Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Who's work on EPZ has influenced you the most?

ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
28 Jul 2008 12:49PM
OK "Copied" may be a bad word here, but I though "Tried to emmulate" wasn't as catchy. "Been inspired by" was a bit wooly...

So basically, it's a thread about naming, and indeed giving credit to, any EPZ members who's work (or style) you've looked at and gone out to try to re-create.

Thought it'd be interesting to see where people are coming from creatively. I'm sure we could almost end up with an EPZ family tree if we wanted Smile

Please keep the list to just EPZ members as we know them Smile

me...

Quote:
Keith Henson (landscape and blue channel portraits)
Andy Dippy (landscape)
Paul Stefan (HDR architecture)
Dave Hirst (night shooting)

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
28 Jul 2008 12:51PM
Nobody and it shows Smile
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
28 Jul 2008 12:53PM
Nobody...
Sad
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
28 Jul 2008 12:53PM
...not even when starting out Paul?

I've not copied anyone for a couple of years, but used to try like mad to get shots like Keith's and Andy's
pepperst e2
7 2.3k 4 Wales
28 Jul 2008 12:57PM
Not a landscaper so no need to copy anyone Wink

As for shout outs to helpful persons on a technical basis I must say thanks to Sam and Musicmate (steve), less of a style copy as opposed to a this is how to get the best shots to get noticed and published.
28 Jul 2008 12:58PM
Im inspired by so many people that i couldnt even begin to list them.
I have copied people but not kept the photos, ive shown them to my hubby then deleted them.I would feel wrong keeping any photos ive blatantly copied. I copy them to try to improve myself.I find this a good way to grasp things i cant process in my head by reading.
Fishnet e2
10 5.0k 5 United Kingdom
28 Jul 2008 1:01PM
I've tried to do layering etc like Arwensgrace but I haven't a clue what I'm doing, but I'd love to create something similar one day.
rowarrior e2
7 4.4k 9 Scotland
28 Jul 2008 1:02PM
Pretty much every landscape photographer on here taking better pictures than me lol
mark2uk e2
8 739 8 England
28 Jul 2008 1:10PM
Almost everyone on this site inspires me, but I don't go out to deliberatly emmulate any particular style.
It probably shows Smile
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
28 Jul 2008 1:14PM
Hmmm - looks like the word "copied" has given the wrong direction to the thread.

I guess "copied" does infer duplicating an image - a bit like repeating someone's words verbatim.

I'm more interested in who people have seen a style they like, and tried to apply that style in their own photography.

I guess no one is going to want to say that they blatently "copy" anyone are they...

Ah well
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
28 Jul 2008 1:20PM
Epz has not really been around that long so most of what I`ve seen here, I`ve seen elsewhere going back years.

For a while in the Eighties I was very interested in the work of Snowdon and Bailey. Was never much into photo mags, preferring woman’s fashion mags like Elle for inspiration, I must have looked a little odd on the commute into work Smile

For a period in the nineties I loved the work of Eddie Ephraums and tried to replicate some of his work from his book Gradient light.

Just recently an article in the mag Photoicon on the Photographer and ex Police member Andy Summers, inspired me to get out at night doing a bit of street photography and was fore ever being stopped and questioned, I did look a little odd, no tripod or bag just a body and lens Smile
28 Jul 2008 1:21PM
I'm with you Ade on being inspired by Keith and Andy on my landscapes.

I've tried to adapt what they do into what i do, it's not happening as yet but out of it i've got my own style.

Not the best i know, but certainly not the worst.

jk
digicammad e2
11 22.0k 37 United Kingdom
28 Jul 2008 1:22PM
Not so sure about seeing a style I like and trying to emulate it, but the people who have improved my landscape photography most, both by direct advice and just watching how they work the light, are KeithH and Andytvcams.

For studio work Ade Crook is the obvious choice, mainly because his is the only studio in which I have done any work but also because he is so free with his advice.

Ian
Morpyre e2
10 1.6k 8 Wales
28 Jul 2008 2:32PM
i prefer to stick rigidly to being original in my creative approach but on the rare occasions i am inspired by something someone else does i study how they did it and then do my own version rather than copy exactly what they do. it would kill me if i copied someone else and immediately got the "oh! you like such and such photographer!". i have my own style that i have shaped and moulded over a long time and only want my images to be recognised in galleries as being a morpyre/peter c turner and nothing else.

if you want to learn how someone else does something - it's simple - ask them how.
i have been asked before how i do something and i've happily created a tutorial webpage or pdf file with a step by step guide - though naturally i don't give away all my secrets - like a magician will explain how they do a trick but not all their tricks - you have to keep some mystery Grin

peter "morpyre" turner
Nick_w e2
7 4.1k 99 England
28 Jul 2008 2:47PM
This isn't related to all the "Snap" links is it Ade ?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.