Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Why Black & White?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Members Only

You must be logged in or registered to join a group
User_Removed
7 Aug 2010 - 9:58 AM

Quote: IMHO it very rarely works thinking this hasn't worked in colour I will try mono.

Absolutely agree.

Quote: unlike some I dont "see" in mono - but I do think in mono.

A good distinction, although it can blur at times. I think think mono, and sometimes can visualize how the picture will turn out, bit that's not necessarily 'seeing' in mono.

To some extent it's a matter of language, and for those starting out on mono, or wanting to explore it, suggesting they need to see in mono could be off-putting - unless they listen to Radio 3 regularly. Wink

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
7 Aug 2010 - 9:58 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Gaucho
Gaucho e2 Member 122275 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
9 Aug 2010 - 3:00 PM

Many, many moons ago, I used to do a bit of B&W printing. I have very recently taken the plunge digitally and I am still trying to see which method is best. I won't be going down the Silver Efex route just yet so I am currently using gradient map and channel mixer with some judicious burning and dodging. Is there any other method I should be testing out? Hadn't thought of using Photo Engine first so will have to give it a go.

5598-lac-de-jourres-4.jpg

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014838 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
9 Aug 2010 - 4:14 PM

just read the earlier parts of the thread Gaucho - we listed all the methods we could think of. There's loads, just a case of finding one you like

I used to be a huge fan of

Channel Mixer -> Curves -> Sharpen

to get the effect I was after, but now I can do most of that in Silver EFX, I've changed direction.

Gaucho
Gaucho e2 Member 122275 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
9 Aug 2010 - 5:05 PM

Thanks Ade. I'll have to look into Silver EFX but not until I've exhausted these other methods.

Malcolm

User_Removed
9 Aug 2010 - 6:49 PM

Quote: just read the earlier parts of the thread Gaucho

Isn't that this thread. I'm beginning to lose track. Tongue

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.