Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Why are my pans going wrong now??

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    MikeWh
    MikeWh  359 forum posts United Kingdom
    5 Nov 2012 - 8:09 AM

Hi...I have had some reasonable success stitching panaramas in the past, for some reason I'm getting lines & tone difference between each frame & can't really see where I'm going wrong now!! The images are batch processed in camera raw & stitched in CS5...I'm not sure wether or not to apply lens corrections, but either way seems make no difference....I know the light can change during shooting, but I just tried to process one that I have got right in the past....
    I have got light room but never use it...If anybody has good experience of stitching from raw, then your advice would be very welcome, even if it means learning to use lightroom.......Many thanks ....Mike

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    5 Nov 2012 - 8:09 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

sherlob
    sherlob e2 Member 82324 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom125 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Nov 2012 - 8:38 AM

How are you shooting your pans? E.g. are you manually setting the exposure to stop the exposure changing between exposures? Are you using a polariser at the time of exposure?

In my experience - tonal differences in Pan's are down to exposure problems and not post processing.

Adam

merseylass
    merseylass e2 Member 8merseylass vcard United Kingdom
    5 Nov 2012 - 8:39 AM

Also dont use auto white balance.
    Jane

sausage
    sausage  10241 forum posts United Kingdom
    5 Nov 2012 - 8:44 AM

Everything on your camera should be on manual.

Lightroom doesn't do stitching. But I do use LR to batch convert from raw.

MikeWh
    5 Nov 2012 - 8:51 AM

Hi & Thanks!!
    All images shot in manual
    White balance is always "cloudy"
    Exposure spot metered, then left alone..
    Focus is set auto & locked off..
    As I said I've just tried to re-run through an image I made a while back & it was fine first time.. It's a while since I've done this though & I'm kind of banging my head against the wall as to what i've changed..
    In cs5 I'm using the auto setting in automate & the blend images together, I'm sure thats how I've done it in the past, so I'm sure it's down to the raw processing.....Thanks again...Mike
    P.S I do use a polorizing filter often, & can see where your comming from with that question!!

Last Modified By MikeWh at 5 Nov 2012 - 8:54 AM
    Sooty_1
    Sooty_1 Critique Team 41207 forum posts United Kingdom198 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Nov 2012 - 9:06 AM

Elaborating on the above..... Take a meter reading from a representative area of the scene, or meter the brightest and darkest areas and take an average. Use this for every exposure in the panoramic. Set the camera to manual, and white balance to the conditions.. Ie sunny, cloudy etc, or manually set a colour temperature (around 5500 for normal sunlit day).
    If using raw, wb shouldn't matter, as you can adjust it in LR, but if it changes from frame to frame and you batch process, it will keep the differences unless you adjust individual frames to the same setting.
    Overlap frames by at least a quarter, more if using a wider lens, and consider using the camera in portrait mode for more height.

As far as using raw, I would suggest opening in raw converter, batch process if you want, then open as jpg in photoshop. Using manual, the pictures should blend satisfactorily, then when happy with the shape, flatten the image before globally processing the stitched panorama.

MikeWh
    5 Nov 2012 - 9:45 AM

Hi & thanks for taking the time to try & help...Most pans I've shot are as you sugest, in portrait...I have a lot of them shot & unprocessed from all over the UK...I know they are not the be all in photograph but I do like the effect of some of them espesially crazy looking skys etc...They were all shot the same way, & I've managed to stitch images comprizing of more than 70 frames without much trouble...I do feel this is a software thing & of course user error!!! Trouble is, when I first noticed a problem, I, using bridge, cleared all settings to camera raw defaults....I'm just wondering if, when I open a batch of images in camera raw, I should select all & start from "as shot" & see how it goes....I'll give that a go after work tonight & take it from there....Many many thanks for all your input on this, & I'll let you know how it goes.... It's definatly not the shooting, because it is turning out like this with images I',ve already had success with.............Thanks again....Mike

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.