Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Why are photographers always being cast as perverts in television dramas?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Just Jas
Just Jas  1225752 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
21 Jan 2005 - 3:35 AM

I was amused to see, in a recent tv drama, 'a private ****' using a nice new shiny 300D in a blatantly obvious way!

I guess that the producer had to make the point!

(And no rude remarks, you lot - as Madonna said, on one of her recordings, "that's an interesting name". LOL

jas

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
21 Jan 2005 - 3:35 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mdpontin
mdpontin  106016 forum posts Scotland
21 Jan 2005 - 3:47 AM

Yes, I agree. More often than not, if there's a crime thriller on television, if somebody shows up with a camera, or in a darkroom, it's a safe bet that even if they aren't the criminal, then there's something dubious about them.

I suspect many on here won't like this answer, but I'm afraid that to many "normal" people out there, photographers are in a similar category to computer "nerds", geeks, trainspotters, etc. :-s

Think about it. There you are, fumbling away with a camera which, to them, is probably absurdly over-sized and with far too many fiddly little controls and things, mumbling about f-stops, shutter speeds, depth of field (and who knows, maybe even "bokeh"!) and generally acting in an incomprehensible fashion. They'll probably be saying to themselves, "I could have taken a snap in a few seconds with my pocket camera and not had to go through all that hassle!" You're an eccentric (at best), or perhaps completely insane.

Either that, or they find you intimidating and have to try to cut you down to size - "Who do you think you are? David Bailey?"

TV drama simply takes these preconceptions and exaggerates them, so inevitably, amateur photographers are weirdos and should be treated with suspicion. Besides, in popular drama, the cliche rules supreme!

Doug

Just Jas
21 Jan 2005 - 4:53 AM

Many years ago, as a single young man, I always carried a camera with me, usually hung around my neck.

On one occasion I decided to go to the cinema, after work, instead of going straight home.

The film on show that evening turned out to be about a holiday camp photographer who seduced the young girls on the campsite!

Coming out, through the foyer, I passed a crowd of giggling young girls. I must admit I felt overly self-conscious as I passed them, with the camera hung around my neck.

Incidentally, I was a holiday camp photographer for a short while. It was good experience, but it did not live up to the film!!! No way!!!

jas

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139463 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
21 Jan 2005 - 4:56 AM

Crumbs, I didn't realise you were an ex-pro Jas!! Wink

Just Jas
21 Jan 2005 - 5:02 AM

Moonlighting, CB. It was an evening job! And tax paid!

c_evans99
c_evans99  117013 forum posts Wales1 Constructive Critique Points
21 Jan 2005 - 9:56 AM

It's just one of those stereotypes isn't it.. all journos are unshaven, hard drinking mavericks, all vicars are gay, all housewives lurk behind front doors waiting to pounce on the poor unsuspecting milkman and scoutmaster get a hard time all round.

Ceri

vfr400
vfr400  12886 forum posts
21 Jan 2005 - 12:11 PM

So Jas your an 'Emmerdale' fan then?

Ps in a recent episode of Casulty the photographer turned out to be the nice guy.

chris

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1023044 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
21 Jan 2005 - 12:19 PM

Off topic - so can anyone tell me why the photographer in Emmerdale, who, having got some great close ups from 100 yards on the 300D kit lens, decided to print them off in true journo B&W.

on topic - Man with big lens is very easy to portray as pervert. And studio photographers are always the ones trying it on with would be models. And fashion photographers always say 'Baby' or 'Darlin' after each shot.

Just Jas
21 Jan 2005 - 12:20 PM

Quote: So Jas your an 'Emmerdale' fan then?

No, but the wife is!!!!

Did anybody watch 'The Curious House Guest' whilst the site was down tonight?

The expensive house had the motto (if I remember it correctly) 'Quote Que Quote' (not sure about the spelling) above the entrance doorway.

Which apparently means, getting down to basics:

'To Hell with the cost'

I must remember this for when my wife gets back from Spain next week and sees my latest photographic purchase!

jas

c_evans99
21 Jan 2005 - 1:07 PM

Don't all fashion photographers have ponytails too?

SharpShooter
22 Jan 2005 - 3:09 AM

"Glamour" photographers with juvenile mentalities don't help...

trivets12
trivets12  101155 forum posts
22 Jan 2005 - 5:17 AM

I think photographers have an odd reputation is because a lot of portrait photography is of semi-naked women. I wouldn't mind but there's never any semi-naked men. Could we have more semi-naked men, particularly the gorgeous specimen in the 'Lacoste' advert who leaps out of bed and runs along the landing showing a very pert derriere - I have asked my husband to try and emulate this manoeuvre but all that happened was he tripped over the cat and nearly cracked his head on the bathroom door. Not quite the effect I was after . . . .
Regards
Trudy

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139463 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
22 Jan 2005 - 5:23 AM

Quote: c_evans99 -
It's just one of those stereotypes isn't it..

Spot on. Someone dressed in a business suit and tie and lurking in the bushes with a long lens wouldn't seem quite right!

c_evans99
22 Jan 2005 - 6:12 AM

We had a chap in school who's social skills were - shall we say - a little lacking... he was kicked out of the photography class because he was always asking girls to pose topless for him... a few years later I was taking a class in the local college (insolvency practice) and there was **** wearing a photographer's vest hanging round a group of girls... I said hello, and one of the women on the class asked if I knew him, I admitted that I did and she told me that he'd offerred to take nude pics of here... I saw him a few times after that - always in that horrid beige vest - and he sported a cracking black eye for a couple of weeks Smile

Today you all know him as... no, no as far as I know he's still toting that tired old MTL5 round Swansea Smile

Ceri

bluepixie
bluepixie  9
23 Jan 2005 - 6:57 PM

it's because whenever you hear about a model doing a nude photoshoot(yes i am talking about america'a next top model) all they talk about is how the old italian(they're always italian for some reason) photographer couldn't stop drooling over her. plus people can't help but imagine that the photographers keep some explicit shots for themselves. at least that's what i think.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.