only time now, that I could be tempted to try some alternative settings would be if I was taking a specific shot. A portrait in a controlled environment, for example.

Dave_Canon
    25 Aug 2012 - 4:34 PM

Like many I normally leave my camera set to AWB and for most shots it gives a WB which is good or at least a good starting point. If the shoot is critical I take a shot of my Colour Checker Passport for one of the shots. By using the spot WB tool in LR I can select the calibrated panel and get the WB spot on. It is then a simple matter to select all of the other images in the shoot and "Synchonise settings" ensuring WB is ticked. The colour is still affected by the profile (or style) you use to render the image. This is particularly easy in LR but I think you can synchonise is ACR as well.

Dave

JJGEE
    JJGEE  96291 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Aug 2012 - 4:46 PM

Quote: Like many I normally leave my camera set to AWB

Unlike many I leave my camera set to 5500K.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.