Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Why did you upload THAT picture?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    IanA
    IanA  113048 forum posts England12 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Jul 2004 - 7:06 AM

What criteria do you use to choose a picture to upload? Do you go out to take a specific picture or just take pics and see what you have when you get home?
    I have recently visited a few locations where I had no idea what I might find and struggled to decide what was 'good' or not because I had no preconcieved idea. So how do you decide?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    24 Jul 2004 - 7:06 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

janehewitt
    janehewitt  11215 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Jul 2004 - 8:21 AM

I take loads of photos of the same shot and then run them as a slide show on my laptop, when I see one that makes me look twice or think 'yes' that's one, I upload that! Its nothing technical, just my gut feeling. I'm starting to be more confident and upload shots I like not shots I think will have general appeal, does that make sense? Mind you sometimes I take 50 or so shots of a flower and bin them all, I need the practice. jane

SuziBlue
    SuziBlue  1116195 forum posts Scotland10 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Jul 2004 - 8:52 AM

Gut feeling. Even when I upload pics I'm not sure about and need feedback on - my original 'sunshine on a rainy day' was one such - where I didn't know what the heck was going on with it but I knew there was something in it worth working on. The feedback I gets helps me identify what my gut reaction was about and what might need a tweak - really helps.

UserRemoved
    24 Jul 2004 - 9:10 AM

Mixed, but only gone out to take a specific shot twice, one of which was my 'Waterchute', t'other being one I've never uploaded.

Ironically, I want to return to both locations and do it all again! Both very weather/time of day dependant and now I know it can work, want to make it work well!

Otherwise, take it as it comes - still bad at taking a number of the same subject

Miles Herbert
    24 Jul 2004 - 9:17 AM

The only criteria I use is whether or not I like the image. For landscape shots I tend to have a preconcieved idea of what I want, and how I want to portray the scene, and will keep going back there when I think conditions are right, until I get what I want. For other shots, especially zoo shots, I'll just choose an animal, set up the camera on a tripod and wait...and wait...and wait..until it does something to give it a little intrest. Hopefully when it does do something I'll be quick enough to catch it.

To me, if I like the shot, in my eyes it's good. I think one of the things that I liked most about film was that it forced you to slow down and think...where as with my digital I can machine gun a scene and pick THE shot that works. Actually I'm starting to get a secret hankering to start using film more again....

IanA
    IanA  113048 forum posts England12 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Jul 2004 - 10:03 AM

On 'same subject' shots I find that the best comes from the first one or two frames and that playing around trying to improve it seldom works, or not in my eyes anyway.
    Gut feeling comes in at the point the shutter is pressed and knowing that you have caught the 'right' momment. Often spoiled when you get home and find the image ruined by the shakes or the focus being slightly out etc.
    As for film slowing you down and making you think, I have toyed with the idea a couple of times over the last year and decided against it on the grounds of self disipline. I don't know if it has worked, but I do think a little more before I press the shutter (always assuming the subject isn't moving too fast!)

UserHasLeft
    24 Jul 2004 - 10:08 AM

At the end of each day I transfer all pictures from the day to my pc and browse through them. When one says "Look at me!" I examine it for a few minutes and decide whether I like it enough to move it to my "best stuff" folder. From this folder I choose images to either upload or modify.

I hardly ever have a preconceived idea about a shot.

Ade_Osman
    Ade_Osman e2 Member 114521 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Jul 2004 - 11:08 AM

Fairly easy for me as most of my stuff is macro, usually insects and such like. I normally visit one of about six local nature reserves, depending on time of year, weather and what I actually want to shoot. I go out see what I can find and then return home to see what I have actually captured, that's about it really. If I'm doing landscape stuff, my other favourite subject although I ain't really any good at it, well that normally takes a bit of planning, although living near Bristol I'm spoilt for choice and never find I have to travel very far....Regards...Ade

keithh
    keithh e2 Member 1023203 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Jul 2004 - 2:25 PM

I just have a trawl around on a Monday morning and think, yep, that'll do. The main criteria running through my mind, is how will it look after compression and resizing? Many of my images have to undergo so much compression its just not worth putting them up.
    The shots themselves are just images that appeal to me....although I have on occasion used the site to gauge reaction.

mattw
    mattw  105189 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Jul 2004 - 2:42 PM

I enter a number of competitions at my camera club, and I have also started selling a few prints. It is useful to me to upload photos as see what reaction they get. Take my two recent uploads from Bodmin moor - 2 Similar shots, and I can't decide which I like best. From the response, others seem to find it difficult as well....

When I go out, I often have idea of what I want to get. With Landscapes, I know where I am going, although, as I tend to travel some distance, I pretty much have to take the weather as it comes.

Mattw

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.