Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Who's got a 10-22?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

KingBee
KingBee e2 Member 8333 forum postsKingBee vcard Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
10 Mar 2014 - 9:01 AM

Toying with idea - just toying, mind you: not entirely convinced yet - of changing my 17-40L for a 10-22 EF-S. I want something wider for landscapes. Reviews of the latter are impressive and compare favourably with the former. (I'm also toying with the idea of getting an Oly 9-18 for my Panasonic G3, but can't decide between the two - I certainly can't afford both!)

However, I'm intrigued by something I've read: is it true that the front element of the 10-22 physically moves back and forward when zooming (as in, you can actually see this movement, as opposed to the movement being INSIDE the lens)? I know the 10-22 isn't weather-sealed but I've never seen that in any zoom lens, and just can't get my head around the notion of it. Even with a filter attached, wouldn't such movement make the 10-22 a real dust magnet?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
10 Mar 2014 - 9:01 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

KingBee
KingBee e2 Member 8333 forum postsKingBee vcard Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
10 Mar 2014 - 9:53 AM

Stop Press - er, silly me, I've just noticed that the front element on my 17-40 does exactly the same thing (ie, moves back and forward when zooming). Never noticed that before. 10/10 for observation ........

pink
pink  111720 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
10 Mar 2014 - 10:00 AM

i have had both lenses. The 10-22 is a great Ultra Wide ANgle for a crop sensor camera, I used it on a 40D and got some great images, it does have a few niggles though;
Plastic construction, it wont take the knocks
Plastic Filter thread, mine wore out and I ended up leaving my Lee filter adapror ring on it permanently
Chroma noise, particularly bad in the edges and in high contrast, easily corrected RAW file in post though
Weather sealing is non-existant, you have to bag it in the slightest drizzle

Having said all that it does give exceptional images, some say it is on a par with L glass?
The 17-40 is also a good lens but lacks the ability to get you wide enough on a crop sensor, build is much better, contrast is better and chroma is better controlled.
I can recommend both lenses, the 10-22 for crop sensors and the 17-40 for full frame.
Ian

Dave_Canon
10 Mar 2014 - 10:01 AM

I have owned the Canon 10-22mm lens since 2005 and use it on a Canon EOS 20D. I had the 20D modified for Infrared a few years ago when I bought a 5D Mk ii. I cannot use the 10-22mm on the 5D as the 10-22 mm is an EF-S lens but still use it on the 20D. It is true that the front element moves backwards and forwards when zooming. However, I do not believe that this makes it a serious dust problem. The 20D had to be cleaned every 3-6 months when it was my main camera but then I changed lenses very frequently.

The performance of the 10-22mm is excellent and was my favourite lens when I used the 20D as my main camera. I have found that some lenses have poor performance for Infrared but the 10-22mm is excellent for infrared as well.

Dave

KingBee
10 Mar 2014 - 10:47 AM

Thanks all. I should have said that if I do go for the 10-22 I'll be using it either on my new 100D or my 40D. The 17-40 works fine on both - take it the 10-22 will do likewise.

MalcolmS
MalcolmS e2 Member 91080 forum postsMalcolmS vcard England13 Constructive Critique Points
10 Mar 2014 - 4:54 PM

Go for a Sigma 10-20mm instead. Used one for years on both a 20D and 40D, cracking lens, couldn't fault it and better value than the Canon. You'll find more support for the Sigma on here than the Canon I would suspect.

Last Modified By MalcolmS at 10 Mar 2014 - 4:56 PM
colin beeley
colin beeley e2 Member 111072 forum postscolin beeley vcard England10 Constructive Critique Points
10 Mar 2014 - 5:22 PM

i used to own the canon 10-22 sorry i had to sell it :-( don't buy stigma stick with canon !

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1023181 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
10 Mar 2014 - 6:00 PM

Assuming the OP meant the 10-20, then in terms of bang for bucks, the Canon just doesn't cut it.....the Tokina 11-16mm does however and is considered by many to the best of the super wide EFS lenses.

Let's face it...Canon have always struggled with wide angle lenses, which means if you have the cash, I'd actually buy a Nikon.

Paintman
Paintman e2 Member 8869 forum postsPaintman vcard United Kingdom173 Constructive Critique Points
10 Mar 2014 - 6:55 PM

Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-f/5.6

This is supposed to be a very good lens and wider than the Canon. It does have a bulb-like front element so filters may be a problem. I think a couple of manufacturers of filters ( namely Lee ) do make a system that can cover lenses such as the Nikon 14-24mm f2.8 and the Samyang 14mm f2.8.

Samyang make a manual focus 8mm lens and a 14mm lens. I've seen reviews praising both these lenses, but also one or two that slate them. As always it's down to getting a good copy of the lens you want.

Samyang 14mm f2.8

You could get the Nikon 14-24mm f2.8 and use an adapter for your Canon. That's one I'm thinking aboutSmile

Btw, I've had the Sigma 10-20mm and I've got the Canon 10-22mm lens and they are both very good. There are, of course, downsides to both lenses. Both aren't sharp enough in the corners and the Canon exhibits some quite hefty CA in the corners. I've found the post-processing lens correction tools don't get rid of all of the CA, so I have to sort it out manually for more critical image quality.

Last Modified By Paintman at 10 Mar 2014 - 7:02 PM
colin beeley
colin beeley e2 Member 111072 forum postscolin beeley vcard England10 Constructive Critique Points
10 Mar 2014 - 8:15 PM

i have been looking and it seems this is the best i would still get the canon though.

KingBee
11 Mar 2014 - 9:29 AM

Thanks again. Jeez, the choice is greater than I thought! The Tokina does look nice, and it comes with a lenshood. An interesting possibility. So, plenty to think about.

Any other words of wisdom from anyone else, please feel free to contribute further.

TheSweetcornKid

Newbie Question Alert!!

Would the 10-22 be any use on a 7D???

saltireblue
saltireblue Site Moderator 44031 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway26 Constructive Critique Points
11 Mar 2014 - 1:47 PM

Quote: Newbie Question Alert!!

Would the 10-22 be any use on a 7D???

The Canon 10-22 goes excellently with the 7D...I had that combo a while back. Very good results.

KingBee
11 Mar 2014 - 2:11 PM

I've checked out the Tokina 11-16 and it does get very good reviews. However, I'm not sure if I want always to be shooting within such a narrow zoom range (although some say because of this the lens delivers results close to what one might expect from a prime). Does anyone have any views on the Tokina 12-24, which I believe also comes highly rated?

I haven't abandoned the possible acquisition of the Canon 10-22 by any means, but it's interesting to get views on what would make a good, if not better, alternative in roughly the same price range.

Dave_Canon
11 Mar 2014 - 3:12 PM

When I bought my 5D2 and could not use the Canon 10-22mm (not suitable for full frame) so I bought a Sigma 12-24mm which was highly recommended by several club members. I have used it for 3 years now and it is a good lens but not as good as the Canon 10-22mm in my view and it is almost unusable for Infrared. It is still well worth considering if your not planning to convert to IR. It is also worth considering whether you might move to a full frame in the future.

Dave

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.