Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Why?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    mex
    mex e2 Member 6mex vcard United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
    22 May 2013 - 1:06 PM

Hi all, can anyone tell me why photographers in a studio point the camera to one side or above the model before taking the pic?, i just shoot at the model....Ok am a bit thick when it comes to studio work. BlushBlushBlush

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    22 May 2013 - 1:06 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

miptog
    miptog  83529 forum posts United Kingdom61 Constructive Critique Points
    22 May 2013 - 1:15 PM

This could be a "focus-recompose" technique.

saltireblue
    saltireblue Site Moderator 33363 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway22 Constructive Critique Points
    22 May 2013 - 1:18 PM

You see them doing it a lot at press conferences and the like as well. My thought was also focus/recompose.

Malc

Last Modified By saltireblue at 22 May 2013 - 1:19 PM
    mex
    22 May 2013 - 1:23 PM

Quote: This could be a "focus-recompose" technique.

Why focus away from the model an then back to the model? cheers for the help.

JackAllTog
    JackAllTog e2 Member 53469 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
    22 May 2013 - 1:39 PM

Hi Mex,

I said why too, this is one long write up of focus/recompose.

Is this what they were doing?

Gundog
    Gundog  1624 forum posts Scotland
    22 May 2013 - 1:43 PM

Bearing in mind that, compositionally, they will not want the model centred in the frame, they may be using a centre focus point to focus on the eyes and then holding that focus while moving the camera to the side to compose the shot.

mikehit
    mikehit e2 Member 45758 forum postsmikehit vcard United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    22 May 2013 - 1:50 PM

This begs the question...what do you mean by "point the camera to one side or above the model before taking the pic". Do you mean they point at the model, then divert the camera away so the model is off-centre? Or do you mean they point the camera to the side of the model as the first thing they do before focusing/shooting?
    In the former they are probably focus/recomposing as said above. In the latter case, I don't know. However, some people recommend that if focussing is critical you should focus first on some distant object before focusing where you need it - if the camera is already focussed 'near-but-not-quite' AF mechanism may think it is good enough and not get it more accurate. I think this technique is a hangover from when AF systems were less reliable than they are now.

Last Modified By mikehit at 22 May 2013 - 1:51 PM
    lemmy
    lemmy  61672 forum posts United Kingdom
    22 May 2013 - 2:34 PM

As said, they are not focusing away from the model, they are focusing on the model using the centre spot, holding the focus there with a half press, then composing how they wish.

There are many ways to do the same thing but that is the way I used to do it with film and still do with digital.

With the GH3, you can move the focus point around wherever you wish using a finger on the blank pivoting monitor while viewing and composing on the EVF. I use that way a lot now, very fast and certain but I'm not sure if any DSLRs can do it.

mex
    22 May 2013 - 4:30 PM

Thanks for replying gents, mike cheers m8 it was the latter case.
    thanks gents

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.