Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

white box/

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    ala_fred
    ala_fred  1062 forum posts United Kingdom
    17 Jan 2013 - 8:40 AM

I am trying to take photos of white bone china , cutlery, glassware and other small catering objects, using a white box/dome. I am using a white back ground but seem to be having problems with exposure and contrast any tits would be helpful

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    17 Jan 2013 - 8:40 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

rogerfry
    rogerfry e2 Member 8509 forum postsrogerfry vcard United Kingdom
    17 Jan 2013 - 8:48 AM

You might need to re-phrase that !

pulsar69
    pulsar69  101611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Jan 2013 - 8:50 AM

I use a black background or red green or blue would imagine white is going to cause you problems ! and i am not sure that tits will be help though they would be a useful addition.

brian1208
    brian1208 e2 Member 1110266 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Jan 2013 - 9:34 AM

If you absolutely have to have a white background my only thought would be to expose for the background as the objects you are photographing are likely to be at a lower exposure.

If possible make your lighting directional as well, maybe having one light from behind, further brightening the background and back-lighting the subject.

When I photograph my wifes painted white china I always use a contrasting colour background if possible but on the few times she's insisted on a white background and I've had to shoot using my light tent my lighting has been as above

puertouk
    puertouk  21072 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Jan 2013 - 10:40 AM

I would use a black background so your subject stands out. I would also suggest using a light meter. I have a Sekonic. Hope this is helpful.
    Stephen

KONIN
    KONIN e2 Member 3252 forum postsKONIN vcard England
    17 Jan 2013 - 11:20 AM

theres four leters between t and p !!!! good typo though
    stu

Sooty_1
    Sooty_1 Critique Team 41207 forum posts United Kingdom198 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Jan 2013 - 11:29 AM

I think you might need a p....

Instead of the second t!

But I would suggest a black or dark grey background too, then you can afford to light the subject a little more.

Nick

JackAllTog
    JackAllTog e2 Member 53617 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Jan 2013 - 1:01 PM

Ideally at least two lights required - the greater to rule the background and keep it white. The lesser to light the item. (Of course some of the reflected light from the background may be enough to light the item).

You need to expose the plate correctly and have the background over exposed to keep it white.
    But the plate is probally mostly white to will tend to under expose too.
    So lean a grey card up against the plate and take a exposure reading - lock/set this exposure, remove the card and take the picture.

All may be good, but you may yet adjust exposure up/down a bit if you wish.

Now if contrast is an issue then maybe too much light is coming off the backdrop and overpowering the scene. So reduce the proportion of the backdrop light in the scene - the simplest way is to move it further away.

arhb
    arhb e2 Member 72268 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom68 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Jan 2013 - 1:19 PM

It is because you're using a white dome/box, that you are having the problems with exposure and contrast - these box/dome units are made to soften shadows and contrast.
    I would experiment shooting against a coloured or black base/background, and forget the box/dome for this particular project.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.