Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Why cant I seem to get paid work

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

olaa
olaa  3 United Kingdom
20 Aug 2012 - 11:25 PM

So i know I have Creative talent im a Photographer Makeup Artist and Hair stylist and have put these togther to get more work as a Neche
I have produced some really great images and when I have been paid the client has been impressed but I cant seem to build my reputation for paid work.
any sugestions or advice welcome xmmmg-9122-copy.jpg-asp1613-0310-2.jpg

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
20 Aug 2012 - 11:25 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ianrobinson
ianrobinson e2 Member 41107 forum postsianrobinson vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
21 Aug 2012 - 12:02 AM

welcome to photography.

Wink

redsnappa
redsnappa  111898 forum posts United Kingdom
21 Aug 2012 - 6:54 AM

There is a recession on at the moment & people are refaining from spending money on unnecessary items.

NEWDIGIT
NEWDIGIT  3401 forum posts United Kingdom
21 Aug 2012 - 8:49 AM

Have you tryed approaching the bigger saloons in your area or perhaps localcolleges that do courses in makeup and beauty they may perhaps be able to offer you work

olaa
olaa  3 United Kingdom
21 Aug 2012 - 9:38 AM

I understand there is a recession redsnappa but when im seeing companies paying hair styist makeup artist and photographers indivually to take pictures of one model in one dress wouldnt it be economical to just pay be to do the whole job? Newdigit what type of work do you think I could get from big salons and colleges?

simont
simont  102248 forum posts England4 Constructive Critique Points
21 Aug 2012 - 11:32 AM

First impressions? I'm (im), I (i) and bung in a few more full stops and commas.

puertouk
puertouk  21053 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
21 Aug 2012 - 11:46 AM

You have to realise they are thousands of photographers out their chasing a very small market. Most fashion photographers are signed up to either fashion houses or magazines. So, why would they want to bring another photographer in with little or no experience into the fashion industry?

It's a big risk for any company to bring in someone new, especially when you are talking, either thousands or millions of pounds. Maybe it's being in the right place at the right time, but to get into the fashion industry is extremely difficult. You also seem to be a jack-of-all-trades. Photographer, makeup artist and hair sylist. Hmmmm, do you think a fashion magazine or an indusry as an whole want someone like yourself? Maybe some small paper who do fashion articles may be interested.

If I were you, start at the bottom. Go to local papers and see if they would be interested in your services. Get your work into local papers and go from there. Go around the hair stylist shops in your area and see if they would be interested in putting some of your images into there studios.

Maybe try some of the small retail fashion shops. Go see the owners and ask if they would be interested in doing a fashion shoot and putting your images into their shops.

This is where you will have to start. Hopefully someone will recognise your work from maybe a larger newspaper or a top hair studio or even someone from a fashion magazine. The more of your work that is out there, the more chance you have of being spotted. But trust me, it's hard work and a lot of rejections and foot slogging around the place showing off your work.
Stephen

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
olaa
olaa  3 United Kingdom
21 Aug 2012 - 12:07 PM

Puertouk Thanks very much for the advice, I realise I have a lot of strings to my bow but I cant help that fact. I think small fashion shops will be my best bet .thanks again.

simont ............,,,,,,,,,,,,, hows that

582739-10150738543754010-1673925228-n.jpg

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139388 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
21 Aug 2012 - 12:09 PM

The most successful photographers are very good at marketing themselves - pretty much the same as any sort of freelance business, in fact.

User_Removed
21 Aug 2012 - 12:47 PM

Right on the money CB...

stuvine
stuvine  863 forum posts United Kingdom
21 Aug 2012 - 1:01 PM

Olaa, I understand where you are coming from, but could it be that prospective clients are seeing you as a "jack of all trades"? I know you are looking at being able to offer them an all in one solution, but how well are you marketing that you are as good as them hiring seperate make-up artists, hairstylists and a photographer? Can you give your clients as good a service as them paying a bit extra and hiring seperate professionals? Or could your potential clients see you as a "budget" solution, and you are losing out on potential higher paying clients because of this?
Just something to think about.
Cheers

Stu

Rod20
Rod20  2 United Kingdom
21 Aug 2012 - 1:23 PM

Agree with you Stu, "jack of all trades" syndrome will not help.

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53529 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
21 Aug 2012 - 2:06 PM

LOL - Jack of all trades is bad then :-( I'll need to change my username.
Hi Ola, i think location is another possibility - what opportunities, regular ones, can you see in say a 50 mile area around you?

As mentioned its gotta be marketing, you need to make sure that people think of you when they they need a photo, or maybe even help them think of what photo's they need.

As said there are loads of us looking to make money as either full-time photographers or weekend warriors - so what make you special in the potential clients eyes?

Good lick
Stuart

Focus_Man
Focus_Man  4481 forum posts United Kingdom631 Constructive Critique Points
21 Aug 2012 - 2:08 PM

I think you have discovered the problems encountered by many people who are extremely good at what they do.

The problem facing them is knowing how to create and, more importantly, how to run a business.

I remember two people who were very good at what they did (no names no pack-drill), they started a business as partners and their first priority was to dash out and purchase a BMW each as company cars, leased obviously. They failed in year one because of cash flow. I heard that one of the first reasons for business failure in year one was just that kind of thing. Wanting all the accoutriments before the work flow had been established.

Unless you get a lucky break and find a good customer or two early on, remember 'slowly, slowly catchee monkey'. Start with whatever you can get, however small then produce stunning work. These small fashion houses' purchasing managers do talk to each other and maybe that way you will become known.Tthere is nothing so good as 'word of mouth' recommendations.

Last Modified By Focus_Man at 21 Aug 2012 - 2:11 PM
lemmy
lemmy  71768 forum posts United Kingdom
21 Aug 2012 - 2:11 PM

Quote: hiring separate make-up artists, hairstylists and a photographer

I agree strongly. To me, a photographer/ stylist/ hairdesser smacks strongly of jack of all trades and doing things on the cheap. All those trades are ones that require different contacts, training and experience. The chances of finding someone who can do them all equally well is remote and any one of them not done well ruins the whole package. That would be my thought as a picture editor. It just sounds a bit unprofessional, like you don't understand the business too well -even if you do, it sounds that way.

But in the end, there are many reasons people don't use someone's services. Among them is that maybe your images are not as great as you say. The best picture editor I ever worked for had a particular dislike pf photographers who (as he put it) 'talked a good picture'.

Sound to me like you need to be persistent and work even harder than you have been for as long as it takes. As someone said previously, no different from any other business, really.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.