Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Why do governments allow spoof sites to remain in business?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    thewilliam
    3 Apr 2014 - 11:11 AM

The was an interesting piece in the Huffington Post about spoof sites

http://cars.aol.co.uk/2014/04/02/motorists-duped-out-of-40-by-misleading-tax-ren...

In this case, the site has been allowed to continue with a .gov.uk address, even though it has nothing to do with the UK government. Why does Nominet approve the domain registration? Why are phishing sites allowed to remain in business?

Now that so many government bodies, such as HMRC with self assessment, demand that we work online, more innocent people are going to get hurt.

Or is it because we have a government of thieves and for thieves?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    3 Apr 2014 - 11:11 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

robthecamman
    3 Apr 2014 - 11:24 AM

aol cant talk it needs to get its own house in order

davidburleson
    davidburleson ePHOTOzine Staff 72350 forum postsdavidburleson vcard United Kingdom
    3 Apr 2014 - 11:44 AM

Quote: Why does Nominet approve the domain registration?

Good question. There will be a number of reasons why it's been allowed. I didn't even know you could register a .gov.uk site without the government's approval. Then again, I may be completely wrong there.

Quote: Why are phishing sites allowed to remain in business?

Phishing sites are illegal and for most cases are shut down if they are found to be registered and running in the UK. The site mentioned isn't a phishing site. There are providing a service for you and charge you a fee. Similar to the whole PPI claim stuff. You can do it yourself, or you can choose one of the many services set up (many themed to look 'official') to do it for you at a fee.

Phishing sites try to mimic reputable sites to gain your trust and capture your login credentials or credit card details to be used or sold on for illegal activity.

Quote: Now that so many government bodies, such as HMRC with self assessment, demand that we work online, more innocent people are going to get hurt.

Online is no different than offline. How do you know that the garage you are taking your car do isn't ripping you off? What about the trademan you hired? Or even your financial advisor? Buyer beware. Do your homework and you'll be fine.

Last Modified By davidburleson at 3 Apr 2014 - 11:53 AM
    Belleyeteres
    Belleyeteres e2 Member 369 forum postsBelleyeteres vcard United Kingdom
    3 Apr 2014 - 12:36 PM

Because the government is has corrupt has they are.

thewilliam
    3 Apr 2014 - 3:53 PM

I've been getting "tax rebate notifications" from hmr.co.uk for some months and another one has just arrived.

The first one was reported but nothing has been done to shut it down. Or is the priority somewhere below household burglary or theft from a motor vehicle?

chris.maddock
    3 Apr 2014 - 4:46 PM

Quote: The was an interesting piece in the Huffington Post about spoof sites

http://cars.aol.co.uk/2014/04/02/motorists-duped-out-of-40-by-misleading-tax-ren...

In this case, the site has been allowed to continue with a .gov.uk address, even though it has nothing to do with the UK government.

In this case, as far as I can see, the site quoted in the AOL article is actually the genuine DVLA tax disc renewal site which, of course, explains why it's "allowed" a gov.uk URL Wink

There certainly are spoof sites which charge, although their reasoning is that they are providing services over and above what DVLA do, e.g. checking applications rather like the services that are (or, at least, were) offered by the Post Office for a charge.
    If people choose to use those sites that's their choice - however, I do think that the sites should be forced to make it much clearer that they are not the DVLA, and certainly should have their choice of site design and colours stamped on very firmly so that people aren't caught out.

davidburleson
    davidburleson ePHOTOzine Staff 72350 forum postsdavidburleson vcard United Kingdom
    3 Apr 2014 - 4:56 PM

Quote: I've been getting "tax rebate notifications" from hmr.co.uk for some months and another one has just arrived.

The first one was reported but nothing has been done to shut it down. Or is the priority somewhere below household burglary or theft from a motor vehicle?

A tax rebate from a nursing and medical services site? What you are getting there is spam/viruses. Often times spammers masks their actual sending address with a fake one of a legit site, i get them all the time from amazon, facebook, etc. They aren't real and in most cases, they aren't even the located in the UK. They are pure and simple international spammers or hackers who have found an email server somewhere that they can exploit. The only way the UK government could stop this would be to take full control of all internet traffic going in and out of the country. I'm sure there aren't many people who would be happy with that.

Last Modified By davidburleson at 3 Apr 2014 - 4:58 PM
    thewilliam
    3 Apr 2014 - 5:03 PM

[quote
    In this case, as far as I can see, the site quoted in the AOL article is actually the genuine DVLA tax disc renewal site which, of course, explains why it's "allowed" a gov.uk URL Wink

There certainly are spoof sites which charge, although their reasoning is that they are providing services over and above what DVLA do, e.g. checking applications rather like the services that are (or, at least, were) offered by the Post Office for a charge.
    If people choose to use those sites that's their choice - however, I do think that the sites should be forced to make it much clearer that they are not the DVLA, and certainly should have their choice of site design and colours stamped on very firmly so that people aren't caught out.
    [/quote]

It seems as if the site in question is a virtual copy of the DVLA site. What about Crown copyright?

chris.maddock
    3 Apr 2014 - 5:19 PM

Quote: It seems as if the site in question is a virtual copy of the DVLA site. What about Crown copyright?

I don't know what the site is that they meant to quote - but the one they have quoted is the genuine one, which you get to if you follow all the links right through from the www.gov.uk site, an official government site can hardly be said to infringe Crown copyright Wink

Maybe we need a law to deal with sloppy journalists who don't check what they type before publishing - transportation to Rockall would seem a suitable punishment for first offences, transportation to the homeland of the proprietor of most of them for second offences?

Last Modified By chris.maddock at 3 Apr 2014 - 5:23 PM
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.