Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Why Black & White?

User_Removed 11 455 13 United Kingdom
7 Aug 2010 9:58AM

Quote:IMHO it very rarely works thinking this hasn't worked in colour I will try mono.

Absolutely agree.

Quote:unlike some I dont "see" in mono - but I do think in mono.

A good distinction, although it can blur at times. I think think mono, and sometimes can visualize how the picture will turn out, bit that's not necessarily 'seeing' in mono.

To some extent it's a matter of language, and for those starting out on mono, or wanting to explore it, suggesting they need to see in mono could be off-putting - unless they listen to Radio 3 regularly. Wink

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Gaucho e2
12 2.3k 2 United Kingdom
9 Aug 2010 3:00PM
Many, many moons ago, I used to do a bit of B&W printing. I have very recently taken the plunge digitally and I am still trying to see which method is best. I won't be going down the Silver Efex route just yet so I am currently using gradient map and channel mixer with some judicious burning and dodging. Is there any other method I should be testing out? Hadn't thought of using Photo Engine first so will have to give it a go.

5598-lac-de-jourres-4.jpg

ade_mcfade e2
10 14.8k 216 England
9 Aug 2010 4:14PM
just read the earlier parts of the thread Gaucho - we listed all the methods we could think of. There's loads, just a case of finding one you like

I used to be a huge fan of

Channel Mixer -> Curves -> Sharpen

to get the effect I was after, but now I can do most of that in Silver EFX, I've changed direction.
Gaucho e2
12 2.3k 2 United Kingdom
9 Aug 2010 5:05PM
Thanks Ade. I'll have to look into Silver EFX but not until I've exhausted these other methods.

Malcolm
User_Removed 11 455 13 United Kingdom
9 Aug 2010 6:49PM

Quote:just read the earlier parts of the thread Gaucho

Isn't that this thread . I'm beginning to lose track. Tongue

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.