Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Who uses a Canon 100-400 VR Lens?

MikeRC e2
9 3.5k United Kingdom
30 Aug 2012 10:54AM
Hi who uses a Canon 100-400 lens to shoot wildlife ?

I desperately need more reach in my search for decent bird shots and this lens plus a Canon SLR may fit the bill.

....anyone any views ? ....thanks....Mike

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

30 Aug 2012 11:41AM
Hi Mike
I use the Canon 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L and find it a marvelous lens. It's zoom makes it great for telephoto landscapes and wildlife. Take a look at my Red Kite images in my pf, all taken with this lens. Here's an example Red Kite shot with 100-400L . Here's a landscape with this lens: 100-400L landscape . The push pull, trombone zoom mechanism has worked like a dream on mine for the past 4 yrs and I wouldn't part with this lens. On the other hand, although I have no experience of the 400F5.6L prime it is, apparently, much quicker locking on with auto focus in AI Servo mode. This might be crucial if you are looking to shoot smaller birds. HTH.
Alun
MikeRC e2
9 3.5k United Kingdom
30 Aug 2012 11:55AM
Hi Alun.....thanks for that...If I could get shots like those I'd be more than happy.
...I've never done any landscapes but again...if I could get that quality !

...I'm looking to visit Hagley BoP centre next week so if I decide to buy I need to order it tomorrow.

I'm not interested in a prime even though they're faster.

many thanks....Mike
User_Removed 12 2.8k 11 United Kingdom
30 Aug 2012 12:46PM
My 100-400 L IS is on ebay at this very moment. Auction ends 20.30 hrs (That's half 8 to those who have never fought for queen and country!) Smile

I find it a little soft at the top end so upgrading to a 300 f4 prime. Have a look Mike. Pin sharp images!
30 Aug 2012 1:03PM
theres one on here for 850 in classifieds
MikeRC e2
9 3.5k United Kingdom
30 Aug 2012 1:08PM
Cheers Gerry...It's also on EPZ classifieds....I sent you an enquiry at the begining of the week.
.....Mike
MikeRC e2
9 3.5k United Kingdom
30 Aug 2012 1:10PM
cheers Rob....that's the one I enquired about.
User_Removed 12 2.8k 11 United Kingdom
30 Aug 2012 1:11PM
I do remember. Wink
sherlob e2
8 2.4k 126 United Kingdom
30 Aug 2012 3:49PM
In my experience you get good and bad examples of this lens - a disappointing fact for a L series lens. Although I do like my version I have found it somewhat problematic in terms of build quality. The push pull feature is to be frank a pain - fully extended it leaves the lens vulnerable to knocks which can easily misalign the mechanism - mine cost 380 to repair. Since I have also had problems with the locking mechanism - now it simply does not work.

It is a lens that can produce some fabulous results, but don't be fooled to thinking their is no learning curve to climb in order to get the best from it - you need to be prepared to experiment. Also, be cautious not over estimate the degree of compensation the IS provides.

Finally, this is now an old lens and there have been rumours for some time about a possible replacement. If had the chance to buy again I'd go for a 70-200 IS L with a couple of converters for when I need the extra reach.

Regards,

Adam
30 Aug 2012 3:49PM
Hi Mike I use the 100-400 most of the time. I find it a great lens, but do feel that it lacks a bit wide open, though. Close it down a stop and its pin sharp. Despite it being a push pull zoom I have not found any problems with it sucking in dust even when travelling open vehicles. I think its short comings (and no piece of kit is perfect) are far outweighed by its good points. Here is a shot with the 100-400
lawbert e2
7 1.8k 15 England
30 Aug 2012 4:15PM
To throw another into the mix the 400mm f5.6L is a far sharper lens wide open and when you take into account you have to stop down the 100-400 to make it sharp it totally counteracts the Image Stabiliser on then 100-400mm
As Mr sherlob has said its a very old lens and may have already been replaced by the 70-300 f5.6 L IS which is a beauty....But lacks the reach for birds.
Theres plenty of pics in my PF taken with the 400mm 5.6 L and Im happy to send you unedited images if you want Mike.
Kerso on ebay or his store flash camera has them far cheaper than most with warranty.
A word of warning though....you will need a body with the af adjust feature as they are soft until calibrated....may be the same with the 100-400 though?
30 Aug 2012 4:33PM
How good is the sigma 150-500? That would be a better range.
MikeRC e2
9 3.5k United Kingdom
30 Aug 2012 4:33PM
Thanks Adam...thanks wildworlds...if I needed tempting wildworlds your wildlife shots'd do it Smile
...pity it takes more than a good lens.

What's worrying me now is supporting the lens, might be a bit heavy to hang from the camera.
I would have liked a couple of strap hangers on the lens for support when hand holding, I'm thinking that utilizing the tripod mount may be a bit Heath Robinson.
.....never sleep tonight Smile ....thanks again guys ...Mike
sherlob e2
8 2.4k 126 United Kingdom
30 Aug 2012 4:56PM
Mike this is NOT a comfortable lens to have around your neck all day - and of course the more it is extended the heavier it feels (the centrifugal force created by the pendulum effect creates a greater sense of pressure on your neck).
MikeRC e2
9 3.5k United Kingdom
30 Aug 2012 5:02PM
Thanks Paul....I don't want a prime lens...much happier with a zoom.

Quote:you will need a body with the af adjust feature as they are soft until calibrated....may be the same with the 100-400 though?

....will I be ok with the EOS 600D ?

cheers....Mike

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.