Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Who is the best stock library for quality images

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
goexplorephotography

Just wondered is there a stock library that's better for travel and landscape images.
I have looked on a few stock library sites and have been dissappointed by the amount of poor images. The technical quality might be there but some of the images are dreadful, as a professional photographer I am always aware that people judge my ability by my photographs, which is how it should be.
I am therefore very judgemental about my own images, and expect others to be the same.
for me no images are a million times better than poor ones.
However a lot of the images I have seen online have been so poor I wouldn't have pressed the shutter button never mind showing them to the world. If I was a client looking for an image and I went on some of these sites I wouldn't want to waste my time looking through a dung heap just to find one good shot. I would want to go to a stock libary that only stocks high quality images. I don't want to sound like I am boasting or i believe i am the greatest photographer of all time, but i have spent a long time developing my skills and ability and have become protective of my reputation. So is there a stock agency for high quality images for the travel / landscape market.
I suppose if i did upload them to a crappy library then my images would stand out and id get more sales. But you are judged by the company you keep. Sorry if this sounds a bit snobby. i don't mean to be.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
20 Jan 2012 - 5:23 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
20 Jan 2012 - 7:45 PM

So many people seem to appear to think that being a contributing member of a mainstream Picture Agency is a panacea to a good income.

Just take the piccy(s) - upload it/them - and sit back and wait for the money rolls in.

**sigh **

And - Oh! Sooooooooooooooooooo wrong.

You will gain a far better income from getting a copy of 'The Writers and Artists Yearbook', read, inwardly ingest and submit what the Picture Editors are looking for.

Smile

mattw
mattw  105189 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
20 Jan 2012 - 7:51 PM

Hang on there Mike, it's a resonable question - Which image librarys Are best for travel/landscape photographs?

For me, some poor quality images might not reflect well on the image libuary, but for me the critical thing is which ones have the best/most active clients?

User_Removed
20 Jan 2012 - 8:09 PM

Quote: Hang on there Mike, it's a resonable question

Agreed Matt.

But the number of Library's that are 'failing' clients are increasing - there are numerous Forum posts on the subject here on EPZ - let alone other places but... what I am saying (possibly in a bad way - and I apologise if that is the case) is that one can get a faster - and greater return (no 'middle-man') by going to the publisher direct.

Smile

goexplorephotography

I already supply a number of clients with images and get commissioned work, however I have a large collection of images that are sitting on my hardrive so thought I'd put them out for sale. When I go to a location not all images are used by clients and so the ones I have left could be sold through an agency. It's just which one is best.

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114508 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
20 Jan 2012 - 8:52 PM

I have thought a personal website with lo-res images and watermarks and an option to buy full size hi-res/files/prints by Paypal payment would/might be worth thinking about. Foliopic I think allows you to do this, if not plenty of other portfolio hosting sites do. At least this way you could have some control over your current stock and it gives you an opportunity to sell yourself. That's of course if you haven't already done so.....Just an idea.

Ade

Last Modified By Ade_Osman at 20 Jan 2012 - 8:57 PM
Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114508 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
20 Jan 2012 - 8:55 PM

GrinGrinGrinGrin

I'll shut up after just looking at your website, although I did notice there is no option to buy prints or files.....

Ade

goexplorephotography

Already have website, but I don't want to spend any more time printing and mounting.

goexplorephotography

I print and mount for a number of shops and galleries and would rather spend my time taking photographs. Also I couldn't run a reliable service when I'm travelling.

Ade_Osman
20 Jan 2012 - 9:00 PM

You could still sell the files thru the site......Short of this it's the usual Alamy/PhotographersDirect type sites or a specialized service which normally wants money.....

Ade

Last Modified By Ade_Osman at 20 Jan 2012 - 9:01 PM
User_Removed
20 Jan 2012 - 10:22 PM

Quote: Short of this it's the usual Alamy/PhotographersDirect type sites or a specialized service which normally wants money.....

Hence my comment/reference to taking your sales 'in-house' by getting the current copy of 'The Writers and Artists Yearbook' - as a start.

(I've had more front covers this way...)

Wink

Last Modified By User_Removed at 20 Jan 2012 - 10:23 PM
ianrobinson
ianrobinson e2 Member 41107 forum postsianrobinson vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
21 Jan 2012 - 8:54 AM

What your say there with the middle man is a similar story i just put on about sneaky tactics from local paper companies, makes for a very interesting read and why you should not just willy nilly put your images anywhere.

here's the link

http://www.ephotozine.com/forums/topic/photographers-jobs-at-risk-with-sneaky-id...

Make up your own minds and see what you think.

GlennH
GlennH  91918 forum posts France1 Constructive Critique Points
21 Jan 2012 - 9:36 AM

Libraries are fine—the better ones anyway, providing you have an existing body of high quality work to invest. T'was always thus, even in the days of submitting transparencies.

Alamy is a library that doesn't edit for content, which is something that never used to exist in any library, so you'll see photos on there that you may consider inferior. Despite that, you'll also be in the company of many of the world's best photographers. Some of them are just canny - they'll sell their Tesco interior more times than you will a landscape.

Usually the advantage that professionals have over amateurs is not so much that they are better, which may or may not be the case, but that they often have access to lesser-shot subjects.

Look at photo credits in books and mags if you want to know who sells.

Last Modified By GlennH at 21 Jan 2012 - 9:40 AM
goexplorephotography

Quote: Usually the advantage that professionals have over amateurs is not so much that they are better, which may or may not be the case, but that they often have access to lesser-shot subjects.

Look at photo credits in books and mags if you want to know who sells.

I quite agree. when it comes to amateurs v pros there is little difference in image quality as regards landscapes. The only difference i have ever found is
Amateurs always ask what camera & lenses am i using, & Pros ask, Are you busy and then "wheres the best pub around here".

Back to stock images. I don't really have anymore time to look for clients and organising prints. If i can find a good stock agency to sell them through without any hassle i thought it might be something to consider. Its never been something i have looked into before and thought i would see if anyone has had some experience. A good recommendation means a lot.

User_Removed
21 Jan 2012 - 5:22 PM

Look at the Picture Library bylines on the images that are used by the publications that you hope will use your photographs. Then use those libraries.

A quick look at one publication, showed that Getty Images seemed to be well used, with a couple from Alamy and some from AP.

That's not to say that those sites have the best quality images but it does suggest that they are the ones that editors go to when looking for photographs.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.