Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Who's work on EPZ has influenced you the most?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014842 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jul 2008 - 12:49 PM

OK "Copied" may be a bad word here, but I though "Tried to emmulate" wasn't as catchy. "Been inspired by" was a bit wooly...

So basically, it's a thread about naming, and indeed giving credit to, any EPZ members who's work (or style) you've looked at and gone out to try to re-create.

Thought it'd be interesting to see where people are coming from creatively. I'm sure we could almost end up with an EPZ family tree if we wanted Smile

Please keep the list to just EPZ members as we know them Smile

me...

Quote:
Keith Henson (landscape and blue channel portraits)
Andy Dippy (landscape)
Paul Stefan (HDR architecture)
Dave Hirst (night shooting)

Last Modified By ade_mcfade at 28 Jul 2008 - 12:49 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
28 Jul 2008 - 12:49 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315617 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jul 2008 - 12:51 PM

Nobody and it shows Smile

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jul 2008 - 12:53 PM

Nobody...
Sad

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014842 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jul 2008 - 12:53 PM

...not even when starting out Paul?

I've not copied anyone for a couple of years, but used to try like mad to get shots like Keith's and Andy's

pepperst
pepperst  72328 forum posts Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jul 2008 - 12:57 PM

Not a landscaper so no need to copy anyone Wink

As for shout outs to helpful persons on a technical basis I must say thanks to Sam and Musicmate (steve), less of a style copy as opposed to a this is how to get the best shots to get noticed and published.

Last Modified By pepperst at 28 Jul 2008 - 1:00 PM
Michelle_S
28 Jul 2008 - 12:58 PM

Im inspired by so many people that i couldnt even begin to list them.
I have copied people but not kept the photos, ive shown them to my hubby then deleted them.I would feel wrong keeping any photos ive blatantly copied. I copy them to try to improve myself.I find this a good way to grasp things i cant process in my head by reading.

Fishnet
Fishnet  104976 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jul 2008 - 1:01 PM

I've tried to do layering etc like Arwensgrace but I haven't a clue what I'm doing, but I'd love to create something similar one day.

rowarrior
rowarrior  64350 forum posts Scotland9 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jul 2008 - 1:02 PM

Pretty much every landscape photographer on here taking better pictures than me lol

mark2uk
mark2uk  8739 forum posts England8 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jul 2008 - 1:10 PM

Almost everyone on this site inspires me, but I don't go out to deliberatly emmulate any particular style.
It probably shows Smile

ade_mcfade
28 Jul 2008 - 1:14 PM

Hmmm - looks like the word "copied" has given the wrong direction to the thread.

I guess "copied" does infer duplicating an image - a bit like repeating someone's words verbatim.

I'm more interested in who people have seen a style they like, and tried to apply that style in their own photography.

I guess no one is going to want to say that they blatently "copy" anyone are they...

Ah well

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315617 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jul 2008 - 1:20 PM

Epz has not really been around that long so most of what I`ve seen here, I`ve seen elsewhere going back years.

For a while in the Eighties I was very interested in the work of Snowdon and Bailey. Was never much into photo mags, preferring woman’s fashion mags like Elle for inspiration, I must have looked a little odd on the commute into work Smile

For a period in the nineties I loved the work of Eddie Ephraums and tried to replicate some of his work from his book Gradient light.

Just recently an article in the mag Photoicon on the Photographer and ex Police member Andy Summers, inspired me to get out at night doing a bit of street photography and was fore ever being stopped and questioned, I did look a little odd, no tripod or bag just a body and lens Smile

jken
jken  81672 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jul 2008 - 1:21 PM

I'm with you Ade on being inspired by Keith and Andy on my landscapes.

I've tried to adapt what they do into what i do, it's not happening as yet but out of it i've got my own style.

Not the best i know, but certainly not the worst.

jk

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jul 2008 - 1:22 PM

Not so sure about seeing a style I like and trying to emulate it, but the people who have improved my landscape photography most, both by direct advice and just watching how they work the light, are KeithH and Andytvcams.

For studio work Ade Crook is the obvious choice, mainly because his is the only studio in which I have done any work but also because he is so free with his advice.

Ian

Morpyre
Morpyre e2 Member 91622 forum postsMorpyre vcard Wales8 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jul 2008 - 2:32 PM

i prefer to stick rigidly to being original in my creative approach but on the rare occasions i am inspired by something someone else does i study how they did it and then do my own version rather than copy exactly what they do. it would kill me if i copied someone else and immediately got the "oh! you like such and such photographer!". i have my own style that i have shaped and moulded over a long time and only want my images to be recognised in galleries as being a morpyre/peter c turner and nothing else.

if you want to learn how someone else does something - it's simple - ask them how.
i have been asked before how i do something and i've happily created a tutorial webpage or pdf file with a step by step guide - though naturally i don't give away all my secrets - like a magician will explain how they do a trick but not all their tricks - you have to keep some mystery Grin

peter "morpyre" turner

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73903 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jul 2008 - 2:47 PM

This isn't related to all the "Snap" links is it Ade ?

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.