Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

White balance correction in PS7 ?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    dalowsons
    dalowsons  1089 forum posts Australia
    5 Oct 2004 - 10:55 PM

I have just set up my own "studio" using halogen lights. The problem I am finding is that I get a very yellow colour cast to all my pictures - which I would expect from the lighting. I have tried various settings on my camera (Fuji Finepix S5000) but can't seem to get it quite right.

I am quite happy to change the colour cast in PS afterwards, but I am not sure how ! I have experimented a bit, but so far not too pleased with the results. I would be very grateful if someone could advise me how to go about getting the correct white balance in PS - what steps to take, settings, etc. ?

Thanks !

Al

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    5 Oct 2004 - 10:55 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

sillyconguru
    5 Oct 2004 - 10:57 PM

orly??

Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139450 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Oct 2004 - 12:27 AM

Surely all you need to do is use the Colour Cast eyedropper tool?

For me this is about the most useful tool in PS !

dalowsons
    6 Oct 2004 - 12:45 AM

Thanks, Sillyconguru, I will have a look and see what's out there.

Carabosse ... very possibly ! Only (and I'm a bit embarassed to admit this ...) I'd never heard of it before now. Care to give me a brief lesson !? Smile

Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139450 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Oct 2004 - 8:55 AM

Well in PSE2 (I imagine it is similar in PS7 etc) you click on Enhance -> Adjust Color -> Color Cast. Then use the "eyedropper" on any area of the image which should be white, grey or black.

I find white works best. You may need to experiment a bit, clicking on different areas of the pic, before you get a natural result result.

Usually takes just a few seconds.

There are various other ways of correcting colour casts but the above is about the simplest.

BOB S
    BOB S  122622 forum posts
    6 Oct 2004 - 9:37 AM

Why not fit a filter to your camera and save all the messing around in Photoshop - a pale blue is the required filter - I am no expert in filters for colour but I am sure somebody here will give us the correct filter details before too long.

BOB

Carabosse
    6 Oct 2004 - 9:39 AM

80A filter. You lose a couple of stops. I had one years ago but never used it - certainly couldn't be bothered now, with digi.

dalowsons
    6 Oct 2004 - 10:10 AM

Thanks so much for your advice, CB and Bob. Bob, seeing as I do a fair bit of "enhancement" in PS anyway, I don't think I will get a filter. Saving my filter shopping for ND filters, etc., anyway ! Smile

CB, I don't think there is that option in PS7 (that I could find) but what you said did give me an idea and I've found a great tutorial on the net which has solved my problem !

So thanks all round and I am much happier with my results now ! Smile

Al

geoffash26
    geoffash26  102506 forum posts United Kingdom
    6 Oct 2004 - 10:17 AM

Al please post that link I would be intersted
    Thanks
    Geoff

BOB S
    BOB S  122622 forum posts
    6 Oct 2004 - 10:50 AM

If you shoot in RAW mode you will have a lot more scope for colour correction prior to enhancement.

BOB

Carabosse
    6 Oct 2004 - 10:59 AM

There is no difficulty correcting simple colour casts on JPEGs and not everyone wants to spend time doing all the other things you have to do on RAW to make it an acceptable pic.

freds
    freds  10184 forum posts England
    6 Oct 2004 - 11:13 AM

Why not just photograph a white background to set you white balance.

Fred.

dalowsons
    6 Oct 2004 - 5:18 PM

Geoff, here is the link I found useful:

Tutorial

Thanks for the other ideas - I am going to try the white background thing, read about that yesterday too. I have tried taking photos in RAW just as an experiment, but had the same problem of where to start with the correction ?

Might try again now that I have a bit of a better idea.

Thanks again for all your help and advice.

Al

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.