Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Whites are to bright

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    LisaRose
    LisaRose  7172 forum posts United States4 Constructive Critique Points
    30 May 2007 - 9:57 PM

Is there a filter or something that can be used so that whites don't get blown out? Now that I am taking shots outdoors so much, this is becoming a real problem. I am using the light meter on my camera, but still having problems.

Thanks,
    Lisa

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    30 May 2007 - 9:57 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

leeg
    leeg  11165 forum posts
    30 May 2007 - 10:05 PM

Expose for your whites on your histogram and use fill-flash to lift the shadows??

That's what I'd do, but I'm sure there'll be some far more expert advice to follow ;o)

You could always look at the sunny f16 rule on the internet...may help a bit too.

Cheers

AnthonyM
    AnthonyM  9388 forum posts United States2 Constructive Critique Points
    30 May 2007 - 10:05 PM

ND (neutral density) filters. Basically filters that block some of the light in a method that does not otherwise significantly alter the color of the image.
    They come in varying strengths to block more or less light.

NDGrads or split NDs are good for landscapes where the upper (or lower) portion may need a different level of darkening.

Simon_Palmer
    30 May 2007 - 10:08 PM

I don't profess to be pro here but...

Expose properly, if using a Canon for instance, take a shot look, for the blinkies on preview then if need be wind down the exposure 1 or 2 stops (or thirds there of) Push shutter button half way, then wind big dial left to decrease exposure, right to increase - Sorry no experience how to do this on Nikon and the likes.

Bear in mind also that a SLR will only realistically take in about 6 or so stops of light at a time so massive contrast differences etc. require careful planning or multiple exposures.

You can indeed get filters tho, grads whether they be soft or hard, check out Lee filters for more info.

Hope this makes sense, im too drunk to read it back to myself now, not sure I understand any of it myself Smile but I tried.

Simon

miptog
    miptog  83532 forum posts United Kingdom61 Constructive Critique Points
    30 May 2007 - 10:22 PM

What type of shots and situations give you blown highlights (whites)? Depending on the circumstance a different approach can be used. In very general terms:
    - Use spot metering, or centre weighted
    - Use -1/3 or -2/3 exposure compenstaion as a default
    - Shoot RAW (if poss)
    - Use ND filters

Mike

cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    30 May 2007 - 10:40 PM

Another old fashioned way might help, Point camera at the whiter areas of your composition, Half press shutter to lock exposure, Recompose your shot still holding the shutter button halfway, Then take the shot.

If your camera has exposure lock, Same again expose for the whites, Lock the exposure, Recompose and take the shot.

The above can be used with all exposure modes, But dependant on how bright things are you could also use as mentioned by Mike, Spot & Centre weighted, along with exposure lock.

If all else fails try not to shoot in very bright sunlight, ie When it's Overhead or between 12 noon and 3 pm, ALSO where possible move your subjects into a shaded area,, Smile

Krakman
    Krakman  73615 forum posts Scotland
    30 May 2007 - 10:47 PM

Check the histrogram when you take a pic to see if there is a pile up at the extreme right of it - a sure sign of burnt out whites. Just apply a little "minus" exposure compensation if you find that your whites are too white.

Last Modified By Krakman at 30 May 2007 - 10:48 PM
    cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    30 May 2007 - 11:01 PM

Quote: your whites are too white.

Now why does that sound like a soap powder advert Smile Sorry could not resist Smile

Krakman
    Krakman  73615 forum posts Scotland
    30 May 2007 - 11:03 PM

As it happens I was dreaming of Persil Automatic (as one does) when I typed it! Smile

Last Modified By Krakman at 30 May 2007 - 11:05 PM
    LisaRose
    LisaRose  7172 forum posts United States4 Constructive Critique Points
    31 May 2007 - 12:06 AM

Thank you everyone, I appreciate your input.

Great ideas~

Lisa

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.